Ridge Racer - Arse or Class?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

joefish

Re: Ridge Racer - Arse or Class?

Post by joefish » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:41 am

I played Ridge Racer in the the arcades and really liked the handling - that translated well to the PS1. Ridge Racer Revolution changed the drifting but was just as controllable. Still, both games lacked a bit in variety of tracks.

Rage Racer had much more impressive (though a bit grey) graphics and loads more variety, and the progression model was highly addictive. I thought the drift model was too harsh though. There's clearly a problem if you can take a right-hand hairpin, drift most of the way round it, and still end up facing to the left. It's only lately I've got to play these with the twisty negCon, and it makes a big difference to the subtlety of control in all these game.

I'll admit I preferred the handling in SEGA Rally, but then you were racing on a looser surface all the time in that game. And the only appeal of Daytona was the arcade multi-player. The tracks were weak and the scripted crashes something of a joke. Gran Turismo had the best drift and handling model of all, and it was amazing how you could feel the tiny changes you'd made to the car set-up in the handling. But like Ridge Racer: Type 4, it all took far too long to just play as a game.

GTi Club still rules in the fun stakes though.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:48 pm

pretty much arse except for rage racer and ridge racer 4
all the others should just be poured in to asphalt
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:06 pm

I liked R: Racing, which was Namco's attempt to combine Ridge Racer and Gran Turismo. The original Ridge Racer on the PSone was fun, but vastly too limited with its single track. Daytona was clearly the better title. I never liked Ridge Racer Revolution as much, and never played Rage Racer, but R4 had it's moments.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:37 am

bit of thread necromancy but i cant help reading this title as arse or clarse

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:23 am

snowkatt wrote:bit of thread necromancy but i cant help reading this title as arse or clarse
Well, if you have any 'class', that's how you do pronounce it! :lol:

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:34 am

a touch of clarse

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:44 pm

That is how I say it!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:56 pm

I recently picked up Ridge Racer 4 from a charity shop and Rage Racer from gamestation and im liking both. Ridge Racer 4 more so. I dont play driving games realy so i ahvent got much to compare them with but im enjoying them none the less.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:04 pm

Class, all the way. I love Ridge Racer, the fourth game is still my favourite game of all time.
Now, of course, it's not a perfect series. There have been missteps along the way, but it continues to be a totally unique experience.
The thing with Ridge Racer, and I think the reason why it evokes such a love hate reaction among gamers, is this:

Ridge Racer has Nothing to do with cars.

Really. It isn't car racing and can't be compared to other racing games. It is simply the flow of your avatar around a space, using the physics particular to the game. The fact that they LOOK like cars is just a convenience - a way to give you something to anchor your experience to. In fact, later games don't even use the word 'car' at all- they're 'machines'. What Ridge Racer IS is more like a puzzle game, where each track requires a particular application of this impossible drift mechanic in order to beat the clock. Even the other cars are little more than time markers. In this respect it is less like GT and more like Robotron, Q-Bert, Frogger; a walled garden of very selective physics and permissible actions tailored to the fulfillment of a goal.

Also, any game that lets you own something called an Assoluto Fatalita is just flat-out awesome. :)

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:30 pm

If the Namco designers who spent hundreds of hours designing some of the coolest cars in gaming heard you say that I think they would run you over!
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:51 pm

He's not far wrong though - even compared to other arcade style racers, it's a completely different entity, though no less awesome for that.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Perhaps there is a point there as the AI cars certainly lack real AI, they are more like drones. It certainly isn't a racer, more of a time trial game with blockers rather than racers but I don't buy into that it is a puzzle game. It is not different to any other racer in respects to learning the corners and how to take them in each car.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:47 pm

Played them extensively back in the day, especially Revolution and Rage. Dug them out recently and it looked like I'd drunk a bottle of vodka before I got behind the wheel. The collision system just feels plain unfair now as you're basically driving down a tunnel with no run off at all. Brush a wall and you'll bounce off losing half your speed. Plus the handling just feels wrong as you break into a powerslide coming out of a corner and start fishtailing down the straight

random_dave

Post by random_dave » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:24 am

I recently tried out Ridge Racer Accelerated HD on an iPad, and it's such a shame that I've basically already played this game before on PSP.

The in car view, on the big iPad screen is unlike anything i've experienced with Ridge before, even playing RR7 @ 1080p on a 40" lcd isn't the same as on iPad you are so much closer to the screen.

But as I say, I've already played the same content, so i can't justify buying it

Oh, and love the way the basslines of the music makes the iPad casing vibrate in your hands
MSN: dlanki [at] Hotmail.com
360: lanki of badger
psn/twitter/playfire: random_dave