New book about graphic adventures.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Morkin

New book about graphic adventures.

Post by Morkin » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:51 am

Noticed this on Twitter last night.

Graphic Adventures, the Book

Early last year after reading a book about Lucasfilm, I wanted much more information on my beloved games like Maniac Mansion, Secret of Monkey Island or Loom. I ended up browsing Wikipedia for info on these titles, and that in turn gave me the idea of turning the Wikipedia articles into a book of its own. I’ve started the project with Google Docs but after hitting the usual limits, went to offline HTML editing and setting up several tools to get the formatting right, and then started a Lulu self-publishing project for this.

What I did was edit the Wikipedia articles through heavy or light rewriting, depending on what I figured the article would need to look good in book form. I then went to find additional information from other sources where I felt having more could be fun, and I added screenshots. And then I conducted interviews with many people who were involved in producing the classic graphic adventures. I interviewed creators like Al Lowe of Leisure Suit Larry, Lucasfilm’s David Fox, and Michael Bywater, who worked with Douglas Adams on the game Starship Titanic. The book took much longer than expected... the original idea after all was to merely compile an encyclopedia from Wikipedia, a book for perhaps a small but dedicated group of fans like me. But after sending myself the first draft version, I realized much more editing was needed to have something really fun.

To make a long story short, the book is now available at Amazon and Lulu and also got a page of its own here! It’s called “Graphic Adventures: Being a Mostly Correct History of the Adventure Game Classics By Lucasfilm, Sierra and Others, from the Pages of Wikipedia”, and includes games like Maniac Mansion, Labyrinth, Time Zone, Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Zork Nemesis, Myst, Indiana Jones, Monkey Island and Grim Fandango.

50% of the book revenues will be donated back to Wikimedia. Your feedback as usual is welcome. I’m not the author but just the editor or compiler of the info – the authors are everyone who ever edited Wikipedia, and by Wikipedia’s rules the full copy of the book can also be downloaded for free in an editable version. This book is a project of love for the genre of graphic adventures, so if you were or are a fan of that too, I hope this fan project will also give something to you.
Here's a link to the full contents.

http://blogoscoped.com/graphic-adventures/

Antiriad2097

Re: New book about graphic adventures.

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:53 am

Nice idea, shame he failed on the first hurdle by using the wrong title. None of the games he's writing about are Graphic Adventures, they're Point n Click adventures ;)

Still, at least with Lulu there's no limited print run or anything, so you don't need to dive into the unknown, you can wait for reviews without missing the availability.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:16 am

I probably should've waited for reviews, but I've just bought it from The Book Depository as I can't help myself when it comes to books on gaming. :oops:

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:58 pm

You could buy this, or you could just point your browser at Wikipedia and find the articles for yourself, for free. I don't really see the point of this book.

I like point and click games as much as the next guy, but a book should offer something new to its field, right? There's a case for a book compliling multiple sources into one handy volume, but Wikipedia is just about as handy as you can get.

Colour me confused.

Let us know what you think when you get your copy, Morkin.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:18 am

Read the description again. Its not just a Wikipedia copy, its only been used as a source. There's been subsequent rewrites, additions and screenshots added.

And I can't read Wikipedia on the bus or in the bog (well, I could, but its not the same).

As a thought for the OP: Will there be an ebook version?
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:48 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Nice idea, shame he failed on the first hurdle by using the wrong title. None of the games he's writing about are Graphic Adventures, they're Point n Click adventures ;)
You sure?

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... x=46&ty=51
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:10 pm

He's right though. Graphic Adventures is the name for text parser adventures with a graphics area, like the first Larry game. Point & Click are the later ones that still used graphics but had you using the mouse to point and click in them to interact with the environment.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:58 pm

Lorfarius wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Nice idea, shame he failed on the first hurdle by using the wrong title. None of the games he's writing about are Graphic Adventures, they're Point n Click adventures ;)
You sure?

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... x=46&ty=51
Positive.

Lucas is not infallible, we have Jar Jar to prove that sometimes he gets it horribly wrong.

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:44 pm

StickHead wrote:You could buy this, or you could just point your browser at Wikipedia and find the articles for yourself, for free. I don't really see the point of this book.
You must have missed the part where it said he added info from other sources, added screenshots, and interviewed the creators, in addition to all the Wikipedia information (which he also rewrote and edited).

This is hardly just a compilation of Wikipedia articles.

Tabe