What has happened to eBay?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroBob

What has happened to eBay?

Post by RetroBob » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:25 am

I started collecting games after I left uni in 2001, and whilst some purchases have been from shops, most have been from eBay. Since moving to Peterborough in 2006 I had bought a lot less stuff online, partly because I was satisfied with what I had. I've since bought a house and have a games room and in the last few months the bug has got me again!

So I went to trusty eBay to buy mainly Mega Drive games and I've found that the vast majority of games I want to buy are only available in ridiculously expensive Buy It Now's that never sell. It also seems that there's less around than there used to be, but I'm hoping this is a seasonal thing due to the lovely weather!

Has anyone else noticed this? I hate BINs as they take all the fun out of eBay and make it more expensive. Maybe I'm only looking at rare games, but I just felt a bit disappointed that it wasn't what it used to be.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Freestyler

Re: What has happened to eBay?

Post by Freestyler » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:24 am

People are more savvy to eBay now, and know exactly how much things sell for. (and specifically how to INFLATE prices to such an extent that it prices the "casuals" out of the market) Sadly eBay is a victim of its own success.

Try places like UsedSandwell (that's specific to my area - you might have one for yours. Check the bottom of the page) and places like that as an alternative. You'll often find mega bargains there.

The pre-owned section of Amazon is pretty censored too. A waste of time really. :cry:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Kai

Post by Kai » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:04 am

What's even worse is that eBay changed the categories (at least over here in my little country): I cannot search specifically for Amiga games any more but have to browse through vintage gaming/commodore. As a result, I have to scroll through lists of C64 and Vic-20 games only to find a few Amiga games among them... :|
And yes, it's pretty disappointing that most of the auctions are gone and instead replaced with "buy now" options. :evil:

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:05 am

Unfortunately E-bay is just full of greedy people now who put on extortionate Buy-it-nows to try and rip people off or put rare on everything including Mario Sunshine or Sonic the Hedgehog.

I've even seen people seperate games to sell off the discs, box and instructions in seperate auctions, just ridiculous greed.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:27 am

I usually only ever buy from auctions that start low now, don't get me wrong, I'm happy to pay a fair market value price, but I'm also prepared to wait for the right one in the right condition as it saves me spending a lot of money in a short time as well.

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:48 am

I don't even bother looking at the BIN's as just find it to be pointless. I wait for the 99p ones to appear and bid accordingly.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

vorhees

Post by vorhees » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:18 am

Box, cart and manual splitting are pretty common. I generally only buy carts for Nintendo but have noticed a lot of the people selling to me have the box and manual for sale as well

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:11 pm

dste wrote:Unfortunately E-bay is just full of greedy people now who put on extortionate Buy-it-nows to try and rip people off or put rare on everything including Mario Sunshine or Sonic the Hedgehog.

I've even seen people seperate games to sell off the discs, box and instructions in seperate auctions, just ridiculous greed.
I found somebody doing that with Panzer Dragoon Saga on the Saturn, I even posted about it in the 'Most Ridiculous Ebay' thread.....considering that the game often sells for around the £100 mark as it is, he saw fit to separate all 3 discs, the box and the manual into separate auctions that would've totalled closer to £130. Tosser. :evil:

Thing is, if he'd sold only 1 disc, then he'd have had to have sold the rest off for a pittance as no serious collector or gamer would be interested in an incomplete set. :lol:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:27 pm

That was the one I saw, couldn't remember which version it was.

Absolutely disgusting, I was actually really tempted to buy just one of the discs for that reason but decided against it as they were ridiculously expensve if I remember correctly.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:43 pm

Don't know whay people do that, to be honest. If I'm selling something, I'd rather keep it as one complete package than split it up. Just goes to show some people are complete pr1cks.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

RetroStation
Location: 'RETRO STATION', Sutton Inshops, 65 South Parade, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, B72 1QU.

Post by RetroStation » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:54 pm

JetSetWilly wrote:Don't know whay people do that, to be honest. If I'm selling something, I'd rather keep it as one complete package than split it up. Just goes to show some people are complete pr1cks.
We have never broke up a complete game ourselves, nor do we currently sell our retro games via ebay, but i do know somebody that does, i asked the guy how he can split a perfectly original and complete game such as final fantasy on the ps1 and his reaction was that he was breaking up one game to help complete 3 or 4 others. I could not help but notice that in doing so he was also making an extra £20 per game! It seems like a lot of unnecessary effort to me! :roll:

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:57 pm

RetroStation wrote:
JetSetWilly wrote:Don't know whay people do that, to be honest. If I'm selling something, I'd rather keep it as one complete package than split it up. Just goes to show some people are complete pr1cks.
We have never broke up a complete game ourselves, nor do we currently sell our retro games via ebay, but i do know somebody that does, i asked the guy how he can split a perfectly original and complete game such as final fantasy on the ps1 and his reaction was that he was breaking up one game to help complete 3 or 4 others. I could not help but notice that in doing so he was also making an extra £20 per game! It seems like a lot of unnecessary effort to me! :roll:
Thats exactly what I thought.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:51 pm

I've seen semi rare things going for mad money of late - seems like a few people are splashing the cash. Issue 0 Amtix (only 16 pages) for £52 - some Vic 20 carts that I got for £5 boxed, going for £30-£40 - and this is pure bidding not BIN. Weird.

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:59 pm

Yep - good old Ebay, it does seem to be getting a bit silly. One of my biggest irritations is seeing something selling relatively cheaply - then being reposted by the new buyer who has been in it purely for the dosh, I know we live in a capatalist society but this makes it difficult for genuine collectors who actually want to keep their purchases.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:00 pm

I do like the most ridiculous MEGA RARE thread - even the name makes me chuckle.

I haven't yet seen this phenomenon of splitting games into box, cart and game bu I would never buy them separately just out of principle!