R4 cards (etc.) ruled illegal in UK

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Coopdevil

R4 cards (etc.) ruled illegal in UK

Post by Coopdevil » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:59 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10790835

Still, that might cut down the amount of spam I keep getting from the company I bought mine from.

Fred83

Re: R4 cards (etc.) ruled illegal in UK

Post by Fred83 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:05 am

They cant beat china so they pick europe to enforce their law.

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:36 am

Crazy stuff.

I'd love to see the high courts description of how blank: video tapes, cassette tapes, CD-Rs and DVD-Rs are any different. In fact, why not go the whole hog and make HDDs and any form of flash memory card illegal :roll:

Come to think of it, why not ban the internet as it's the main delivery method, and China as the place of manufacture, and light, that should be illegal too since fibre optics use light to distribute the pirate goods...

Chris

cruachan

Post by cruachan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:45 am

exactly - a pc should be considered just as illegal as these cards because i can download a ds emulator and roms and play them on my pc, thus negating the need for not only flash cards but the ds aswell.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:48 am

I'd be silly to argue with the decision as it's true what they say. These "R4" websites kinda take the censored. It is a shame though, not for the piracy but for the cool emulators like Speccy DS and Lame Boy. Still, there will be ways around this, and you will still be able to import them, just have to look a bit harder or know the right places. :D

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:56 am

So now would be a decent time to sell my DS lite with R4 cart?

cruachan

Post by cruachan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:08 pm

Well - I have an DSTT card but also enjoy collecting real games for the DS .... either way its not illegal here ...... yet!

merman

Post by merman » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:11 pm

Corranga wrote:Crazy stuff.

I'd love to see the high courts description of how blank: video tapes, cassette tapes, CD-Rs and DVD-Rs are any different. In fact, why not go the whole hog and make HDDs and any form of flash memory card illegal :roll:

Come to think of it, why not ban the internet as it's the main delivery method, and China as the place of manufacture, and light, that should be illegal too since fibre optics use light to distribute the pirate goods...

Chris
Blank media does not necessarily automatically equal copying/pirating of copyrighted material... and neither does the R4. I got mine to play homebrew (and then wrote an article on DS homebrew & emulation for gamesTM...) In fact, when you buy a blank audio tape, you pay a small levy to the music industry.

It was inevitable that Nintendo would try and crack down on the cards at some point. But it is ironic timing, the day after the US rules you can jail-break a phone...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Corranga

Post by Corranga » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:57 pm

merman wrote:Blank media does not necessarily automatically equal copying/pirating of copyrighted material... and neither does the R4. I got mine to play homebrew (and then wrote an article on DS homebrew & emulation for gamesTM...)
That was sort of my point :wink: I don't see how you can outlaw 1 and not the other!

I bought my Acecard to do some development (just as I did with my GBA flash cart), though I never really did too much with it. My DS game list is currently floating just shy of the 70 mark. my DS Rom count is a big round zero!

Chris

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:06 pm

Apparently the sole justification in the judgement was because the R4 circumvents Nintendo's security software.

Obviously its widely misused as a device to play hooky commercial games but the reason it seems to have been singled out is not specifically what its used for (although that's why the suit was brought) but the manner in which it does it. Not sure where that sits legally TBH.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:16 pm

i note form that article the devices are inferred and not actually named

With that in mind wont they just be circumvented, again?
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:21 pm

Does this ruling not directly clash with my right to make backups of my software?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:43 pm

Who cares?

If you already have a r4 card you are using it for whatever purpose you want

If you want to buy one in the future - you will be able to buy one....

A law passed doesnt stop anyone.....

I would imagine the police (who have a difficult enough job already) have a few more important things to do than check little bobbys r4 card for illegal copies of scribblenauts.

I bet there are a fair few police-persons children with r4 cards in their ds at the moment.....

Stupid law courts wasting tax payers money on laws like this.....

DanWelsh86

Post by DanWelsh86 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:12 pm

If Sony and Nintendo opened up the cards for Homebrew it would negate the need for such devices and a lot less people would be tempted to just download the iso or rom. They'll never win, if someone wants to be a pirate they will be.

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:08 am

merman wrote:
Corranga wrote:Crazy stuff.

Chris
Blank media does not necessarily automatically equal copying/pirating of copyrighted material... and neither does the R4. I got mine to play homebrew (and then wrote an article on DS homebrew & emulation for gamesTM...) In fact, when you buy a blank audio tape, you pay a small levy to the music industry.

It was inevitable that Nintendo would try and crack down on the cards at some point. But it is ironic timing, the day after the US rules you can jail-break a phone...
The key difference between blank DVD/VHS/CD/audio tape and the R4 card is that there are a wide range of perfectly legal applications for the former and very few for the R4. You could use an R4 to code and play your own DS games, but without the necessary development tools and considerable programming experience that's not an easy thing to do - it certainly isn't like shooting your own home movies with a camcorder. I'd argue that a fraction of a percent of R4 owners have the kind of skills necessary for that, so it's not really a defence. That only leaves homebrew and piracy as reasons to own an R4. Homebrew is, I suppose, a legally arguable reason why someone might own such a card, but you're still left with the problem of how the R4 works. Other blank media are supported and manufactured by the same companies who manufacture the hardware to play them on, while the R4 is the polar opposite - it only works by deliberately evading the protection Nintendo has built into the DS. Does Nintendo have the right to protect it's machine from that kind of circumvention? It's an interesting question, and one that the UK courts seem to have answered in the affirmative.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360