Recommend me some N64 games!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pottyboy

Recommend me some N64 games!

Post by pottyboy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:39 pm

I've just recently dug out my N64 that I bought from a jumble sale a few months back to try out some games that I bought off filecore at the Retro Computer Games Festival. I was going to get rid of it, but now I've changed my mind as it's a damn good machine (well, apart from the blurry graphics!) with some great games available for it. So far, I have:

- Super Mario 64
- Goldeneye
- Conker's Bad Fur Day
- Banjo Kazooie
- Turok
- ISS '98

All of the above are great games. I also have Zelda: Majora's Mask, but I'm unable to play that as I don't have the RAM expansion which is required to play this game. I also have a sadly non-working copy of Mario Kart 64 :-(. Luckily, I've just bought another copy off eBay for a few quid, along with Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Star Wars Racer (the latter being a great game. Me and my brother used to love playing the Apple Mac version on our first iMac).

So apart from those, what other games are worth a try? I mostly love adventure (either RPG or platformer), arcade and racing games.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

David

Re: Recommend me some N64 games!

Post by David » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:42 pm

one of my all time faves is wcw vs nwo revenge

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:47 pm

David wrote:one of my all time faves is wcw vs nwo revenge
Sorry mate. Should have mentioned that wrestling games are a no-no for me as I'm not a fan of the sport. Just doesn't appeal to me.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:48 pm

Body Harvest is a good one; made by DMA, same guys as made GTA and Lemmings.
KIrby 64 if you can find a copy. It's supposed to be pretty rare in PAL territories (is it?).

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:08 pm

I'm as guilty as anybody for collecting loads of games and never playing them - I have about half and hour's playtime on several PS2 games that I've recently got hold of. But I would just say you already have a game that stands out from the crowd, Conker's Bad Fur Day - graphically it's impressive and the music is fantastic, especially the piece that plays just as you go into Poo Mountain, it always cracks me up. Gameplay is quite challenging, with some particularly unforgiving paths to negotiate over thin planks, walls and suchlike. I put loads of hours into that game, whereas I have a few N64 games in my collection that remain more-or-less untouched to this day!
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:20 pm

The obvious Zelda needs to be mentioned... then onto a couple of my personal favs...
Blast Corps
Star Soldier
Mario Kart
Wave Race
Killer Instinct 2

Nautical Rudie

Post by Nautical Rudie » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:20 pm

Great call on Conker, fantastic game. A few recommendations:
Perfect Dark
Rogue Squadron
Rocket Robot On Wheels
Mario Tennis
Space Staion Silicon Valley
Ridge Racer 64
F Zero X
Fighters Destiny
Super Smash Bros
F Zero X

The best thing about N64 games is you can get a lot for under a fiver on ebay, usally pretty good condition.
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:39 pm

F-Zero X
F-Zero X
F-Zero X
F-Zero X
F-Zero X
F-Zero X
F-Zero X

Starfox 64.

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:49 pm

pottyboy wrote:
David wrote:one of my all time faves is wcw vs nwo revenge
Sorry mate. Should have mentioned that wrestling games are a no-no for me as I'm not a fan of the sport. Just doesn't appeal to me.
If you can play with 4 or even more friends I can assure you it's great fun.
I recall an afternoon at a friend's home: we were about 20 people doing the 'last man standing' (was it called battle royal? Can't remember) - the longest match we ever played.
There were 4 players on the mat and each time a fighter was eliminated or thrown out of the ring, another one replaced him - and the pad was passed on to the next friend.
We all played at least one round and it was a pure endurance challenge and none of us was such a fan of wrestling.

Roo

Post by Roo » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:00 pm

Nautical Rudie wrote:Great call on Conker, fantastic game. A few recommendations:
Perfect Dark
Rogue Squadron
Rocket Robot On Wheels
Mario Tennis
Space Staion Silicon Valley
Ridge Racer 64
F Zero X
Fighters Destiny
Super Smash Bros
F Zero X

The best thing about N64 games is you can get a lot for under a fiver on ebay, usally pretty good condition.
Good list. You've covered a lot of the essentials there, but I'd add Pilotwings 64, Blast Corps, Bust-A-Move 3DX, Pokémon Snap, Snowboard Kids, Lylat Wars, Pokémon Puzzle League and, of course, the mighty Paper Mario.

N64 has so many Triple-A classics that are so cheap. Best retro console there is, if you ask me.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:18 pm

Maybe not Triple-A classics, but Beetle Adventure Racing, Tetrisphere and NBA Courtside are all well worth a whirl.

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:32 pm

Probably already been mentioned but:

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Donkey Kong 64
Paper Mario
Super Smash Brothers

I also quite enjoyed Turok 3 and Armorines at the time although looking back they were pretty average and have doubtles aged poorly.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:50 pm

Pretty much most of the best game have already been mentioned but make sure you pick up Star Fox 64 asap. Stellar game.

Nautical Rudie

Post by Nautical Rudie » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:59 pm

Roo wrote: Good list. You've covered a lot of the essentials there, but I'd add Pilotwings 64, Blast Corps, Bust-A-Move 3DX, Pokémon Snap, Snowboard Kids, Lylat Wars, Pokémon Puzzle League and, of course, the mighty Paper Mario.

N64 has so many Triple-A classics that are so cheap. Best retro console there is, if you ask me.
Yep Paper Mario, Piotwings 64 and Blast Corps, can't believe I forgot to put them on there. I also forgot 1080 Snowboarding. Don't agree with Lylat Wars though, just could never get into it. I agree its the best retro console, especially for the cost of games etc nowadays. My N64 is one of my most treasured possessions, I still play it regularly.
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:07 pm

1080º is an awesome racing game, an all time favourite of mine and still looks great now. Mystical ninja is worth a look, a nuts adventure platform game. If you see a cheap copy of mischief makers or glover give them a try too.