What has happened to eBay?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: What has happened to eBay?

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:43 pm

Kai wrote:What's even worse is that eBay changed the categories (at least over here in my little country): I cannot search specifically for Amiga games any more but have to browse through vintage gaming/commodore. As a result, I have to scroll through lists of C64 and Vic-20 games only to find a few Amiga games among them... :|
And yes, it's pretty disappointing that most of the auctions are gone and instead replaced with "buy now" options. :evil:
They've done that stupid vintage thing across the board so it's not just your country that suffers friend :(

It's really saddening to see complete copies of Panzer Dragoon Saga split up and sold off piece by piece. In fact, I'm so upset that somebody on here should sell me a copy for £20 to console me :wink:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:58 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Kai wrote:What's even worse is that eBay changed the categories (at least over here in my little country): I cannot search specifically for Amiga games any more but have to browse through vintage gaming/commodore. As a result, I have to scroll through lists of C64 and Vic-20 games only to find a few Amiga games among them... :|
And yes, it's pretty disappointing that most of the auctions are gone and instead replaced with "buy now" options. :evil:
They've done that stupid vintage thing across the board so it's not just your country that suffers friend :(

It's really saddening to see complete copies of Panzer Dragoon Saga split up and sold off piece by piece. In fact, I'm so upset that somebody on here should sell me a copy for £20 to console me :wink:
I feel your pain. Somebody should give me theirs, strapped to Victoria Hudgen's chest :D
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:09 pm

Somebody should just give me theirs.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

NonShinyGoose

Post by NonShinyGoose » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:23 pm

I've also been searching for Mega Drive games recently. The amount of games stuck on stupidly high BIN prices is...well, stupid.

My advice is to just wait until the games that you want appear on 99p start auctions. That way you can bid what you think it is really worth.

Also, not all BIN auctions are bad. I bagged Splatterhouse 2 for £2 on a BIN auction earlier today.
Gaming Gibberish - http://www.gamesasylum.com
Follow us on TWITTER - http://twitter.com/gamesasylum

360 Gamer Tag: NonShinyGoose

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:58 am

NonShinyGoose wrote:I've also been searching for Mega Drive games recently. The amount of games stuck on stupidly high BIN prices is...well, stupid.

My advice is to just wait until the games that you want appear on 99p start auctions. That way you can bid what you think it is really worth.

Also, not all BIN auctions are bad. I bagged Splatterhouse 2 for £2 on a BIN auction earlier today.
Gotta agree, I got Just Cause on xbox for £1.00 BIN with £1.00 postage. You can always get a bargain...you just gotta look!

NonShinyGoose

Post by NonShinyGoose » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:38 am

TyronW wrote:
NonShinyGoose wrote:I've also been searching for Mega Drive games recently. The amount of games stuck on stupidly high BIN prices is...well, stupid.

Gotta agree, I got Just Cause on xbox for £1.00 BIN with £1.00 postage. You can always get a bargain...you just gotta look!
I just got Sonic & Knuckles (boxed) and Comix Zone for £2 a pop too. :D
Gaming Gibberish - http://www.gamesasylum.com
Follow us on TWITTER - http://twitter.com/gamesasylum

360 Gamer Tag: NonShinyGoose

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:45 am

I'm a regular Mega Drive buyer too - I just picked up Batman and Robin for a fiver including postage - that's about my limit for a common game TBH, but it was in very nice condition.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:33 am

RetroBob wrote:I do like the most ridiculous MEGA RARE thread - even the name makes me chuckle.

I haven't yet seen this phenomenon of splitting games into box, cart and game bu I would never buy them separately just out of principle!
people are splitting box game and carts - that's the road to twatsville in my book.

i once read that old men sit all day in the public toilets in Hong Kong and you have to bribe them to leave so you can do you business - apparently they make good cash from it.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:55 am

There are loads of absurd BINs in the Vintage Computer category now, too. I'm seeing fairly commonplace machines like the Toshiba HX-10 MSX with BINs of £50 or more. C16s and Plus/4s also seem to have skyrocketed in value, a couple of years ago you could practically get them for loose change plus a tenner for postage. Maybe dealers have seen an opportunity to make a quick buck by buying up as many computers as possible from individuals who were getting them out of their loft and wanted to get them out of the way rather than make big money, and in so doing bringing up the base prices for the machines. In my experience the listings in RG seem to be underestimated these days.

I have more than enough old computers to have a respectable collection, but I always thought that I'd be able to replace them easily if they broke, which they frequently do!
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:39 am

Havantgottaclue wrote:There are loads of absurd BINs in the Vintage Computer category now, too. I'm seeing fairly commonplace machines like the Toshiba HX-10 MSX with BINs of £50 or more. C16s and Plus/4s also seem to have skyrocketed in value, a couple of years ago you could practically get them for loose change plus a tenner for postage. Maybe dealers have seen an opportunity to make a quick buck by buying up as many computers as possible from individuals who were getting them out of their loft and wanted to get them out of the way rather than make big money, and in so doing bringing up the base prices for the machines. In my experience the listings in RG seem to be underestimated these days.

I have more than enough old computers to have a respectable collection, but I always thought that I'd be able to replace them easily if they broke, which they frequently do!
"Value" is the important word here - something is only worth as much as people are willing to pay. If you look at the completed items on some of these rip off merchants (spence.77 being a good example) then you see a ton highly priced unsold stuff (or sometimes only sold at "best offer").

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:47 am

Ah, is that so? I did wonder whether any of these were actually shifting! Question is, will the prices start coming down? Or will dealers simply hang on to them (I should imagine storage space is a factor here), take a risk on relisting them numerous times in order to get a better sale price?

I must admit I hadn't thought of the Best Offer scenario either. Interesting.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:55 am

The other way for the shift is ebay have changed their listing policy

you get 100 free listings at 99p now and thats it per month

Which is great but if you have 25 items that dont sell for ever reason and relist then youve taken up half and so on

The BIN have longer auctions you can go to a month where as normal max is 10days and also the seller is in control of what the price they want to seel at is and havent got to worry about whacking a reserve (costing more) on it in the hope that it makes the 'right' price.
I know they charge more lin the long run but they is bugger all insertion fees and you only pay massively f it does sell at a price you like.

Iam annoyed as this has caused lots of common games to dissapear off ebay and now your left with rarer games because thats where the money is.

Dont get me wrong, i can see the point, it makes business sense. However trawling through for 1 or 2 common games a few years ago amongst all the crap theyve added by re aligning the catergories is annoying.

Okay its not 'collector friendly' thats what saved searches are for but its okay for everyone else
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Lentini2001

Post by Lentini2001 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:37 pm

Dont know where else to post, is this lot really worth £4k?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dreamcast-games-a ... 2a08169376

Not mine I must add.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:50 pm

Averages out at £30 per game (not including the hardware), so I doubt it.

Uaithne

Post by Uaithne » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:19 pm

I've been buying quite a lot off eBay over the past couple of months, and here in Australia it doesn't seem too bad ... yet, anyway.

Most of those that I buy off are people seeming to want to sell collections (I bought a pack including a MS, boxed MD2, boxed 32X and 15 games for about $150 recently) and rarely am I buying one off games (except maybe non-Platinum/Classic 360 games). I have however had some stuff imported from the UK - Found Quake on Saturn for a price cheap enough for me anyway, and Final Doom on PS1 for a few p - it's the postage that knocks me around there though.

I do agree though, I have to trawl through literally hundreds of 'auctions' to find what I want. Note, it's best not to do it after a couple of beers...
"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be a child forever" -Marcus Tullius Cicero, 46BC

Wants List | Items for Sale