Idea for magazine

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Xbox/GameCube/Ps2 Coverage in Retro Gamer

No, they are not retro machines
40%
Yes, but no more than two pages an issue
33%
Couldn't care either way, I just love reading about great games
27%

Total votes: 119

Chinnico

Re: Idea for magazine

Post by Chinnico » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:18 pm

I must confess I quickly browsed throught the pages, so I apologize for any repetition.
Considering that Wii, X360 and some early generation PS3 are stil compatible with GC, Xbox and PS2 back catalogue respectively, it's difficoult for me to consider such consoles retro in the same sense as an Atari 2600 would be.
I mean, today's games are mainly graphically buffed up versions of last gen's ones. Where's the gap that would make the latter retro?
Still, GC, Xbox and PS2 hosted some real gems, many of which inherited and carried over retro franchises that still endure in the current gen. More, they started some new franchises that are now regarded as 'classic' as Sonic would be (Halo? Shadow of the Colossus? Ookami?..).
In the end, I won't mind see them covered in the right context.
So, if you can find some reason to make me look at them as 'retro' and not simply 'old', go for it.
That's only my opinion, of course.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:50 pm

Well the first title i'll probably be looking at is a Game Boy Advance game...

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:28 pm

I think any consoles where games are no longer being commercially produced are fair game, to excuse the pun. I would count the GC and Xbox as retro, considering there have been no releases for four years or so. Four years in gaming is an aeon.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:46 am

Cheers for all the input guys, it's been a really solid discussion. Expect to see Master Chief on issue 81...

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:52 am

Liamh1982 wrote:I think any consoles where games are no longer being commercially produced are fair game, to excuse the pun. I would count the GC and Xbox as retro, considering there have been no releases for four years or so. Four years in gaming is an aeon.
Not trying to be perdantic (or keep this thread going any longer than necessary) but the original Xbox was only really dropped like a hot coal in this country. In the US, it lived much longer with the last release being some EA sports game (possibly NFL or Madden) in 2008.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:13 am

Its too soon for Xbox/PS2/GCube in my opinion, a few years down the line yes, but now...no.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:22 am

of course, we could just judge the article when it appears rather than in advance - even though I'm in the 'no' camp - if an early xbox/gba/ps2 classic or lesser known title was the subject, then maybe....

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:25 pm

While were on the subject of new ideas for the mag. Could we please see more coverage on the pc engine and its add ons. It really was a special machine. I dunno maybe just pluck a game at random and review it. And maybe games from other systems too. But engine first please, engine first.

Call the feature "memory lane" or something like that. And state in the review how the game measures up by todays standards etc etc.

Eat your nans pants

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:52 am

Okay the first article has been written. Feedback for issue 81 is going to be interesting...

Sherringford Hovis

Post by Sherringford Hovis » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:19 am

It's an interesting question for me.

If you had asked me a year ago what a retro games machine was I would have mentioned the Speccy and the Amiga with enthusiastic hand gestures and everything. Now, I am really not so sure. I mean, how many times can we say that the Spectrum was awesome? Or that the C64 had some great music? Or the Amstrad was under appreciated?

Well, lots, and rightly so.

But it occurred to me recently that we would be depriving ourselves of some great articles and interesting insights into the "newer" machines just because of some arbitory labelling of "retro" and "not retro", machines that are dead in the water now but just seem to recent to be counted as retro. However, when I first started to read Retrogamer the PS2 has not been long dead but it's a good 6 or 7 years or so since I first bought one... quite a long time so perhaps it is retro now.

But all that doesn't matter one jot really. We can't get to caught up in this "what is retro" stuff. I for one would be really interested in an article on the gamecube for example. A machine that simply didn't hit the mark for several reasons and disappeared all to soon. Why? What where the circumstances surrounding it's release and the market conditions? Could make an interesting article. Since we are talking about games though, would be great to take a look at some of the critically acclaimed titles that never quite performed as well as expected. Ico is a classic to all of us but why didn't it sell bucket loads (yeah, it sold, just not spectacularly well if memory serves)? Love to see a feature on that. How about some of the games that slipped in under the radar and surprised the hell out of us? Although I have probably owned all the major consoles over recent years, I missed out on a lot of great games that I can no longer purchase without the horrors of over-priced ebay stuff. It would be great to have someone else do the research for me, a magazine say, and not be restricted to a very specific time frame. Old yes... but it's all relative.

So I am cautiously optimistic about this article with the emphasis on cautious. I could end up foaming at the mouth if games from two or three weeks ago appear but I would be very interested in some GBA games (a console that largely passed me by) and perhaps some PS2 games that got swamped in the billions of releases for the system and where unjustly overlooked.

We are all games players, first and foremost. We just happen to like older games. To me a game that came out 7 years ago is just as valid as one that came out 20 years ago.

This is, of course, just spectacularly ill informed opinion and can safely be ignored if you wish. Which is fast becoming my trademark.
I think therefore I'm right!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:23 am

A Game Boy Advance game next issue? Huzzah!

I'm guessing/hoping it'll be Astro Boy, or Ninja Five-O, or Metroid Fusion. One of those.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:35 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:A Game Boy Advance game next issue? Huzzah!

I'm guessing/hoping it'll be Astro Boy, or Ninja Five-O, or Metroid Fusion. One of those.
freaky - only ever played 2 GBA games - and Fusion and Astroboy are they (though found astroboy very hard)

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:08 am

Luckily Darran, i love the master chief.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:19 am

Someone's come close to naming the game. The retro argument is irreverent anyway. I'm still maintaing that we stick to the 10 year gap as it's served quite well in the past. This article is all about current games that we can still imagine returning to in a decades time. That means there's potential for titles like Omani godhand castlevania circle of the moon pn03 metroid fusion knights of the old republic panzer dragoon orta shadow of the colossus, but not halo, geArs, fable or anything else that is pretty much redundant in a year.

That ought to stir the pot a bit ;)

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:24 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Someone's come close to naming the game. The retro argument is irreverent anyway. I'm still maintaing that we stick to the 10 year gap as it's served quite well in the past. This article is all about current games that we can still imagine returning to in a decades time. That means there's potential for titles like Omani godhand castlevania circle of the moon pn03 metroid fusion knights of the old republic panzer dragoon orta shadow of the colossus, but not halo, geArs, fable or anything else that is pretty much redundant in a year.

That ought to stir the pot a bit ;)
BUT... me and a large group of friends have 8-16 player lan tournaments eveery other month for Halo Combat Evolved and Halo 2... for some people they're forgotten after their next release, but we personally believe the originals are best