Policenauts 3DO patch?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Policenauts 3DO patch?

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:58 pm

I know a translation patch was released for the PS version of this game but is there a patch for the 3DO version available? The game seems quite cheap on ebay so I was interested in getting it if there was an English patch available. Problem is, Policenauts.net doesn't seem to explain what's available or how to use the patch.

Anybody know about this?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

will2097

Re: Policenauts 3DO patch?

Post by will2097 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:28 pm

Yes I know, and the answer is no.

The 3DO version is said to be getting the english language patch last, after god knows what other consoles. Even if they manage it, it will never run on a standard 3DO thanks to the disc encryption, and we will all be much older and greyer trying to find the developers bios for Freedo.

To be fair, it's a pretty dull game having played the PS1 version.

Vanderkaum

Post by Vanderkaum » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:56 pm

will2097 wrote:To be fair, it's a pretty dull game having played the PS1 version.
I have to agree with you, sadly. All expectations and suspense mounting up to the release of the patch aside, the game just couldn't deliver what a Snatcher sequel had promised. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice experience and all, but Snatcher remains on top of the genre IMO.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:01 pm

will2097 wrote:Yes I know, and the answer is no.

The 3DO version is said to be getting the english language patch last, after god knows what other consoles. Even if they manage it, it will never run on a standard 3DO thanks to the disc encryption, and we will all be much older and greyer trying to find the developers bios for Freedo.

To be fair, it's a pretty dull game having played the PS1 version.
So why are they even bothering with a language patch if the encryption will get in the way then? I thought it would be easy on the 3DO given the system's region-free aspect...

Also, I'm sure it was mentioned on here before about pirated 3DO games so surely the encryption isn't a problem? Think it was an older topic where somebody was asking about which CDR's to use for backups.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

cdoty

Post by cdoty » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:06 pm

The encryption is no longer an issue. A few weeks ago I released a toolkit to encrypt (or sign really) a 3DO image:
http://www.rastersoft.net
Visit RasterSoft on facebook or visit the website.