Street fighter X Tekken not dead yet,

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Misery

Re: Street fighter X Tekken and DLC bitching

Post by Misery » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:02 pm

And AGAIN, Duck, you've totally missed the damn point. The reason WHY people are so angry about this seems to have zoomed over your head.

Maybe I'm not the best one to explain it, perhaps I'm taking an EXTREMELY OBVIOUS thing and just making it confusing.

1. Yes, if it's on the bloody disc FROM THE START, people are entitled to it. Why? Because they bought, and paid for..... wait for it, this is hard, I know..... they paid for THE BLOODY DISC. Dont..... even try to reason this one a different way. Kinda doesnt work. The analogy I used DOES work because that's EXACTLY what happened.

2. Yes, I get angry at shmups. But do I *ever* get angry at the devs/publishers for it? No. I'm an irritable player. The anger I get is the usual "ragequit" sort of thing. I'll still play and enjoy the games, but I have to step away from them every now and then. Wheras THIS.... I'm not even buying, or touching, this game..... ever. Capcom went too far. For about the squillionth time.

3. And yes. People paid for a big pile of characters. Thing is.... some of those characters, kinda locked. Kinda cant be opened by actual GAMEPLAY, like.... oh I dont know, EVERY OTHER GODDAMN GAME THAT LOCKS THINGS. Usually, you unlock them..... through gameplay. You do NOT ***HIDE*** them on there, hope nobody bloody notices, and then try to SELL it to them later. You. Do. Not. DO IT. It's BAD practice to do this.

4. If this REALLY werent a shady thing they're doing..... they wouldnt be running around desperately trying to shut people up by doing things like, oh, I dont know.... getting Youtube to BAN YOU if you so much as make a video discussing the problem. Which is what they've been doing.

5. ......just go watch the damn video from Joe if this STILL isnt getting through. I'm not very good at explaining things. And I'm very irritable, which tends to just make my explanations WORSE as I near my snapping point (and I'm VERY close right now).

Oh, and 6: "Maximizing profits" is NOT a good reason to do shady crap. Why do you think everyone hates Activision? EA? Yet if you look around.... you can find companies that are huge like that who DONT pull that kind of censored. I mean, good grief, look at freaking VALVE. Those guys ACTUALLY FREAKING CARE about things beyond JUST profits. Yet even with that view..... they get ALOT OF PROFITS. Because they're a good company that is simply GOOD at what they do. Capcom could do the same. Make money by simply making REALLY GOOD GAMES. But no. They go and pull this kind of crap alongside that, thinking it's the RIGHT THING TO DO. Oh, surprise. IT ISNT.

7. You can argue the point all you want. But fact is.... people are *very* pissed. Capcom did something bad. That's kinda..... not..... really something that can be argued against.

8. And this is the last from me on this subject. My rage level is getting way too high. I dont like arguements and I dont deal with them very well. I'm going to FORCE myself to not look at this topic again (and thus forget I took part in it) by merely stepping away from the forums for a few days, which generally works. So..... seriously...... just go watch the damn video instead of reading stuff I say. Joe did a FANTASTIC job of explaining things, and he sums up the problem BLOODY PERFECTLY.

And with that, I'm gone for a few days, lest I break something.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:24 pm

SomeScrub wrote:Breaking news, they are all on the disc and will cost money. Fan censored tastic, welcome to 2012.
in that case censored gaming in 2012
gaming in 2002 sounds good about now
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:24 pm

Misery wrote:1. Yes, if it's on the bloody disc FROM THE START, people are entitled to it. Why? Because they bought, and paid for..... wait for it, this is hard, I know..... they paid for THE BLOODY DISC. Dont..... even try to reason this one a different way. Kinda doesnt work. The analogy I used DOES work because that's EXACTLY what happened.
So if it wasn't on the disc, it'd be fine?
Misery wrote:3. And yes. People paid for a big pile of characters. Thing is.... some of those characters, kinda locked. Kinda cant be opened by actual GAMEPLAY, like.... oh I dont know, EVERY OTHER GODDAMN GAME THAT LOCKS THINGS. Usually, you unlock them..... through gameplay. You do NOT ***HIDE*** them on there, hope nobody bloody notices, and then try to SELL it to them later. You. Do. Not. DO IT. It's BAD practice to do this.
So if it wasn't on the disc, it'd be fine?
Misery wrote:4. If this REALLY werent a shady thing they're doing..... they wouldnt be running around desperately trying to shut people up by doing things like, oh, I dont know.... getting Youtube to BAN YOU if you so much as make a video discussing the problem. Which is what they've been doing.
They haven't been trying to ban videos where you discuss the "problem", they've been hitting those who are showing the characters working in gameplay. Because they've been hacking the game to access content they haven't paid for, and are therefore infringing copyright.
Misery wrote:5. ......just go watch the damn video from Joe if this STILL isnt getting through. I'm not very good at explaining things. And I'm very irritable, which tends to just make my explanations WORSE as I near my snapping point (and I'm VERY close right now).
I've watched it. He sounds like a ranting idiot.
Misery wrote:Oh, and 6: "Maximizing profits" is NOT a good reason to do shady crap. Why do you think everyone hates Activision? EA? Yet if you look around.... you can find companies that are huge like that who DONT pull that kind of censored. I mean, good grief, look at freaking VALVE. Those guys ACTUALLY FREAKING CARE about things beyond JUST profits. Yet even with that view..... they get ALOT OF PROFITS. Because they're a good company that is simply GOOD at what they do. Capcom could do the same. Make money by simply making REALLY GOOD GAMES. But no. They go and pull this kind of crap alongside that, thinking it's the RIGHT THING TO DO. Oh, surprise. IT ISNT.
Valve? You mean the guys who set up a download service so they could take a very hefty cut on the revenue of other companies' games? You mean the guys who bought other people's ideas for Portal 2 because they couldn't think of their own?

It's got censored all to do with whether it's the right thing to do, it's all about the profits. EVERY. SINGLE. BUSINESS. DOES. THIS. But let's demonstrate this with more than just games:

Most mornings I get woken up by my alarm clock. That alarm clock wasn't made because they wanted people to get to work on time, it was made to make money. I get up off my bed that was built to make money, go through and turn on the taps to get water that's provided to make money, wash my face with soap that was made to make money, clean my teeth using a toothbrush that was created to make money using toothpaste that was created to make money. I put on clothes that were made to make money, take keys that were cut by someone who wanted to make money, lock the door so that my stuff doesn't get stolen by someone who wants to make money, get in my car that was built to make money, drive on roads that were built to make money, park my car in a car park provided to make money, get on a train provided to make money, get some food baked to make money, go to University built to make money, listen to lecturers that are there to make money, use some computers built to make money, use some software created to make money, do most of that in reverse, possibly making a few phone calls, in which the service is provided to make money, as is the phone.

If you haven't gotten the idea yet, it's called Capitalism. You've spent your entire life in it. This should not be new to you.
Misery wrote:7. You can argue the point all you want. But fact is.... people are *very* pissed. Capcom did something bad. That's kinda..... not..... really something that can be argued against.

Code: Select all

Content on disc                     Content not on disc

DISC: 40 characters         £40     DISC: 40 characters                   £40
NOW      DISC: 12 locked characters  ---

JUNE     DOWNLOAD: unlock characters £10     DOWNLOAD: unlock characters           £10
                                             FORCED DOWNLOAD: 12 locked characters ---
Still trying to work out what bad thing they supposedly did...
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:14 am

I'm struggling to get through the 40 characters as it is! I'm loving my Law/Hugo team at the moment. Think its funny seeing lots of Ryu/Ken teams online (seriously guys its been 20years there are more characters to play!)

I will probably grab the dlc regardless of whether or not it is on the disc. This kinda practice will not stop and is being embraced by tons of other developers not just CAPCOM.

I'm just hoping the dlc will be a bundle not around 400msp per character like Blazblue/MK/Soul Calibur
(I should be careful CAPCOM could be watching for ideas :lol: )

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:00 am

Lol @ Misery, calm down dude it's just a game.

I think the only people still mad at the situation are those that haven't bought the game, and probably never will. Everyone else bought the game as is too busy enjoying it to care.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:36 am

capcom can do what they want
people can decide to buy or not

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:38 am

Black Ridge wrote:I'm struggling to get through the 40 characters as it is! I'm loving my Law/Hugo team at the moment. Think its funny seeing lots of Ryu/Ken teams online (seriously guys its been 20years there are more characters to play!)
BUT NBDY ELSE HAZ HADOKUNS

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:21 am

TheNewMonkey wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:
SomeScrub wrote:Its a 360 thing, and it seems much better now. They said trying to fix the sound issue increased latency of matches. The sound is only a quarter as bad and the latency was really excellent for me all last night.

Finally hit C!
Same here. I gave online a try this morning and unfortunately the sound problem was prevalent throughout almost all the matches, however to the games credit the games did not appear to lag at all. Is was able to pull off my moves and combos ok so I'll live with the sound glitch until they patch it and then hopefully everything will be good. I still can't see how a glitch like this wasn't picked up in testing though :?
same, no lag on my end just the sound effects on certain matchs.

also no game screams abusive messages more that a SF game on xbox live :lol: i've only had around 20 fights and already have messages from 5 different people who are sore losers, one guy (who was just spamming a zangief lariet) rage quit as i turned it around and spammed him with about 20 fireballs :lol:
they also go crazy if you message back telling them to stick to COD!
Love it :D
Love that cod comment! Weirdly enough the worst I've had is a couple of people rage quit. I've only had one message and that was a positive one. There's still time though!

Team wise I've been seeing lots of kazuyas at the moment. He frightens me with his moves, it's hard to work out which are blocked high/low when under pressure. Hm and heihachi look pretty interesting so I'll have to try both soon.

I've stuck with law and ogre for now. Ogre is pretty cool, Though I'm still very much trying to learn what works with him. He's got some really nice looking specials. Trying to reach c rank at the mo, almost there but I have a habit of going on losing streaks which just complicates things.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:21 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:capcom can do what they want
people can decide to buy or not
This is totally and utterly the case.

It's up to us as consumers to buy it (implicitly supporting them) or to not buy it. Capcom aren't stupid. They've weighed the so-called pros and cons of their business strategy and they've seen that there's millions to be made doing precisely what they've done multiple times before. They also know that fan-rage is as impotent as its always been, and for every "massive boycott" there's twice as many people who'll actually end up buying it due to generated publicity. Screaming nerd-rage equals more sales!! :shock: :lol: :roll:

Besides, didn't everyone who supposedly boycotted Modern Warfare 3 just buy it the second it came out anyway? Fastest selling game in the world and everything.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Dam

Post by Dam » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Joey wrote:Lol @ Misery, calm down dude it's just a game.

I think the only people still mad at the situation are those that haven't bought the game, and probably never will. Everyone else bought the game as is too busy enjoying it to care.
I've gone past the mad stage now, and I'm in the 'I really don't care anymore' stage. I do still think its absolute travesty that capcom treats its fans this way, but after sinking hundreds of hours in SSFIV, I'm now really looking forward to playing some other types of games, of which I have a massive backlog, mainly due to SSFIV!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:38 pm

^Try King of fighters the newer one.

HOLY CRAP MODES!!
SINGLE PLAYER MODES!!
(Two DLC charters meh)
But yeah
MODES!!
And its cheap

Mighty_Zol

Post by Mighty_Zol » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:08 am

I got this on Friday, and have been playing it solidly offline all weekend (got the sore thumb to prove it). It was my first foray into Street Fighter for 10+ years (been playing Tekken/SC since then) and I'm really enjoying the change. I love the way the Tekken characters have been interpreted into the SF style. Played through the arcade mode with about half the teams, and had a good number of local vs matches against similar SF noobs. I've been favouring the Tekken characters - just like in the early Tekkens, I'm finding Kazuya's unpredictable mixture of low/high attacks to be a winner in vs matches. Of the Capcom side, I'm having most luck with a mad gear team of Rolento and the fan-service-tastic Poison.

Time really hasnt done anything to improve my limited SF skills, and I'm really struggling with some of the basic motions like the sonic boom and flash kick - surely they werent this hard to do in SF2? But then, using the assist gems (which are a serious PITA to set up for each character) feels a bit like cheating.

I got my PS3 online on sunday night, and was disappointed at the lack of matches - I waited a couple of minutes for my first match to show up. When I finally got a match I got panned, after that I couldnt find a game - is it really that hard to get a match?

I also had a peek at the online store to see what was there - with all the talk about DLC I was a bit surprised to find absolutely nothing - again, is it just me that has this problem?

Finally, I'm wondering is there anything worthwhile (ie not the cheesy custom titles and trophies) that you can unlock by just playing through the game / doing the challenges? I don't seem to have found anything so far.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:57 am

I'm still loving it although the online mode is very much like UMvC3 in the sense that most people choose the same characters. you can near on guarantee most games you get into will have one of the following characters: Ryu/Ken/Akuma/Kazuya. The few Rolentos that i have fought have been solid and i struggle against big time. The hadoken spammers are unfortunately beating me a lot too. I used to focus absorb them in SFIV.

I dont know if anyone else had had this problem but Im struggling with my Jump Arcs in this game. I keep doing a vertical jump when i want to jump in.. Maybe its just my controller or im just guff :?

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:16 pm

Street Fighter X Tekken: Ultimate Edition in 6 months. Betcha' anything.

Obviously all the DLC will be on the disc too. But this time it'll be a bit better hidden.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:53 pm

Mighty_Zol wrote:
I got my PS3 online on sunday night, and was disappointed at the lack of matches - I waited a couple of minutes for my first match to show up. When I finally got a match I got panned, after that I couldnt find a game - is it really that hard to get a match?

I also had a peek at the online store to see what was there - with all the talk about DLC I was a bit surprised to find absolutely nothing - again, is it just me that has this problem?

Finally, I'm wondering is there anything worthwhile (ie not the cheesy custom titles and trophies) that you can unlock by just playing through the game / doing the challenges? I don't seem to have found anything so far.
I've not had any problems getting matches on the 360 version, only takes me a couple of seconds to get a match usually.

I noticed the same thing with the store, with all the freak outs over rumours of day one dlc a while back I found it rather entertaining to see nodlc available for this game at all yet. It'll no doubt change with colours and costumes coming soon.

As for unlockables. Nothing I'm afraid, just trophies and titles

Freestyler wrote:Street Fighter X Tekken: Ultimate Edition in 6 months. Betcha' anything.

Obviously all the DLC will be on the disc too. But this time it'll be a bit better hidden.
Except of course the current batch of dlc would only just have been released at that point. The only new disc release we willgetthis year might be a version with all the characters, costumes etc. unlocked but as everything is already on the disc that release seems completely redundant.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*