Hydro Thunder Hurricane

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mire Mare

Re: Hydro Thunder Hurricane

Post by Mire Mare » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:04 pm

I downloaded the full version today. It's a riot! There's so much more to this than the demo suggests. Absolutely worth a look if you're a fan of arcade racers.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:14 pm

I see you pulled off some great times on the first few tracks last night, I'll have fun trying to beat them. 8)

Really enjoying this game though.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:33 pm

C=Style wrote:I see you pulled off some great times on the first few tracks last night, I'll have fun trying to beat them. 8)

I made sure to beat one yours as well :wink: Good game, though. Might have to fire this up now.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:02 pm

C=Style wrote:I see you pulled off some great times on the first few tracks last night, I'll have fun trying to beat them. 8)

And you've taken another second off on the Powell course! I will try to catch up again but that's an impressive time.

It's incredibly addictive trying to shave time off your best times and catch the next person on the leaderboards. The game just gets better and better and I've still to try out a few boats and a lot of the courses.

@ JSW - What's your gamer tag? I'll add you if that's ok.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:34 am

never really liked hydro thunder so i wil be giving this one a miss
same goes for limbo since i dont like platformers
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

batman877

Post by batman877 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:53 am

Any chance this will get a PS3 release later down the line - or is it an Microsoft exclusive?

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:00 am

batman877 wrote:Any chance this will get a PS3 release later down the line - or is it an Microsoft exclusive?
The demo starts with a big Microsoft Studios splash so I would suspect the latter.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:05 am

microsoft snapped the rights of the series up after midway went bankrupt
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:11 am

Mire Mare wrote:I downloaded the full version today. It's a riot! There's so much more to this than the demo suggests. Absolutely worth a look if you're a fan of arcade racers.
Oh good because I downloaded the demo yesterday and it seemed good but didn't know whether it was worth 1200 points tbh.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:48 am

Its' the greatest thing I've ever seen :shock:

Hydro Thunder is one of my favourite Dreamcast games, I'd definitely get this if I had a 360.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:15 pm

Mire Mare wrote:@ JSW - What's your gamer tag? I'll add you if that's ok.
Should have left in my sig, but it's RicardoTubbs82.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:21 pm

It's really good fun to have a nice bit of friendly competition with these time trails and getting to learn the tracks. I'm shocked that out of my friends list only you 2 and Sexy Wayne have bothered to pick this up!

The more I play this game the more I laugh at that IGN review, they got it soooo wrong. :D This game is a modern day classic arcade racer.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:26 pm

C=Style wrote:It's really good fun to have a nice bit of friendly competition with these time trails and getting to learn the tracks. I'm shocked that out of my friends list only you 2 and Sexy Wayne have bothered to pick this up!

The more I play this game the more I laugh at that IGN review, they got it soooo wrong. :D This game is a modern day classic arcade racer.
I haven't read the review. TBH, I don't have any trust in games reviewers any more (RG accepted, of course). I personally, find it fun, if a little infuriating at times (most notibly the ring tracks. Bastards!) Still a fantastic way to revitalise the franchise though, and the hidden packages are a right sod to find, but that makes it challenging.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:36 pm

Yeah you're right actually, it does have that frustrating element, sometimes the waves can really throw you about and off course. Though I'm well versed in Motorstorm Pacific Rift where you may as well be racing on bouncy castles, so I can just about deal with these minor frustrations :D

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:38 pm

I must admit I was really disappointed with this. It looks ok but sufferes from minor frame rate drops which is a shame as apart from the water it is doing very little. The handling model is pretty dull too, though the boost mechanic and time trial element does help. Tracks are pretty good fun mind though I hate the blurring effect on a huge jump as it dampens the feel of the height.

After being a huge fan the original on the DC it just doesn't feel exciting. Also have been playing a lot of Wave Race and Splashdown lately and both are far superior.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)