Space Giraffe coming to Xbox360

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
FatTrucker
Posts: 4724
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Essex

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:37 am

merman wrote: As for the "slavish fanboys", that sort of loyalty stems from being a fan for many years, in the same way a football fan or a fan of a particular band develops a strong connection over the years.
So he's a kind of Sony for people with beards and a penchant for real ale?. :twisted:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.
Image

User avatar
Mootown
Posts: 3853
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:33 am
Location: Blacktooth Castle, Basingstoke...
Contact:

Post by Mootown » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:16 am

FatTrucker wrote:
merman wrote: As for the "slavish fanboys", that sort of loyalty stems from being a fan for many years, in the same way a football fan or a fan of a particular band develops a strong connection over the years.
So he's a kind of Sony for people with beards and a penchant for real ale?. :twisted:
Isn't everybody a fanboy to some extent? Otherwise you wouldn't have any loyalty to anything at all....

User avatar
FatTrucker
Posts: 4724
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Essex

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:24 am

Never a truer word spoken. Still, Space Giraffe eh?.

Looks pretty, but not really my cup of tea. You can only really play so many versions of the same game before it loses its lustre and the Tempest template is very old and well used now.

Mind you, other than the aesthetics does this offer anything radically new in terms of gameplay or is it another repackaged version of Tempest?. If it brings a lot of new or fresh mechanics to the table it might well be worth a punt.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.
Image

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8707
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Post by Dudley » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:25 am

merman wrote:
The point is, the review and the score are suggesting the game is BROKEN, and badly broken to the point of being nearly unplayable. Jeff maintains that you CAN see the bullets (and there are additional audio cues), so the review itself is flawed.
Jeff is, for many reasons, hardly the average person.

If the average gamer can't see the bullets (and btw, Stu on his board said the VAST majority of his early deaths were things he couldn't see) then it is essentially broken for the purposes of a mainstream review.

I'll judge whether I'm ok tonight.
Last edited by Dudley on Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

User avatar
Emperor Fossil
Posts: 1705
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Already rockin the Christmas cap, WOOOOH!

Post by Emperor Fossil » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:35 am

Further to that, what appears to be perfectly visible or obvious to the guy/s responsible for making a game often isn't for the rest of the population (or the bulk of them anyway.) Just ask the Last Hope guys about their so-called perfectly visible bullets.

Personally, I'd like to see Space Giraffe do well, as I like the idea of Live Arcade not only supporting new games but being an arena in which new ideas can be tried out, but if the game does turn out to provide too many 'what hit me?' moments, I can't see how that won't count against it.

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8707
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:53 pm
Contact:

Post by Dudley » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:44 am

Oh absolutely, and for 400 points I'm still buying it sight unseen because frankly, new content at that price should be supported.

But I don't like dismissing the review out of hand when, reviewing for the average person, it's not so silly. The Team Xbox review of 4.3/10 is very well reasoned when giving that score too (although the idiots got the price wrong)
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

User avatar
Emperor Fossil
Posts: 1705
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 7:23 pm
Location: Already rockin the Christmas cap, WOOOOH!

Post by Emperor Fossil » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:01 am

Hmm, yeah that teamxbox review does appear to be thoughtful look at the game. I don't think anyone could accuse the reviewer of dismissing it out of hand. It seems he really wanted to like it but just couldn't, and he certainly urges people to try out the demo to make up their own minds, which is considerate. Shame about the price stuff-up though.

User avatar
Smurph
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:18 pm
Location: Co. Antrim
Contact:

Post by Smurph » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:37 am

After a good bit of play, I can understand why this is such a marmite game: however, give it a bit of practice and do the tutorial a couple of times, and read the tips in the options screen before forming an opinion: it needs the attention. I personally think this is an excellent game, loads of tactics, great fun, lovely visuals and as mad as a box of weasels. There are moments when you think 'what killed me?' but only if the flow of play hasn't seeped into your head. It's not because of unseen bullets unless you just aren't paying attention. Great fun.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

User avatar
felgekarp
Posts: 9351
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 11:47 am
Location: Earth 3

Post by felgekarp » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:42 am

I would have preferred an option to tone the visuals down a little and it's definately not a pick up and play game but fun nonetheless.
Splink!

User avatar
The Last Ginja
Posts: 2005
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:29 pm
Location: Currently Adventuring in Norwich

Post by The Last Ginja » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:00 am

Smurph wrote:After a good bit of play, I can understand why this is such a marmite game: however, give it a bit of practice and do the tutorial a couple of times, and read the tips in the options screen before forming an opinion: it needs the attention. I personally think this is an excellent game, loads of tactics, great fun, lovely visuals and as mad as a box of weasels. There are moments when you think 'what killed me?' but only if the flow of play hasn't seeped into your head. It's not because of unseen bullets unless you just aren't paying attention. Great fun.
Pretty much what he said. You need to give this game your full concentration, otherwise you'll drop lives, left right and centre. I love the visuals and sound, they match the gameplay wonderfully. It's not a straightforward, slide across the web shoot everything game, there's a wonderful risk vs reward system going on.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be selling well, I played it about 1230 this morning and only 2900 people had scores on the leaderboard. Buy it People!!!!

User avatar
Rev. Stuart Campbell
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:28 am

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:15 am

"Full concentration" isn't really enough. By the time you're 20 or 30 levels in, there might be 15 things happening at any given time that you need to be fairly urgently keeping tabs on, and the human mind simply can't cope with that many. (I think the maximum number of things we're supposedly able to track at once is seven.) Then it's just a matter of luck if one of the ones you're not watching kills you or not.

As such, it's perfectly possible for the author to say "But nothing's invisible, everything has a visual and aural signal", and for each individual enemy that'll be totally true. But in reality you can't process all of them, so some things will in effect be invisible to you, and when they smush you it feels really unfair.

The TXB review is pretty fair, and a pretty accurate summary of my own feelings about SG - I really want to like it, but ultimately I don't think I'm going to be able to.

User avatar
Crunchy
Posts: 2123
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:43 am
Location: Claymorgue Castle

Post by Crunchy » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:17 pm

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:"Full concentration" isn't really enough. By the time you're 20 or 30 levels in, there might be 15 things happening at any given time that you need to be fairly urgently keeping tabs on, and the human mind simply can't cope with that many. (I think the maximum number of things we're supposedly able to track at once is seven.) Then it's just a matter of luck if one of the ones you're not watching kills you or not.

As such, it's perfectly possible for the author to say "But nothing's invisible, everything has a visual and aural signal", and for each individual enemy that'll be totally true. But in reality you can't process all of them, so some things will in effect be invisible to you, and when they smush you it feels really unfair.
So very true, and a problem compounded by the design of some of the grids. Some areas are out of view depending on where you're currently positioned. This narked me no end on the "Wrong Pill" level. On other grids the actual viewing area is ludicrously small (the Blancmange level is a typical culprit) and this not only gives you very little chance of spotting a bullet, it also makes it difficult to see how your powerzone is doing.

Space Giraffe is nearly Minter's best but it contains some fundamental flaws in both looks and gameplay that annoy too much. Any game where you have to pretty much fluke a level has failed to deliver IMO. A wider range of testers should have been involved in SG's development I think. Less of the fanboy and more of the genuinely objective type of tester and this game would have been awesome. As it is, SG is just another great/rubbish marmite Minter curio.

User avatar
RetroENZO
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:08 pm
Location: South Wales
Contact:

Post by RetroENZO » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:53 am

Played the demo on Xbox live last night and was slightly... okay a lot underwhelmed. Certainly not enough to get me to part with 400 points. I'll try it again later to see if a second play improves my impression of it, but I agree with what's been said in that it's impossible to see the bullets and dying randomly is quite common.
Geoff
Facebook and Twitter
Image

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26890
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:20 am

Not being a 360 owner, what's the actual cash value of 400 points?
Just so I can get this in perspective compared to buying, say, Tempest 2000 or Tempest X3.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests