Worst beat-em-ups ever

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

gman72

Re: Worst beat-em-ups ever

Post by gman72 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:39 pm

Final fight revenge was well gash
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:15 pm

Ninja Hamster - ZX Spectrum

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:17 pm

is that the sequal to samurai gerbil ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:00 pm

C=Style wrote:Ninja Hamster - ZX Spectrum

I actually quite liked that. Ok the gameplay was utter gash, but it had some great characters for a speccy title.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:39 pm

Me and a mate bought Red Heat for the Atari ST. Jesus f***ing Christ on a bike with s***sticks!!!! worse game eva! We played a couple of levels then blanked the disks.
Scott me up beamie!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:48 pm

I've recently played Primal Rage on the 3DO and it is shat. The whole theme of fighting dinosaurs is the only merit here and it seems that even the devs knew that. One fighting game that I really can't be bothered with.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:50 pm

Megamixer wrote:I've recently played Primal Rage on the 3DO and it is shat. The whole theme of fighting dinosaurs is the only merit here and it seems that even the devs knew that. One fighting game that I really can't be bothered with.

played it on the saturn and it part of midway arcade treasures 1

what a censored load of censored not even the dinosaurs ( i dont like dinosaurs ) make it worth while to play
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Dennoman

Post by Dennoman » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:02 pm

The arcade original was quite fun, but the console versions suffered dearly from the conversion.

Always on the look-out for fighting games!
Have any stray ones laying about? Let me know and we'll try to give them a cosy new home.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:07 pm

It's just the controls...they're utter b0llocks. Whoever heard of holding buttons down then using the d-pad? Doesn't help that the actual button assignments are a bit confusing. 6-button configurations only work with smooth, flowing fighters such as Street Fighter in my opinion, not some horrible clunky rip-off where the T-rex from Jurassic Park makes his second fortune.

The crappy cut-scenes in the 3DO version also suck.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:45 pm

gman72 wrote:Final fight revenge was well gash
I bought mine from Raven games mail order back in the days before the internet reviewed things quick. The guy from Raven was like "yes mate it's defo a 2D beat-em-up Im looking at the back of box right now" Are you sure I said as I'd heard it was a crap 3D STV game. No he said. The game turned up. Crap STV Game. All my friends had just bought Soul Calibur on Dreamcast. I felt like a bit of a censored.

So I made myself like it - kind of like the end of the book 1984 where the main character ends up loving the system he hated so much to begin with.

And also its now bizarrely worth a small fortune. Result :)

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:56 am

Well I brought mine online about 5 years ago, and unlike you I didn't go in blind I already knew it was shat but bought it for too much money. I played it once then flogged on the bay for half of what I paid. What a mug. ;)
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Tapey297

Post by Tapey297 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:53 pm

I can't Believe no one has mentioned the C64 melbourne house version of Double Dragon. just truly awful.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:11 pm

Tapey297 wrote:I can't Believe no one has mentioned the C64 melbourne house version of Double Dragon. just truly awful.
Is that the one that somehow got a ZZAP Sizzler even though it had terrible blocky graphics and you had to use space bar during play to pull off moves... terrible?

Britpop95

Post by Britpop95 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:44 pm

I guess I should read the entire thread before throwing in my 10 pence as they might have already been mentioned but here we go anyway:

1. Rise of the Robots. Lovely to look at but quite possibly the most unplayable fighter i've ever come across. Just had a quick Wiki of this and it appears that the once great CVG gave it 90%. Think it's safe to say a few bags of cash were exchanged between hands there. Maybe.

2. Eternal Champions. This was going to be the one, a few years in development, more than a few delays but it didn't matter because this was going to be the SFII beater.......but it wasn't. Now perhaps my expectations were way too high and going back to it after 15 years might surprise me but all I know is that I thought it was shocking 'back in the day'.
Into the Wonderful

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:26 pm

Britpop95 wrote:I guess I should read the entire thread before throwing in my 10 pence as they might have already been mentioned but here we go anyway:
2. Eternal Champions. This was going to be the one, a few years in development, more than a few delays but it didn't matter because this was going to be the SFII beater.......but it wasn't. Now perhaps my expectations were way too high and going back to it after 15 years might surprise me but all I know is that I thought it was shocking 'back in the day'.

Dead wrong with this, massively underated great fighting system, inuitive special moves and the Mega CD version is a joy to behold
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769