Hydro Thunder Hurricane

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

C=Style

Hydro Thunder Hurricane

Post by C=Style » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:39 am

Anyone picked this up? Brilliant game, if you enjoyed the original then you got to get this. I'd say this is the best water racer since Wave Race 64, this actually has really good water physics which are similar. I am already pretty damn addicted to it heh, the graphics are nice but it's the gameplay they really stands out.

Here's a quick vid if you're not sure what it is: <click>

TheNewMonkey

Re: Hydro Thunder Hurricane

Post by TheNewMonkey » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:06 am

i didnt realise this came out today! im gunna get on it now :D
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:38 am

I've already bought Limbo and think I will get this after reading good stuff from folks like yourself.

Only issue now is if I get a 3rd game from the Xbox live "summer of Arcade" offer then I get 400points back. Will have to see if any of the others are worth buying.

Thanks for the reminder that this is out today :)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:54 am

I didn't pick up Limbo as I thought it was a touch too expensive from what I played of the demo, I felt this was better value as it contains a lot of re-playability in the form of secrets, online play, unlockables etc. It has been getting some great reviews, Edge scored it a solid 8/10.

That Summer of Arcade offer is pretty decent though, that will most likely tempt me to pick up Limbo if I do buy Castlevania next week. :D

lostSUNDAY

Post by lostSUNDAY » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:05 pm

Think it was IGN that gave it a 5.5. But on the flip side, they've been wrong before...more than once.
Play for Today My SEGA youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/lostSUND4Y

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:17 pm

I just had a quick go of the demo. I was very impressed with the water at the start of the race - it looks amazingly realistic. Once the race started though it was all about the gameplay. The boat handles really well and feels great as it carves through the water. I think I'll be downloading this later on. You're right C=Style, t'is very Wave Race.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:18 pm

I don't really like Hydro Thunder. It feels too american and a bit like a teenage boy designed the graphics. I tried to like it but I think I was spoiled by Wipeout which is similar in a lot of ways. I felt the same about Quantum Redshift - so nearly made the grade but something about it just missed the spot with me. If I want to play a water-based game I'm all about Wave Race 64 :) I'm not writing it off though so will download the demo and give it a go tonight

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:01 pm

IGN did score this 5.5 but their score stands out like a sore thumb over at metacritic. They've been getting a lot of flak for it and I think they have scored it ridiculously low, at least in my opinion.
Mootown wrote:I don't really like Hydro Thunder. It feels too american and a bit like a teenage boy designed the graphics. I tried to like it but I think I was spoiled by Wipeout which is similar in a lot of ways. I felt the same about Quantum Redshift - so nearly made the grade but something about it just missed the spot with me. If I want to play a water-based game I'm all about Wave Race 64 :) I'm not writing it off though so will download the demo and give it a go tonight
The OTT graphics are all part of it's arcade charm. I am a big fan of Wave Race but this game plays very close to it, I wasn't a huge fan but did enjoy the original Hydro Thunder on DC and N64. This sequel is much better, it stays true to the original game with the boats and stuff but the feel of this game is pretty advanced in comparison, it's very close to Wave Race and very smooth to play. After a few races on the same circuit you will hopefully get a good feel for it, there's some top gameplay here I can assure you.

I honestly think it's the best arcade racer I've played in a very long time.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:06 pm

Didn't know about this, always like Hydro Thunder so will take a look...

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:27 pm

Brill game... bought it earlier, the only off putting thing about it imo is the moving perspective sometimes makes it hard to tell which way to go... more practice needed methinks :oops:

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:52 am

Bought this today and am very pleased I did. If you enjoy simple arcade racers then you will like it.

Over the top in the way that arcade racers like this should be, nice graphics, Good arcade sound and most importantly the gameplay is just fun. I haven't played it online yet but I expect that will be pretty good fun too.

Definitely recommended!

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:53 am

Big fan of it on the DC so will definately get this later !

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:39 am

Just got this myself as well. Brilliant.

Midway Arcade Treasures 3 for xbox just came in the post so I can play the original again. :lol:

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:33 am

Haven't got a 360 so can't get it but I really do like the original on the Dreamcast. Looks good, and has that certain something I can't quite put my finger on...

Graham Humphrey

Post by Graham Humphrey » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Never played the original but I bought this last night and it's really quite terrific. It's very very addictive. Anyone up for a game at some point...?
Lemon Amiga is now on YouTube and Facebook!