MATTEL AQUARIUS - ANY COLLECTORS/ FANS?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ianpmarks

Re: MATTEL AQUARIUS - ANY COLLECTORS/ FANS?

Post by ianpmarks » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:55 pm

Timothy Redux wrote:
ianpmarks wrote:I'd love an Aquarius, but I've never actually seen one for sale... except on over priced eBay.
a car boot one would be a dream come true.
yer, they go for crazy money - but apparently only 30,000 were ever made. I have my brother's one from back in the day. I bought three cartridges for it, but they are also really expensive and you never ever see them in the wild. It's really a good fun machine - totally rubbish obviously - but fun in failed tech way
that's the sort of tech i like!

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:57 pm

the cartridge boxes had some brilliantly 80s artwork on them too
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:01 pm

see now I'm getting more and more jealous.
will keep checking eBay for a cheap old banger of an Aquarius

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:14 pm

this guy has one for £50 boxed ono - which seems OK - but no RF lead - i'm not sure how easy they are to get. I think patience is the key - I did see one go for £12 or something once - so it does happen

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boxed-Mattel- ... 35ef490aab

The only game I can see on eBay is Snafu, which I have. Utopia is the cartridge I really want to get. I used to have it and lost it. Great fun game.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:16 pm

I'm not sure I'd enjoy playing one much, though I may be wrong. What are the Aquarius emulators like? Any recommended ones to try and games to fire up in it? Not sure I've ever actually played one, though its possible I've had a go at an event.

I do love the design of the machine though, its very eye catching and quite distinguishable, it's not a bland thing. I'm sure it's one of the machines I used to drool over in The Home Computer Course.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:20 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I'm not sure I'd enjoy playing one much, though I may be wrong. What are the Aquarius emulators like? Any recommended ones to try and games to fire up in it? Not sure I've ever actually played one, though its possible I've had a go at an event.

I do love the design of the machine though, its very eye catching and quite distinguishable, it's not a bland thing. I'm sure it's one of the machines I used to drool over in The Home Computer Course.
not exactly emulation, but I'm told it's very similar to the Intellivision (though I've not played the intellivision other than a ps2 compilation )

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:28 am

I also have one, don't have much of a collection though. It is without doubt THE worst machine I own and I very rarely feel the need to fire it up, still looks nice though.
I don't actually think they are that expensive on Ebay considering how few were made, it's a veritable snip when compared to a Jupiter Ace.

If you really want an Aquarius, this is the baby to go for, best of luck finding one as they are one of the rarest machines out there and I have never seen one on Ebay.

ImageImageImage

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:11 pm

wow - had NO idea there was an Aquarius II :shock:

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:46 pm

Timothy Redux wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:I'm not sure I'd enjoy playing one much, though I may be wrong. What are the Aquarius emulators like? Any recommended ones to try and games to fire up in it? Not sure I've ever actually played one, though its possible I've had a go at an event.

not exactly emulation, but I'm told it's very similar to the Intellivision (though I've not played the intellivision other than a ps2 compilation )
I think it was actually inferior to the Inty, just look at the two versions of TRON Deadly Discs.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:50 pm

It wouldn't surprise me - one day hopefully I'll snag an Intellivision and be able to compare.

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:02 am

I love the Intellivision, one of my favourite machines ever. Sadly, my CRT is bust, and I can't get a picture on my HD.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:39 am

BellyFullOfHell wrote:I love the Intellivision, one of my favourite machines ever. Sadly, my CRT is bust, and I can't get a picture on my HD.
I do actually have of those Jakks type Intellision game plug-ins, but its still in the box. ( The NES one I had was fairly good - must try it soon)

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:34 am

PanzerGeneral wrote:I also have one, don't have much of a collection though. It is without doubt THE worst machine I own and I very rarely feel the need to fire it up, still looks nice though.
I don't actually think they are that expensive on Ebay considering how few were made, it's a veritable snip when compared to a Jupiter Ace.

If you really want an Aquarius, this is the baby to go for, best of luck finding one as they are one of the rarest machines out there and I have never seen one on Ebay.

ImageImageImage
Is a Jupiter Ace worth money then? I have one somewhere. I just considered it a bit of a curio, never tried using it.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:49 am

Yes, Jupiter Aces are very rare and quite sought after