Favourite gaming magazines

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

slayer6000

Favourite gaming magazines

Post by slayer6000 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:09 am

Im not sure if there have been many posts about magazines in the past, if there has i apologise. I was just wondering what peoples favourite magazines from the past are, mine would be Commodore Format which covered the C64/128. As a child i can remember how exciting it was when i saw it in the shop and my parents bought it for me, I eventually managed to talk my dad into subscribing to it though!. Obviously the first thing to do was to load up the cassette on the front and play the months demos! I would read the magazine from cover to cover and then again, I loved it, I still have all the datasettes, with just a few odd ones missing, but a few searches on ebay are slowly filling these gaps in. Unfortunatley though I threw the magazines out years ago after my mum convinced me there was no point in keeping them!!!!! I really regret this now as i would love to read throught them all again (if anybody has them id be very intrested in them).

Ive read various other publications over the years, Zzap 64, Sega Force, Sega Power, gamesmaster, I even went through a phase of reading PC Format when i got my DOS/ windows 95 addiction back in the day. But none of these were continous loves like Commodore Format.

Im currently buying older magazines off ebay from the early 90's (mainly Sega) asnd reading them is so enjoyable, especially since i still play my sega console collection, reading them still makes me buy games i read reviews of, even if the game has been released for 18 years!

What other magazine memories do you guys have, perhaps we can compile a list of our favourites, and most popular\succesful magazines.
This week i av mostly been playing dreamcast

AceGrace

Re: Favourite gaming magazines

Post by AceGrace » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:35 am

The One (Amiga) for me. Brilliant mag.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:41 am

SuperPlay, loved the anime stylings, the enthusiasm and the fact that it reported pretty heavily on the US and Japanese scene as well as the UK.

PC-Zone (pre Future Era), as mentioned in another recent thread I don't think there has been another games mag that was so irreverent, funny and close to the wire in terms of content.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:43 am

Amiga format

slayer6000

Post by slayer6000 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:57 am

Does anybody collect magazines along side there games collections?
This week i av mostly been playing dreamcast

Haggler

Post by Haggler » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:16 am

1) Zzap 64
2) Commodore user
3) C&VG
Grab a freeware classic remake, Retro clones/remakes A-Z list Here

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:30 am

Zzap!64 - The best magazine of any kind, ever.
Then it was out of The One and CU Amiga. I liked Amiga Action and Amiga Format as well.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:39 am

I'm a fan of SEGA Power, Mean Machines (inc. SEGA) etc. I had many of these in the past and it's great to see (and perhaps a little bit disturbing) that people kept them in such good condition.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:44 am

Naughty Neighbours is my fave gaming magazine because of the informative articles and eye catching cover art.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

siamesegiant

Post by siamesegiant » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:48 am

Super Play was immense. I remember reading Final Fantasy Forum and thinking it looked so awesome, thought I'd never be able to play it though. Did persuade me to buy Chrono Trigger though, and there's certainly no regrets there.

Seem to remember Megatech was a really good Megadrive magazine. There were a lot of really, really shoddy ones around in that era. When Streetfighter II came out loads of mags reviewed copies that weren't even finished, and I'm pretty sure some of them reviewed it without even playing it. You probably wouldn't get away with stuff like that now, thankfully.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:25 pm

I always liked Arcade - really well written, beautifully designed and just a little bit different from all the other PR releases disguised as mags around at the time.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:28 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:I always liked Arcade - really well written, beautifully designed and just a little bit different from all the other PR releases disguised as mags around at the time.
Completely forgot about Arcade (I have issue 1 with the Tomb Raider cover around here somewhere), probably The best multi-format mag of the 32 bit era.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:32 pm

I have a near complete run of Super Plays up to issue 43 with the woman off Final Fight Tough on the Cover, my pobally all time favourite Mag, CU and Mean Machines come a close second..
2 x boxes of C+VG the oldest issue being from 1982 with the Medusa cover
Lots of Commodore User which 'Vulture kindly gave me for free' CU was my favourite mag
Did have a complete Zzap set but gave them to Vulture except the first 10 which sold on ebay..
I do have 2 x issue's of Commodore Format issue 6 Shadow Dancer cover and issue 9 Blonde Woman fighting dragon on the cover, never liked it as much as CU though
Mean Machines issue 1 the 16 - 24
Maximum complete run
Box of misc mags Games Zone, Zero, Mean Machines Sega, a few Zzaps, American mags etc
Last edited by Shinobi on Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:40 pm

FatTrucker wrote:SuperPlay, loved the anime stylings, the enthusiasm and the fact that it reported pretty heavily on the US and Japanese scene as well as the UK and PC-Zone (pre Future Era), as mentioned in another recent thread I don't think there has been another games mag that was so irreverent, funny and close to the wire in terms of content.
SuperPlay for sure! There's not much to even touch it nowadays. They all seem to be about the ads and a few press release "reviews."

I also loved a pretty hardcore bi-monthly mag called Maximum. Pity it didn't last that long as it was absolutely brilliant. :cry:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:46 pm

Shinobi wrote:I have a near complete run of Super Plays up to issue 43 with the woman off Final Fight Tough on the Cover..
c
If you ever get rid of that let me know.... god I wish I never binned all my magazines. :(
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)