Ridge Racer - Arse or Class?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Re: Ridge Racer - Arse or Class?

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:17 am

Daytona USA's tracks would be brilliant in a Ridge Racer game. Unfortunately Daytona itself steers like a fridge full of lead on skis.

Kai

Post by Kai » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:22 am

The original Ridge Racer totally blew me away back then! I simply couldn't believe such arcade-like graphics were possible on a home console. I had weeks and months of fun with the game though there was only one track to race on. Brilliance!

Ridge Racer Revolution was a little underwhelming for me (more cars and more tracks, that was all) but still good fun.

Rage Racer was a great game but didn't hook me that much but Ridge Racer Type 4 did! The new visuals were great and the gameplay more fun than before. :mrgreen:

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:51 am

Ridge Racer 4 is probably my favorite game for the PS1 (tied with Wipeout XL). I played it for hours and hours and loved it to bits. The handling in Ridge Racer is completely unique. I stick to drift cars and I love it, drifting around a corner takes a certain amount of skill and it's awesome when you get it right. Ridge Racer 4 got that perfect. Every Ridge Racer since 4 has got it wrong.

I played the abomination that was RR6 for the 360 and it's just...broken. The cars feel like they're on coasters or something. And boost really adds nothing to the series. Seems to have gone down well with reviewers though, I can't understand why.

[edit] Also, the RR4 I had came with RR1 with the original RR1 and RR4 graphics engines. The difference is stunning. You wouldn't even think it was the same hardware.

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:08 am

PS1 Perfection....

I bought it again earlier in the year, fantastic soundtrack as well.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:11 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Anyone who says the drifting in the early Ridge Racers is unpredictable can't play the game properly.

Its incredibly easy to start and end a drift in RR1, it explains it in the manual. Its so precise I don't even think about it any more.

Exactly. The drifting is sheer gaming perfection. I can arc perfectly around any corner on any track in the series. 360 drifting was also available in every single title if you know how to play it properly. For an arcade racing series it has managed to keep going with the same basic gameplay elements for 17 years! That is incredible.

Ridge Racer V is my fav of the series with Type 4 being my least. I love the solid feel RRV gives you along with its fantastic courses, lovely lighting and great music. The best arcade racer of all time for me.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:17 am

More PS1 perfection.

Got a Jogcon and a Negcon too! :mrgreen:
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:26 pm

Well, suffice to say it won't be staying on my PSP :P regardless of me not being good enough, or RR having supposed "perfect drift mechanics" I just do not rate this game. Never have, never will do, just like some of you hate Daytona. I believe I've been spoilt by Sega racers. That's all I'm gonna say on the matter, comes down to different tastes. :mrgreen:

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:35 pm

So did you play Sega Rally/Daytona on a PSP as a comparison?
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:38 pm

Some people just love underdogs: Daytona, N64, Wii ;)

Ridge Racer was one of the first PSP games I bought and still one I play. Perfect fit for the system.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:52 pm

I really get the feeling some people hate some products because they are on Sony consoles.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:56 pm

I love and own all the series apart from the handheld ones and RR7 on PS3

By far my favourite in the series is RR64, followed by RR5 and although RR6 has a bit of a bad name in some parts I think it's a great addition to the series it's like having a arcade racer in the home (apart from the ultra annoooooyyyying commentator)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:07 pm

SexyWayne wrote: although RR6 has a bit of a bad name in some parts I think it's a great addition to the series it's like having a arcade racer in the home (apart from the ultra annoooooyyyying commentator)
I also really enjoyed Ridge Racer 6. I must have spent 80 hours playing that game so far thanks to the huge career mode and the fun online modes. The commentator was a pain in the ass though, I changed it to Heihachi (of Tekken fame) at one point and it scared the hell outta me when he started yelling at me in Japanese at the start of the next race :lol:
I never did manage to get the achievement for clearing every course without hitting other cars or barriers.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:19 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Anyone who says the drifting in the early Ridge Racers is unpredictable can't play the game properly.

Its incredibly easy to start and end a drift in RR1, it explains it in the manual. Its so precise I don't even think about it any more.
Im with you on that. Very easy imo, especially on the arcade version (original). I was the dogs at it back in the day but there was always one guy who got the better of me. Until the day before the machine was removed from my local.

I drove a flawless three laps in time trial and wiped the floor with his ridiculously long standing course record by a large margin. Ah, the joy on my face as I watched him frantically pump money into it over the next day and a half or so and fail miserably at beating me :D . It was literally one mistake and you couldnt get close no matter how well you did afterwards.

I watched that machine leave the pub the next day with my name still at the top of the list. Those were the days.

Eat your nans pants

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:27 pm

I usually hate driving games in general but Ridge Racer and Rage Racer got a lot of time and effort out of me.
Splink!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:37 pm

nakamura wrote:I really get the feeling some people hate some products because they are on Sony consoles.
My God man, seriously, get a grip! :lol: I've already said I love other Ridge Racers, I have Ridge Racer 2 (the PSP game) on my PSP and I really enjoy it, I also enjoy R4 on PS1 and RR7 on PS3. You seriously think that everyone has to love PS1 Ridge Racer, and if they don't then it must mean they secretly despise Sony? deary me.. :roll:
SexyWayne wrote: By far my favourite in the series is RR64
Definetly is one of my favoruites also. 8)