Games that pushed a system to the limit

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CrookedMouth

Re: Games that pushed a system to the limit

Post by CrookedMouth » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:53 am

noobish hat wrote:Everyone should check out Warlocked and Shantae on the GBC. Incredible number of onscreen sprites in Warlocked, and the best animation ever in Shantae.
Wow, Shantae looks 16bit!

Speaking of GBC, I always thought that the Dragon's Lair port was impressive, squeezing almost the whole arcade game onto the GBC. Someone told me it wasn't such a big feat but it work surprisingly well.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:27 am

Shantae is an incredibly polished game, but it doesn't really - to my mind at least - do anything that you really wouldn't expect the GBC to do. There's only a single plane of background, the sprites are all four colour ones (although some larger characters are made up of multiple sprites) and everything's obviously arranged to keep things under the ten sprites per line limit so they don't flicker.

The one thing it really does is make full use of the machine's colour palette, which is actually bigger than the Megadrive and the Amiga 500, although you wouldn't know it given the garish schemes used by most of the games.

Mr.Saturn

Post by Mr.Saturn » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:44 am

I suppose Alpha 2 on the SNES has been mentioned? It's easy to see it's doing things the SNES can't, considering it's a SNES game that has loading-pauses. Still manages to be a decent-port too, surprisingly.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:49 am

Isn't Zero 2 more a case of compression rather than pushing the machine over it's limit? The loading times are due to the data being loaded into the ram before the start of each round.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Green Bert

Post by Green Bert » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:22 am

Exile on the BBC micro - a fully formed, real world arcade adventure with masses to explore on the humble 32k BBC Model B.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sRFxCf5pIE

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:38 am

Exile and Sim City are excellent examples of using 24K of available RAM. Very impressive.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:47 pm

Matt_B wrote:Shantae is an incredibly polished game, but it doesn't really - to my mind at least - do anything that you really wouldn't expect the GBC to do. There's only a single plane of background, the sprites are all four colour ones (although some larger characters are made up of multiple sprites) and everything's obviously arranged to keep things under the ten sprites per line limit so they don't flicker.

The one thing it really does is make full use of the machine's colour palette, which is actually bigger than the Megadrive and the Amiga 500, although you wouldn't know it given the garish schemes used by most of the games.
Isn't it really expensive to buy too?

Probably mentioned, but the GBC version of Alone in the Dark is amazing looking. Pity the gameplay is ropey. I ran out of ammo halfway through and couldn't continue :roll: Brought it back to the shop for something else.

I may have said this before, but I think Halo 2 looks incredible to this day. I will never forget slowly driving my heavily armed Scorpian tank over the bridge toward the city halfway through the game and thinking that this was how future games would all look.... funny that a game could look that good on a humble Xbox.

sebadude

Post by sebadude » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:48 pm

Hello! I've been watching some YouTube videos this evening and I stumbled upon this video, which I thought was worthy of addition to (and subsequent revival of!) this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJfCitvSsZQ

There are a couple of great examples in there, but I'm surprised that they didn't feature, for example, some standout games such as Toy Story, Dynamite Headdy, Batman & Robin (I think?) and the Jurassic Park game on the Megadrive. Still fun to watch though :)

Reminds me I guess, does anyone else have any suggestions? :)

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:09 am

I've been re-playing Bulletstorm on PS3, I would still describe that game as jaw dropping even now.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:35 pm

Great game, such a shame it never got a sequel

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:40 am

Matt_B wrote:Shantae is an incredibly polished game, but it doesn't really - to my mind at least - do anything that you really wouldn't expect the GBC to do. There's only a single plane of background, the sprites are all four colour ones (although some larger characters are made up of multiple sprites) and everything's obviously arranged to keep things under the ten sprites per line limit so they don't flicker.

So what you're saying is that it was put together in such a way as to use the system as well as it could, understanding the machines technology and being programmed in such a way as to make it run smoothly and give a great play experience that looks great too and compares well with higher spec machines? How is that not pushing the machine to it's limit?

And it is quite expensive on GBC, but there's versions on IOS and the Nintendo eshop.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:44 am

Perhaps people have different perspectives of games pushing a machine to its limit?

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:54 am

If we're being literal about it then Mercenaries on PS2 and EDF 2017 on Xbox 360. They certainly push their consoles to the limits of their framerate at regular times.

sebadude

Post by sebadude » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:42 pm

I guess the definition of pushing to the limit is down to personal opinion, but it could generally be referred to as 'doing as much with a system as it is conventionally possible to do', or, 'through clever programming or trickery of some kind, presenting graphics/sound/technical displays that appear to be beyond the usual capabilities of the system'.

Creatures 2 on the C64 was a great example of the latter. Listen to this brilliantly catchy tune for example! In its graphics, sound and gameplay concept this game was head and shoulders above most of its peers at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7C3LXkDS24 :)

sebadude

Post by sebadude » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:11 am

I've started watching Game Sack's channel on Youtube (it's an entertaining watch, worth checking out!) and they cover this subject in no less than three interesting videos, picking up a few games we have (and haven't mentioned!).

Here are the links:
Games that Pushed Hardware Limits
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4oxszRCXgw
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCpoiwhiNno
Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP5MImvc_2c

They've loads of other interesting videos as well - including one tackling the opposite, games that make a system look weak! :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPa9uQBhGEk