R4 cards (etc.) ruled illegal in UK

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MikeFishcake

Re: R4 cards (etc.) ruled illegal in UK

Post by MikeFishcake » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:19 am

I can understand why they did it - Pretty much every other R4 owning person I know does use them for playing pirated games, but I only use mine for emulation. Shame.

So will this increase the popularity of the GP2X/Pandora/Wiz handhelds then do we reckon?

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:10 am

Since it's not legislation, but rather common law, this means that Nintendo will have to enforce it, in suing anyone who breaks it, not the crown. I think, anyway. Also, the article I read merely states importing, buying and advertising; as far as I can tell, if you already own one, you're fine for now.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:27 am

You mean civil law, and the process of enforcement you describe is typical for dealing with disputes between individuals, or individuals and public or commercial bodies. It's the same as you deciding to build a big hedge without permission and your neighbour complaining - just because there is no crime against the state, it doesn't mean to say your neighbour won't seek damages through the courts. The fact of something being civil not criminal doesn't necessarily downplay the significance, it just changes the judicial process.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:13 pm

QuantumCrayons wrote:if you already own one, you're fine for now.
and if I do own one now, when will I not be fine in the future! :D

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:16 pm

sscott wrote:
QuantumCrayons wrote:if you already own one, you're fine for now.
and if I do own one now, when will I not be fine in the future! :D
When the FBI come a knockin'
Splink!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:02 pm

I noticed that this was mentioned on the CBBC show Newsround earlier (I caught the end of it before The Weakest Link was on). Probabably in an attempt to scare kids and send them on some kind of guilt trip.

But just like that Bad Influence show a while back that inadvertantly showed how to copy games for the Amiga and SNES, all it's probably done is made the (few) kids who weren't already aware of them want one. And they'll still be easy to buy from places online, it's not like they were ever openly sold in high street stores anyway, or even blatently advertised online, you've always had to specifically search for them.

The law may have given Nintendo more power to attack those who are gullty of selling them (in the UK) but little, if anything will change.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:36 am

ToxieDogg wrote: And they'll still be easy to buy from places online, it's not like they were ever openly sold in high street stores anyway, or even blatently advertised online, you've always had to specifically search for them.
You want to have a walk through Hartlepool ...... I know of 5 shops that openly advertise them in their shop windows and 2 shops have them as part of their newspaper adverts....

Most of the `unlock your phone shops` and computer shops around here seem to have them.......I know one that will fill a 2gb card with a selection of roms for a extra fiver and for a tenner will add any games you want........

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:37 am

True for Worcester as well where it was the biggest sign in the window of a mobile phone shop in the middle of the pedestrianised shopping drag.

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:40 am

ToxieDogg wrote:I noticed that this was mentioned on the CBBC show Newsround earlier (I caught the end of it before The Weakest Link was on). Probabably in an attempt to scare kids and send them on some kind of guilt trip.

But just like that Bad Influence show a while back that inadvertantly showed how to copy games for the Amiga and SNES, all it's probably done is made the (few) kids who weren't already aware of them want one. And they'll still be easy to buy from places online, it's not like they were ever openly sold in high street stores anyway, or even blatently advertised online, you've always had to specifically search for them.

The law may have given Nintendo more power to attack those who are gullty of selling them (in the UK) but little, if anything will change.
Well, there's a catch-22 here. If the media report on the ruling, then we all laugh at them and imply that they're simply providing free advertising for the R4 - the idiots!

If they don't, then when Nintendo tries to get a case to court we'll all be complaining that the verdict wasn't reported and that people couldn't reasonably have known about it.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:41 am

Everyone who owns one of these types of cards bought it to play pirated games.
Ok, so now that's out the way let's deal with the real issue:

Does the fact you own one of these cards actually mean you would have bought the games if you didn't rob them? :lol:

Can't blame the industry for wanting them banned tbh. Fake fags and knock-off clothes are banned in this Country, but it doesn't stop us all knowing a bloke on every street who's flogging them. :roll:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.