Final Fight vs. Streets of Rage

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Final Fight or Streets of Rage

Final Fight
50%
Streets of Rage
50%

Total votes: 42

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:23 pm

What was the new word that you had come up with???

Utini

Post by Utini » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:27 pm

It's the third line from bottom in the screenshot - I guess it objected to me missing the "y" off of holy :D
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:37 pm

hmm... How about neither? I don't like those games. There are better ones in the genre besides.

Utini

Re:

Post by Utini » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:48 pm

Cornelius wrote:hmm... How about neither? I don't like those games. There are better ones in the genre besides.
Oh now that's fighting talk :) We need a head-to-head battle of the side scrollers! Perhaps, if we ask nicely, someone who puts together a (thoroughly enjoyable) Internet Retro Gaming show, can be persauded to do a special feature round up episode? Go-on Opa-Opa, you knwo you want to :D
Hey, Sweden!

Opa-Opa

Re:

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:27 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Renegade kicks both their asses

Oh thats sooo funny, have you ever played the arcade version of Renegade..?
It sucks big time...! The spectrum version was a fantasic game for the size and ability of the host machine but the arcade game is pap.....

Target Renegade on the CBM64 on the other hand, even the mighty SOR2 has trouble in the playabilty terms against this super game..

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:42 pm

Final Fight Final Fight Final Fight Final Fight Fight Fight Fight. However Target Renegade on the spectrum is the daddy of all scrolling beat 'em ups, Fact.

thl

Post by thl » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:44 pm

I saw the graphic for that Renegade. Looks very comical!! :lol:

thl

Post by thl » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:46 pm

Should never forget Double Dragon!! :P

Opa-Opa

Re:

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:50 pm

Utini wrote: Oh now that's fighting talk :) We need a head-to-head battle of the side scrollers! Perhaps, if we ask nicely, someone who puts together a (thoroughly enjoyable) Internet Retro Gaming show, can be persauded to do a special feature round up episode? Go-on Opa-Opa, you knwo you want to :D
Funny you should say that... KID is redoing his SOR2 feature now (because I lost the first one we did :oops: ) not as a head to head but as a feature about sharing.... (it will make sense once you see Episode 4)
I have thought about doing a Side scrolling beat 'em up feature but not sure how to do it yet, what ever I do will be wrong and I'll miss someones favorite game out but Kid and I are open to ideas...?

Utini

Re:

Post by Utini » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:54 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:
Utini wrote: Oh now that's fighting talk :) We need a head-to-head battle of the side scrollers! Perhaps, if we ask nicely, someone who puts together a (thoroughly enjoyable) Internet Retro Gaming show, can be persauded to do a special feature round up episode? Go-on Opa-Opa, you knwo you want to :D
Funny you should say that... KID is redoing his SOR2 feature now (because I lost the first one we did :oops: ) not as a head to head but as a feature about sharing.... (it will make sense once you see Episode 4)
I have thought about doing a Side scrolling beat 'em up feature but not sure how to do it yet, what ever I do will be wrong and I'll miss someones favorite game out but Kid and I are open to ideas...?
We need some kind of poll on the top 10 beaters to test in the round up!
Hey, Sweden!

thl

Post by thl » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:01 pm

Some good ideas that you've come up with. I'm looking forward to seeing it. 8)

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:02 pm

Yeah that could work, like I said if I make a poll someone will complain about some strange game from Umaguma land that I've never heard of being missing from the list....
I'll have a think.. :?

Utini

Re:

Post by Utini » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:25 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:Yeah that could work, like I said if I make a poll someone will complain about some strange game from Umaguma land that I've never heard of being missing from the list....
I'll have a think.. :?
People, it's time to help Opa-opa choose the 10 beaters in his round up. I'd suggest:

SoR2
FF
Cadilacs and Dinosaurs
Captain Commando

Fill the rest in!
Hey, Sweden!

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:28 pm

Golden Axe has to be in there.

P.S., In retrospect I think it's a bit unfair to compare FF with SOR2, considering FF was released in '89 and had all of about 5 moves. SOR2 was released in '93 and had a ton more. As far as SOR1 goes ('91 release), I still think I prefer it for the atmosphere and presentation alone (and it still has a couple more moves).
Last edited by Sureshot on Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thl

Post by thl » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:29 pm

I suggested Double Dragon, Alien vs. Predator, Golden Axe, X-Men, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. :)