Games that pushed a system to the limit

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Roo

Re: Games that pushed a system to the limit

Post by Roo » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:42 pm

I thought I saw smoke coming from my N64 the first time I plugged in Conker's Bad Fur Day...

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:26 pm

Fred83 wrote:soz meant alpha!.
I know that Batman & robin and Micky Mania had load times too.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:39 pm

wasn't vampire saviour on the sega saturn an arcade perfect port?.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:23 pm

Most Treasure games push the systems very hard. Astro Boy Omega Factor on GBA is a good example, fair amount of slow down and a class game too. Radiant Silvergun.. 'nuff said.

Bangai-O on N64 and DC and Spirits on DS has copious amounts of slowdown when you rack up full counters with lots of enemies on the screen, it's a thing of pure beauty to see the hardware chugging like that. Alien Soldier and Dynamite Headdy on MD pushed a lot out of the system also.

Metal Slug (any) Neo Geo, MS2 had massive slowdown, I guess there must have been a programming breakthrough after that game was made as the rest of the series didn't suffer the same fate despite even more on-screen action.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:09 am

Doom on the Specturm absolutely staggered me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v7cFGneuaw

Debris on the Vectrex manages the look of bitmaps :shock:

http://www.vectrex.nl/debrisreview.html

Battlesphere on the Jaguar (32 player net play :shock: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OogwEq5I9as

Dr Hauzer on the 3DO. (Full 3D, full texture mapped environment)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EY1zK_wz_0

sebadude

Post by sebadude » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:34 am

Joey wrote:I post this as ive finally tracked this game down after a few months of searching and got it for a good price.

Crisis Force on the Famicom.

Made by Konami the graphics are at an almost 16-bit level, in terms of multiple-scrolling backgrounds and large sprites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCxmyjo3 ... re=related

That looks brilliant for a NES game! It just goes to show what difference the right kind of programming can do.

Also, another game that I remembered was 3D Deathchase on the ZX Spectrum...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gqw-KE3x1A
Compare this to the monochrome look of most speccy games, it's more like a SNES ;)

That Batman and Robin game on the MD looks incredible - every level seems to have scaling and rotation all over the place! Might have to track it down, even though I gather it's very difficult.

Pixiu

Post by Pixiu » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:43 am

Probably didn't push the system to its limits, but Chronicles of Riddick on xbox made good use of the hardware.

Also Doom 3 and Half-life 2.
"A farmer doesn't bother telling a pig its breath smells like sh*t."

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:25 am

aztecca wrote: Was also amazed at the graphics on some of the games Rare made for the snes the Donkey kong country games especially blew me away first time i saw them.
Deffers. I still remember seeing Donkey Kong Country for the first time on Gamesmaster. I thought it was on some new hardware but when they said it was on the SNES I almost bloody dropped. The first time I got to the mountains with all the snow I just sat and watched it.

I can ramble on for hours about DKC. It genuinly is my all time favourite video game. Never get bored of it, not even for a second. Ive never got 100% on it, and to be honest I never want to. Because I love the fact of knowing that theres always a little something still there to find.

Nostalgic rant over! :D
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:44 am

street racer on MD always seemed kind of impressive. if i remember this right, it had mode 7 tracks like a snes and was 4 player - 4 mode 7 seven tracks on one screen with no dedicated graphics mode in hardware. seemed like voodoo.

mind you i think i remember one of the versions (maybe the snes) had up to 8 players...

i find stuff like Gynoug impressive, just the sheer amount of sprites flying around and weird warpy backgrounds, the sheer amount of detail in aes games like pulstar is frightening.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:48 am

I would say that Mario 64 is the game that shows the N64 to its full potential , and how to do a 3D version of a 2d game properly

Some of the later Speccy games defied belief , ports like Carrier Command and Starglider were truly impressive - and of course there's always R-Type.,,

The most impressive combination of graphics , audio and gamesize on the C64 for me was Activision's Labyrinth , although DOTC was a very impressive port of the 16-bit original (and improved on the Amiga version in many ways)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:02 am

Think Panzer Dragoon Saga on the Sega Saturn really pushed the hardware, its probably the best of what the system can do and showed what it was truely capable of. :D

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:06 am

C=Style wrote:Most Treasure games push the systems very hard. Astro Boy Omega Factor on GBA is a good example, fair amount of slow down and a class game too. Radiant Silvergun.. 'nuff said.

Bangai-O on N64 and DC and Spirits on DS has copious amounts of slowdown when you rack up full counters with lots of enemies on the screen, it's a thing of pure beauty to see the hardware chugging like that. Alien Soldier and Dynamite Headdy on MD pushed a lot out of the system also.

Metal Slug (any) Neo Geo, MS2 had massive slowdown, I guess there must have been a programming breakthrough after that game was made as the rest of the series didn't suffer the same fate despite even more on-screen action.

Wouldnt you say though that severe slowdown is pushing a system beyond what it is capabale of and therefore not a good thing?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:22 am

For the N64 I think Perfect Dark really pushed the cosole hard, quite a stunning looking game and nothing on any other console at the time could even come close. It was just so ahead of it's time.

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine along with the other Factor 5 Star Wars games were all incredibly impressive. They pushed the N64 to the absolute max with 640 x 480 resolution with all manner of special effects and high texture detail. Factor 5 wrote their own custom micro code which allowed them to pull off tricks that hadn't been possible before. I have to admit from playing these games on the N64 hardware they are really impressive. More like early/low end PS2 games than something from the 32/64-bit era.

Also Resident Evil 2 was an amazing achievemnt, fitting both campaigns on the cartridge with nothing cut. How the hell did Capcom do it! 8)
paranoid marvin wrote: Wouldnt you say though that severe slowdown is pushing a system beyond what it is capabale of and therefore not a good thing?
No not at all, certainly in the case of Bangai-O and many shmups the slowdown helps, or else it would be too hard. I look at it as a good thing, I love to see a system pushed to it's limits like that.

I guess though it does depend on the game, sometimes slowdown is a bad thing I agree (R-Type Final for example) and I can see how some people don't like it.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:04 am

For me, the game on the N64 I was was most impressed with was Mario 64. Which sounds daft, but I think that final era of actually exciting games, then Mario 64 signed it off well.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:05 am

I think slowdown can be a problem, it just depends on how the programmers cope with it. Zynaps on the C64 gets very difficult at times because the ships and all the bullets are sprites, and when there are a lot of bullets on screen the action slows down and sprites flicker and disappear and that's clearly not a good thing. Other games like Wizball use character graphics for bullets thereby reducing potential strain on the sprite multiplexing.

Perfect Dark is, I think, another example, perhaps along with Jet Force Gemini - both good games but I didn't really get into them because the low frame rate made it difficult to aim. Had I bought them at the time instead of more recently as a collector, I expect I would've just persevered with it, but in an age where I'm a bit precious about any shooter that runs at less than 60fps, it's less easy to overlook!
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)