Ridge Racer - Arse or Class?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pottyboy

Re: Ridge Racer - Arse or Class?

Post by pottyboy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:48 pm

Absolutely loved Ridge Racer back in the day... and I still do now! The perfect mix of drifting around corners and competitive gameplay made it a winner!

IMO Rage Racer was the best because you won money, for which you could then use to buy new cars or upgrade the ones you've already purchased. You could even design your own decals to show other racers who's boss! :)

Gonna have to give the N64 version a try...

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:44 pm

Ridge Racer = ace. Great graphics , sound , gameplay ; everything about it is perfect

Actually my favourite oiteration is RRR on the PS1
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:53 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Actually my favourite iteration is RRR on the PS1
Mine too :D
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:25 pm

C=Style wrote:
nakamura wrote:I really get the feeling some people hate some products because they are on Sony consoles.
My God man, seriously, get a grip! :lol: I've already said I love other Ridge Racers, I have Ridge Racer 2 (the PSP game) on my PSP and I really enjoy it, I also enjoy R4 on PS1 and RR7 on PS3. You seriously think that everyone has to love PS1 Ridge Racer, and if they don't then it must mean they secretly despise Sony? deary me.. :roll:
Did I say it was actually aimed at you? You comments recently have just reminded me of that fact and it is something I feel that does happen.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

will2097

Post by will2097 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:39 am

I've played the PS1 Ridge Racer and the arcade version a lot (and I mean a lot) and I can understand the drifting being irritating, as it's pretty unforgiving, but it is consistant. The biggest (and never repeated) change in Ridge Racer was Rage Racer which won't let you drift without using the brake. All the others you just accelerate mid corner after releasing the accelerator briefly, Rage insists you brake before the bend and accelerate while in the bend and it's utterly without mercy.

I think in all post Ridge Racer PSP games, the drifting has been pretty wooly and not nearly as rewarding as the earlier games.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:42 am

nakamura wrote:
C=Style wrote:
nakamura wrote:I really get the feeling some people hate some products because they are on Sony consoles.
My God man, seriously, get a grip! :lol: I've already said I love other Ridge Racers, I have Ridge Racer 2 (the PSP game) on my PSP and I really enjoy it, I also enjoy R4 on PS1 and RR7 on PS3. You seriously think that everyone has to love PS1 Ridge Racer, and if they don't then it must mean they secretly despise Sony? deary me.. :roll:
Did I say it was actually aimed at you? You comments recently have just reminded me of that fact and it is something I feel that does happen.

Yes it does.

random_dave

Post by random_dave » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:47 am

Played some ridge racers 2 (psp) through remotejoy last night so i could have it on a 19" monitor and use a dualshock2.
It played beautifully, the psp could have been so much better with a decent analogue stick.

It's made me a little interested in the 3ds one, decent level of graphics, 3d to make your head spin at high speeds, and hopefully nintendo will put a half decent anaolgue joystick on it.

After reading all this I'll have to keep plugging away on RR1 and RRR instead of sticking with 5 and above and i'll definately have to give n64 a try, my memory seems to tell me that it wasn't much cop, or perhaps I just blocked it out as wave race was all i needed for arcade race fun on there
MSN: dlanki [at] Hotmail.com
360: lanki of badger
psn/twitter/playfire: random_dave

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:57 am

The N64 Ridge Racer was a pretty good game overall.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:00 pm

Dunno about Ridge Racer....but Rage Racer was the nuts :lol: :lol:

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:45 am

nakamura wrote:The N64 Ridge Racer was a pretty good game overall.
Yeah,I love RR64 - classic feel without having the longevity problems of the earlier games. Ther's LOADS to get through and lots of hidden cars to get, but my fave is still the Devil car.

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:08 pm

Ridge Racer Type4 was just an awesome game. One of my greatest bargains was picking up the RR4 jogcon bundle in HMV for £4.95. Still one of my fave ps1 games.

i do recall not realising Rage Racer was part of the series (despite it being by Namco and having "racer" in the title - it was about the same time i realised i wasn't cut out for detective work). A friend brought it round one day and i couldn't believe how good it was. Apart from that, the psp titles are great, but the next gen versions seem to have lost a little of that magic for me.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:05 pm

the original ridge racer/revolution/4 and rage racer were all very enjoyable (even though the rival cars can literally fly around corners in revolution especially). rr64 was also great.

never played 5 and completely lost interest when i played that r-racing (?) game that came with pacman on the game cube. it was totally boring. also when i heard that theres a turbo boost in newer versions it really put me off trying them, a licence for cheating computer syndrome if ever i heard one.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:58 pm

I'd like to add Ridge Racer 64 to my list of "Best Ridge Racer Games"

I got it yesterday, and I'm really, REALLY impressed with it! :D

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:17 am

HEAVYface wrote:the original ridge racer/revolution/4 and rage racer were all very enjoyable (even though the rival cars can literally fly around corners in revolution especially). rr64 was also great.

never played 5 and completely lost interest when i played that r-racing (?) game that came with pacman on the game cube. it was totally boring. also when i heard that theres a turbo boost in newer versions it really put me off trying them, a licence for cheating computer syndrome if ever i heard one.
I quite like like R:Racing although it's a world away from the proper Ridge games (I don't really think it's condsidered part of the Ridge series), I have the XBOX version and it looks gorgeous running at 480p especially Monaco... with a souped up Beemer M3 tear arsing around it :D (I always try to judge racing games with Monaco, just the little touches like the camber of the road as you approach the right hander before the hairpin, the bump in the road on 50secs into this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C77LF4aaCDs , if they can't get that part right, I know that no effort has been put into the game... sort of thing)

The Nitro boost is a little off putting to start with, especially with the commentator on #6...."Someone just let off some crazzzzy nitrous".... :x but it's still a great game and like I said earlier in the thread it's just like having a perfect arcade racer in the home without the cab, some great track designs... it's bloomin fast... it looks great and plays great too

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:34 am

Do ya know, I've not played that before but it looks really nice going on that video.