Retro clones/remakes A-Z list

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Haggler

Retro clones/remakes A-Z list

Post by Haggler » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:16 pm

Ok i'm new here but considering you're a retro gaming forum thought i'd share this with you, i decided to post links to not one but two comprehensive A-Z lists, i recently knocked together two lists of Retro clones/remakes, one for Retro remakes forum and the other for AVforums.

Due to my thread on AVforums being two years old it has just received a comprehensive update, alongside the obvious download links for the included games i have also included video previews of included games where available and original game music remixes for play and download, all included content should be freeware. The Retro remakes list is devoid of the play/download remixed music due to the forum not supporting the play feature and both lists have had everything (clips,images) hosted at different places, now if either forum is down the list will still be accessible at the other location.

These lists are remakes/clones of previously commercial or pd released titles, there are no 'retro type' games included.

Note :- None of lists were requested from either forum, rather me deciding they were needed :D

None of these titles require emulators to run, they are Retro clones/remakes of the original titles and just need a pc, for the anti install brigade you can check whether it needs installing or not prior to downloading as i have included that info too.

I hope you enjoy this resource, it has taken me many many hours of spare time and a few months of updating at both sites to finish what i started, enjoy.

Click the images below to view the appropriate list (note the include game content is the same on both lists) the download resources are added as guide only :-

Retro clones/remakes A-Z list at AVForums

Retro clones/remakes A-Z list at Retro Remakes

Comments welcomed

Haggler...
Last edited by Haggler on Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grab a freeware classic remake, Retro clones/remakes A-Z list Here

Lorfarius

Re: Retro clones/remakes A-Z list

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:08 pm

Cool very handy :D
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

Haggler

Post by Haggler » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:02 pm

Both lists have have had a few more titles added

Remakes of a couple of hard to find titles :- Ah diddums and Henrys house alongside Robotzdx and The factory with working links to Bor mods for Golden axe remake and Golden axe Coda amongst others. Content has now reached at least 456 games.

Enjoy

Gnome

Post by Gnome » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:50 am

Excellent work there!
Usually blogging over at Gnome's Lair, steadily into Retro Treasures and some cabaret.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:52 am

a Retro Gamer's Dream, thanks very much for all your hard work..have bookmarked this gem..;)

Grey.
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

Haggler

Post by Haggler » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:45 pm

Updated both lists again, please note though when i add titles i don't include only new releases, due to the amount of remakes that have been released there are loads of missed gems, two of those which were missed due to download links being broken are now included.

New additions include a remake of splatterhouse called living hell, another remake of Green beret namely Red forces, Spy hunter (one switch) and Castlevania the bloodleting (Remake of the never released 32x title)

There's another superb remake of arcade classic donkey kong which i'll include soon, this contains at least 4 extra levels and online high scores there's a few bugs still to iron out imo, but it's already fantastic and a great challenge, i love this game and it's what i'm currently playing atm.

For now enjoy what's here :wink:

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Hunters Moon & Panther - sweet. Nice one mate!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:52 am

Thanks for mentioning Robotz Dx in this list... (I assume it's my remake?)
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
8-128 Bit & beyond: Indie game development news for vintage & modern computer hardware.

Haggler

Post by Haggler » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:35 am

Heavy Stylus wrote:Thanks for mentioning Robotz Dx in this list... (I assume it's my remake?)
Yep indeed, it features like everything else on both lists, should hopefully provide a bit more promotion for all your effort. 8)

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:14 am

Can I suggest that Astrogeddon (http://www.ortsoftware.com/ag.html) is a much closer Stardust/Super Stardust clone/remake?
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
8-128 Bit & beyond: Indie game development news for vintage & modern computer hardware.

Haggler

Post by Haggler » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:17 am

Heavy Stylus wrote:Can I suggest that Astrogeddon (http://www.ortsoftware.com/ag.html) is a much closer Stardust/Super Stardust clone/remake?
Going on looks alone you're probably right, however it isn't a freeware title which is all the lists contain and therefore cannot be included, i knocked these lists together as a promotional aid (lot's of sites link to them) for all classic game remakers who get little in the way of thanks for all their effort and maybe don't have the time to spend promoting their games.

I have played nearly all of the included remakes myself and to a large extent enjoyed doing so and it's only fair given my lack of game making skills that i help out somehow, these lists enabled me to do that (mainly consuming my time and forum use) and give something back to the community for others to enjoy, promotion and recognition of a decent product encourages you the remaker to maybe continue making more, commercial products don't really need that as they could do a much better promoting job themselves i'm sure....

Haggler

Post by Haggler » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:12 pm

Both lists have have had a few more titles added

Remakes of :- Brainstorm now Brainstorm redux, Galaxian with a twist Galaxian 2007, the latest Donkey kong remake which includes additional levels and is now a completely new version called Donkey kong craze alongside another Pacmania and a pacman worlds remake in the form of Pacman ex3 and PacZ respectively.

Content for both lists has now reached at least 461 games.

Enjoy