NES-Bit - A goodbye and farewell gift, mags available FREE

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Lorfarius

NES-Bit - A goodbye and farewell gift, mags available FREE

Post by Lorfarius » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:24 pm

As some of you may or may not know I’ve been spending a lot of time recently working away on an upcoming website which is focusing entirely on the UK NES. I thought I’d take some time to mention a few things I have in the pipe work and the important thing to beg for a little help! The site does have a name but I can’t share it until the domain registration is done but bare in mind it’s a good one.

Database – Complete list of all NES UK PAL A releases, none of these rubbish ones pieced together from various places but with full confirmed releases. I’m currently about 160 carts into a 280ish collection and I’ve already confirmed one or 2 titles that weren’t known to exist. Pictures of every cart, box, accessory, inserts, merchandise etc I have built up quite a large lot of images and information so far but there’s lots more to add.

Podcast – Lots of ideas for these including a complete history of Nintendo voiced by a madman (me).

Forum – Focused on collecting, reviews and article discussions etc Hoping to use it to build a good collecting community for people wanting to do trading especially for a lot of rarer NES carts.

Interviews – Got a few ideas and people to contact can’t reveal them at the moment because it would spoil the surprise! But the likes of editors, programmers, and developer interviews would be something I would be striving for.

Articles – Got lots in mind starting with a personal collecting history, Super Mario movie review, Nintendo tour bus from the 90’s, look at interesting accessories (ROB, Miracle Piano, UForce) etc

Magazine Scans – Full set (eventually, I’m missing about 4 issues all told) of Club Nintendo Magazine

Video’s – I’m coming from YouTube with the site idea and become a bit of a knack at recording mad ramblings over game play. I would like to have short clips of every released PAL game to go into the database and match with each review. At the moment I have done one for every game I’ve reviewed but the plan is to match every game in the database.

It’s taken me many, many hours to work through the database and I only just recently finished a complete catalogue of NES titles and information for a comprehensive database. Even if I have to post a picture of every cart from a full set I aim to have a decent encyclopedia type of site that’s dedicated to the UK NES scene.

Of course it wouldn’t be much of a site without content and I plan to launch when I have a good chunk of articles and reviews. I’m aiming for a starting point of around 50 and I’m managing to write about 2 a day. As you can probably imagine this is a huge undertaking and I could do with some help, people who have a love for the NES and want to help out with the site.

I’ve already had one donated review thanks to my YouTube channel but I’m on the look out for more. If I have to I will write a single review of every released game! If you want to help then please drop me a line

Below is a complete list of what I’ve written so far:

Homebrew:

Legend of Zelda Outlands
PowerPak

Articles:

Personal History
Super Mario Bros The Movie

Reviews:

Aladdin
Barbie
Bart vs The Space Mutants
Bartman Meets Radioactive-Man
Batman: The Video Game
Blades of Steel
Donkey Kong Classics
Ducktales
Ice Climber
Ikari Warriors
Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu
Kid Icarus
Legend of Zelda 1
Low G Man
Mega Man
New Zealand Story
Popeye
Rainbow Islands: The story or Bubble Bobble 2
Robocop 2
Shadow Warriors
Snakes Revenge
Spider-Man Return of the Sinister Six
Super Turrican
Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles
Wizards & Warriors 3

Donations:

Kirby's Adventure
Last edited by Lorfarius on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:26 am, edited 9 times in total.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

StickHead

Re: NES Site, help required!

Post by StickHead » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:39 pm

Hey Lorf! Sounds really exciting! I would be happy to write some reviews for your site. Have a look at my blog for a sample of my writing, but bare in mind I would be happy to change the style (maybe you want it more formal? I don't know).

I'm no NES expert by any means, but I've been playing games and talking about them to anybody who'll listen all my life. If you want a hand with the reviews, let me know.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:47 pm

Lorfarius wrote: Videos – I’m coming from YouTube with the site idea and become a bit of a knack at recording mad ramblings over game play. I would like to have short clips of every released PAL game to go into the database and match with each review. At the moment I have done one for every game I’ve reviewed but the plan is to match every game in the database.
If you're actually buying a domain, and not using a blog or something, don't bother with YT. Self-host using an FTP and MP4s; better quality, and easier to edit in the actual source. Unless, of course, you're running on low bandwidth?

WildWillyWilson

Post by WildWillyWilson » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:01 pm

Good luck Keith, your putting a lot of graft into this. Sure it'll be a great resource for collectors. :D

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:18 pm

Lorfarius wrote: I’m currently about 160 carts into a 280ish collection and I’ve already confirmed one or 2 titles that weren’t known to exist.
Do tell!!!

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:53 am

StickHead wrote:Hey Lorf! Sounds really exciting! I would be happy to write some reviews for your site. Have a look at my blog for a sample of my writing, but bare in mind I would be happy to change the style (maybe you want it more formal? I don't know).

I'm no NES expert by any means, but I've been playing games and talking about them to anybody who'll listen all my life. If you want a hand with the reviews, let me know.
You have PM :)

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:54 am

QuantumCrayons wrote:
Lorfarius wrote: Videos – I’m coming from YouTube with the site idea and become a bit of a knack at recording mad ramblings over game play. I would like to have short clips of every released PAL game to go into the database and match with each review. At the moment I have done one for every game I’ve reviewed but the plan is to match every game in the database.
If you're actually buying a domain, and not using a blog or something, don't bother with YT. Self-host using an FTP and MP4s; better quality, and easier to edit in the actual source. Unless, of course, you're running on low bandwidth?
Yeah I won't be using YT. I was reading earlier this year how they effectively own all content posted which would be a right pain if I post 300 or so vids and they decide to just blow the lot. Will be using other means :)

And Guybrush you will have to view the site :P

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:06 am

Sorry to bump this but still looking for more help :)

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:03 pm

I can probably chip in the odd review, although my NES collection isn't huge.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:21 pm

killbot wrote:I can probably chip in the odd review, although my NES collection isn't huge.
Drop me a line if you are interested in putting pen to paper :)

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:43 pm

Still on the lookout for more help chaps :D

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:56 am

Happy to say I finished my 50th review last week add on a few donations and several articles I've written and the site is going to launch soon with a nice wad of content :D Been working like crazy and written close to 38000 words!

I managed to get a helping hand from a chap from here (who wishes to remain anonymous but I couldn't be happier with what he's done and I'm thinking up a clever way to pay him back) who designed me a fantastic site logo which I will show off once the domain registration is sorted. So we are getting there.

Anyway just back for a bit of friendly advice I have 50 odd games which I need to grab gameplay footage for and I'm going to be using an emulator with UK ROMS as it just looks better than my video camera pointed at the TV. But I'm concerned about the opening and closing sections of each vid which is going to be about 3 minutes long I need to show off the logo with a link back to the site as I'll be hosting them on Youtube but do you guys think a fade to black then black background with the logo at the start of each vid and the same right at the end (sort of credits) is good enough? Or is that too annoying and prefer something at the end on its own?

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:42 am

Looking forward to seeing this site, sounds great! I'm going for a collection of complete games (where possible) so if you need photos of boxes and manuals as well I may be able to help at a later date. Currently up to 105 ish complete PAL UK games including a couple of recently released NTSC games.

I think it's probably a good idea to have the logo on your Youtube vids at the beginning as well - that way everyone will see the logo :)

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:06 pm

Thanks Rinoa :) Photos of boxes will def come in handy as my collection is mostly carts.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:37 am

This sounds like a lot of fun - when you say "Complete with inserts" for the database, would that include the uber-rare, highly sought after Blemmya figure that came with Monster In My Pocket?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.