the worst controller

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

snowkatt

the worst controller

Post by snowkatt » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:44 pm

retro or not
a few days ago ( before i signed up anyway ) there was a poll for the best retro controller out there
but what about the worst ones ?
the ones that barley respond
are over complicated
make your hands hurt
or are just plain ugly ?

my first vote might be sacrilige and you lot might holler for my blood and want to nail my retro gaming creditials along side me to the wall but its the nes controller
great controller it might be its as ergonomic as a brick
it is a brick my hands hurt each time i pick it up

my second vote goes to the atari jaguar controller 4 face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons isnt enough ?
we need to have overlays and telephone style buttons in 1994 ?

third vote : the n64's prong controller a mystery to hold at first and the analouge stick is feeble the fact that it wears out over the years is its biggest problem i got 3 of them and they are all 3 broken

dishonorable mentions

atari 5200 : they are all broken !

the cube : not that much wrong with it beyond being ugly and having a horribly small d pad

the dual shock : that d pad ? it just sucks
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

C=Style

Re: the worst controller

Post by C=Style » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:22 pm

Yeah the N64 pad does wear out quick, bit of a shame as when you get your hands on a new controller they feel so great, there's some good guides on how to lubricate the bearing with grease to prolong it's life. They have the tightest analogue stick out of all controllers I've used and I love the position of the face buttons and Z Trigger. But on the flipside a knackered N64 controller is a horrible thing indeed. The D-pad is also a bit lame, in fact the whole of the left side could have been omitted in all honesty.

The Dual Shock is a controller I dislike, a complete brick of a controller which offers no subtlety imo. the D-pad is terrible for anything that isn't a menu, the sticks are too close together and too loose, and there's no grip on the controller, your fingers are always hanging off the stubbed ends. It's not the worst I've ever used though, but it's close and certainly one of the most uncomfortable for prolonged sessions.

I guess the Jaguar is the worst I've used overall, ergonomics went down the pan, poor D-pad and only 3 face buttons despite being the size of a small netbook. But to be fair I've not actually used it much.

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:00 pm

Joysticks:

The worst ones are the Atari VCS ones - classic design, terrible as a joystick. The Commodore one that is similar is similarly horrible. Also pretty much all the flight stick type ones like the Quickshot 2 Turbo. Especially ones that didn't have microswitches, as the leaf switches broke a lot.

Joypads:

Any that don't have analogue controls, as the d-pad is the worst way to play a game, EVER! They are even worse than keys, and that's saying something. The d-pad is good for menus, or selecting modes and weapons, but absolutely not for controlling your character.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:19 pm

The Konix Navigator... feckin awful

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:20 pm

People tend to forget the Jaguar Controller was auctually meant for the Atari Falcon.That bombed so it ended up on the Jaguar and yes was a bloody mare to use. I`ve also little/No love for: The Nes controller, nor the Gamecube controller.DC+N64 controllers not too hot either. Worst one`s though? any of the novelty crap that`s done the rounds.Forget the name of it now, but the Hand Grenade shaped one for the C64, also the Batman/Aliens/Bart Simpson themed ones.Of NO pratical use what so ever.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:27 pm

The RE chainsaw controller is of little practical value.

Looks cool though.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

RetroStation
Location: 'RETRO STATION', Sutton Inshops, 65 South Parade, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, B72 1QU.

Post by RetroStation » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:33 pm

One of the worst pads i have used is the 'Nako pad' a 3rd party controller for the N64, but the absolute worst pads in my eyes are the crappy 'air pads' for the ps1 or psx. They were circular and have a motion sensor meaning you tilt to move forward etc, you could also change the face-plates on them. Total trash as far as i am concerned! :twisted:

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:41 pm

When playing four player Goldeneye on N64 at uni we had 3 official pads and a competition pro pad. Needless to say no one wanted that pile of cack.

But the worst one ever?

THE WRIST SLAYER! Try playing Daley Thompson on this bad boy!

Stiff as a board, no clue as to how much you need to push to register movement (maybe until you hear your wrist crack), crap for lefties, impossible to hold comfortably.

Looks nice though.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:44 pm

The jag pad is the worst ergonomics and is generally truly awful. it did briefly bring back the keypad overlay though!

Atari 2600 - i loved (ie hated) the fact that they didn't sell those white plastic inserts that get breaking, so you had to buy a new joystick. Years too late, they brought out the "joystick repair kit" which i think included the fire button? Not sure how exactly you'd break one of those.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:49 pm

StickHead wrote:When playing four player Goldeneye on N64 at uni we had 3 official pads and a competition pro pad. Needless to say no one wanted that pile of cack.

But the worst one ever?

crap for lefties,

Strangely, i never had any problems holding a 2600 stick. (and yep, i'm left handed.) I found it quite easy to grip the stick across the top edge with my right hand and just let my thumb rest on the fire button. Good solid grip and pretty comfy.

Who said lefties were awkward? :wink:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:04 pm

StickHead wrote:When playing four player Goldeneye on N64 at uni we had 3 official pads and a competition pro pad. Needless to say no one wanted that pile of cack.

But the worst one ever?

THE WRIST SLAYER! Try playing Daley Thompson on this bad boy!

Stiff as a board, no clue as to how much you need to push to register movement (maybe until you hear your wrist crack), crap for lefties, impossible to hold comfortably.

Looks nice though.

here here,

atari one is possibly the cackest one of all, unresponsive and actually hurts after a while, but is truly iconic looking though :D

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:10 pm

The CD32 pad, without a shadow of a doubt, closely followed by the Konix Speed King. I also had this really beautiful looking and feeling (in terms of weight, texture etc.) Megadrive pad, forgotten the name of it, think it was American, excellent build quality and aesthetically lovely but an absolute b@stard to actually use. They used to advertise them in Gamefan back in the mid 90s, god knows what the manufacturer was called...

I've never understood the Dual Shock hate, I've always found it easy pulling off moves in SF2 on it (though there's no doubt it takes a bit of 'panning in' to get it nicely comfy for 2D games.) I'm quite a big fan of it, actually(!) :wink:

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:15 pm

JazzFunk wrote:The CD32 pad, without a shadow of a doubt, closely followed by the Konix Speed King. I also had this really beautiful looking and feeling (in terms of weight, texture etc.) Megadrive pad, forgotten the name of it, think it was American, excellent build quality and aesthetically lovely but an absolute b@stard to actually use. They used to advertise them in Gamefan back in the mid 90s, god knows what the manufacturer was called...

I've never understood the Dual Shock hate, I've always found it easy pulling off moves in SF2 on it (though there's no doubt it takes a bit of 'panning in' to get it nicely comfy for 2D games.) I'm quite a big fan of it, actually(!) :wink:
The Dual Shock is a bit bog-standard, but it does the job. At least they've loosened up the d-pad since the PSone days - playing anything for any period of time with the original PS controller was akin to rubbing your thumb vigorously over a piece of sandpaper.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Cauterize

Post by Cauterize » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:21 pm

JazzFunk wrote:The CD32 pad, without a shadow of a doubt
While it pain's me to agree with this, I know deep down it could be an awesome control pad should the D-Pad actually be a decent one...

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:29 pm

Speaking soley from personal experience I'd say the N64 is the worst pad I've had to use. The analogue stick is unfriendly, the button layout is spastic and the whole thing is designed for someone with three hands.

It doesn't stop me enjoying some of the games but cor, was I ever grateful for a GC re-release of Zelda :lol: