Ridge Racer - Arse or Class?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

random_dave

Ridge Racer - Arse or Class?

Post by random_dave » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:43 pm

Now, I own a couple of RR's, have dabbled with a few more, but never really got into them (I was a little late to the PSX as I stuck by my trusty SNES)

So the other night, I decided to finally look at the demo of Ridge Racer 7 to see how much of a sacrifice they made to get an early ps3 game at 1080p/60fps, and I was kinda struggling a bit with the handling. I put this down to playing too much Outrun online arcade, GTi Club+ and to a degree F1 2009 over the last year or so.

So I dusted off RR5 (V? :) ) and gave that an hour or so, and seemed to get back into the swing of things, especially with grip class cars anyway.
Fired up RR7 Demo, won comfortably on 2nd attempt, started enjoying it again.

Had a blast on Ridge Racers 2 on PSP, and straight away felt like i was in tune (pun intended) with the cars handling, and even with drift class and the nub I was smoothly clipping apexes and getting (for me) some great lap times.

This then led me to decide that I'll give my copy of Revolution, but before that, original Ridge Racer a proper, fair, trial, as I never have before. Previously I had always felt the handling was chronically censored poor.
Well, to start with, felt no differently. However I soldiered on, was able to win on easy with at least 3 of the starting cars, and making decent progress with medium difficulty.
An hour later and I was certainly enjoying myself, restricting me to one circuit is fine with me, as it just allows me to focus on getting wholly familiar with one track, and every little bump and bend, shaving off tenths of a second every few laps, there's nothing purer in a driving game.

Thing is, despite enjoying it, I really believe that the handling is still a bag of dogs mess. Does anyone else feel the same way, or am i missing some nuance from the early titles rawness. Are the newer games, where I feel like the cars are less twitchy, and a little less random, just ironing over the control for me and doing the hard work for me?

I hope i've not rambled so much that noone wants to input, but hopefully someone will so that when I come back from playing Revolution with my NegCon in a while I'll have something to feedback to me so that i can add that to my feelings for consideration.

P.S. what is the jogcon like to play with, I've always been tempted to get one, but mainly as a novelty really, does it actually offer a nice way to play the games?
MSN: dlanki [at] Hotmail.com
360: lanki of badger
psn/twitter/playfire: random_dave

speedlolita

Re: Ridge Racer - Arse or Class?

Post by speedlolita » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:51 pm

Never saw the appeal of Ridge Racer myself, not with games like Sega Rally Championship and Gran Turismo available.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:52 pm

random_dave wrote:playing Revolution with my NegCon
Perfection.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:53 pm

speedlolita wrote:Never saw the appeal of Ridge Racer myself, not with games like Sega Rally Championship and Gran Turismo available.
Totally different kettle of fish and more fun than GT.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Mostly class with that nice bit of censored and arse!
REIKO OR NO!

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:56 pm

Reiko is pretty special. :mrgreen:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:57 pm

I have to say I love Ridge Racer too.

The first one has a special place in my heart I think it captures the excitement of the launch of the PS1 pretty well, and the era and Japanese arcade gaming.

Favourite? Rage Racer, I think is the best. The PSP incarnations are pretty good, 7 was okay, as was 5 and 4 and Ridge Racer and Revolution are awesome.

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:07 pm

Not for me at all...but my vote dont count for sh*t as I hate most racing games that havent been touched in some way by Yu Suzuki....not because I'm a snob or anything, its just he does it best

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:07 pm

I really liked the 360 and ps3 versions, particularly the 360 one as I liked how it moved away from being all cheesy and disco. I think that's why I also liked Rage so much. Not so keen on any of the others

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:08 pm

I love Ridge Racer 7, and Ridge Racer (PSP). I need to spend more time with the original, though, because the handling for that still somehow eludes me. :?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:23 pm

I don't mind the series as a whole but they don't compare to Sega's finest imho.

I do think Ridge Racer (the original) is incredibly overrated. The scalextric-type handling isn't very good at all, the whole drift mechanic is horrible at least until later games in the series which got it right, 1 boring track to race endlessly around. zzzzzz There's just nothing too it, it's too easy and it has no substance unlike say... Daytona USA :wink: which takes ages to master, 3 very different tracks (not counting mirrors) which takes a lot of strategy and varied driving to get good lap times (shortcuts), RR can't possibly compare for me, it's on another level entirely.

I do like the latest instalments though, RR2 on PSP and RR7 on PS3, very nice.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:18 am

C=Style wrote:I don't mind the series as a whole but they don't compare to Sega's finest imho.

I do think Ridge Racer (the original) is incredibly overrated. The scalextric-type handling isn't very good at all, the whole drift mechanic is horrible at least until later games in the series which got it right, 1 boring track to race endlessly around. zzzzzz There's just nothing too it, it's too easy and it has no substance unlike say... Daytona USA :wink: which takes ages to master, 3 very different tracks (not counting mirrors) which takes a lot of strategy and varied driving to get good lap times (shortcuts), RR can't possibly compare for me, it's on another level entirely.

I do like the latest instalments though, RR2 on PSP and RR7 on PS3, very nice.
There are 2 variations and 3 speeds and all can be played in reverse. The drift mechanic in the first is nearly identical to RR7. Have you even played it?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:56 am

The Ridge series is fantastic. Yes, the handling isn't 'real' so its a little strange from a physics view, but its fun and that's what counts. Its not a driving sim, its an arcade game.

I think the JogCon is excellent, I'm really surprised it never took off as a standard for driving games, incorporating as it does both accurate analogue controls and a very effective force feedback mechanism. Given the low price I'd suggest giving it a whirl.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:05 am

Mmmmm
Reiko

She give me the horn

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:16 am

Ridge Racer, arse? No way! The Ridge Racer series was pure class. The first Ridge Racer was one of the first games I played on the PS1, one of the first racers I played on the Xbox 360 and my first PSP game.

I don't get it though, I've tried to play the first one recently on both ePSXe and on the PS3 via emulation, and I can't seem to slide around corners. What am I doing wrong?