Recommend me some N64 games!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Roo

Re: Recommend me some N64 games!

Post by Roo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:39 pm

pottyboy wrote:Got my controller pak yesterday, so I spent an hour or so on Turok last night. It's a good game, but it's spoilt by rubbish controls. I found the jumping sections frustrating because of this! :evil:
The pixel-perfect jumping isn't restricted to the first hour, sadly. But persevere! I'd say its a better game than the horribly-cluttered sequels (though Rage Wars is always good for a fragfest)

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:06 pm

I got Ridge Racer 64 today! Yay! RRRIIIDDDGGGGEEEEE RRRAAACCCEEEERRR!!! :D :D :D

I've just played it... and it's as brilliant as the PS1 games.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:34 pm

And I've just won an official RAM expansion for the tidy sum of £5.50 (+ £1.50 P&P = £7) :D

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:12 pm

^ good price, now get Perfect Dark!

N64 is simply one of the best systems ever. :) Good to see your enjoying it.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:02 am

I forgot a lot of PS1 games got ported to the N64 late in its lifespan, I'll have to give ridge racer a try. Did anyone play N64 wipeout?

Roo

Post by Roo » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:34 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:Did anyone play N64 wipeout?
I thought it was a poor effort. It wasn't anywhere close to WipeOut 2097, or even the original. The things that made the WipeOut series a fan favourite - namely, the soundtrack, the graphics and the unique track design - were royally botched up.

It's one of the few N64 carts I have no desire in owning whatsoever.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:23 am

lol, you boys obviously missed that discussion we were having a few weeks ago about Wipeout64.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

ninty

Post by ninty » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:30 am

I thought it was a poor effort. It wasn't anywhere close to WipeOut 2097, or even the original. The things that made the WipeOut series a fan favourite - namely, the soundtrack, the graphics and the unique track design - were royally botched up.
I beg to differ !!!!! Been playing this most nights after work, first of all the controls. The Nintendo 64 controller is absolutely PERFECT for playing this game so if you have any problems with smashing into walls, etc, you can rest assured that it was all completely YOUR OWN fault.

There is minor clipping in the background, but your too busy looking at the smooth scrolling road to care. Music wise my not be the Chemical Brothers/ prodigy but what the cart pumps out is nigh on cd quality anyway and you could always turn it down it and put your Chemical Brothers cd in the background on anyway if you're that bothered that is.

No blimming loading either ! :D

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:16 am

^ definitely agree.

It may not have the soundtrack but I prefer the smoother N64 graphics with it's proper texture filtering which makes the game feel more solid, but it's the gameplay I enjoy so much. Perfect control and very addictive to play. It has the best gameplay out of any WipEout game I've played, but I appreciate my opinion may not be popular, just pisses me off when people tell me how wrong I am and try and change my mind.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:42 pm

I just said you were wrong, I have no interest in changing your mind.. You expressed your opinion, and I express mine, no more than that :)
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:12 pm

Wipeout 64 is only about a fiver now, it's gotta be worth a punt at that price.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:26 am

C=Style wrote:proper texture filtering
<snigger>
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:56 am

I prefer the environment and track to not look like it's made up of patchwork quilt, but to each his own. To each his own...

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:31 pm

I've managed to win both Turok 2 and Lylat Wars for a fiver (in total, not each), but that's gonna be it for now. I've got enough N64 games to keep me busy for the next few months :)

Plus I got my copy of Demon's Souls through the post a few days back, so I've got that to play through as well!

RPKGV

Post by RPKGV » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:57 pm

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet, but Space Station Silcon Valley. It's a really unique platform/puzzle game made by the same people who make the GTA games.
My Youtube retro & new video game reviews, glitches, and more, http://www.youtube.com/user/RPKGameVids