What was your most disappointing console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:24 pm

In all honesty, i was most disapointed by the SNES.

I borrowed my mates back when i was at school, and I just found myself underwhelmed by the thing.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:03 pm

learnedrobb wrote:In all honesty, i was most disapointed by the SNES.

I borrowed my mates back when i was at school, and I just found myself underwhelmed by the thing.
Disagree. But compare the SNES to the Virtual Boy?

MonkeyPete

Re:

Post by MonkeyPete » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:15 am

Nebagram wrote:I was one of those suckers who got a 32X, so my answer would be the 32X.
I've been racking my brains trying to come up with a defence for the 32X but the best I can come up with is Knuckles' Chaotix.

I liked it anyway... :oops:

broton

Re:

Post by broton » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:50 am

felgekarp wrote:It's either the Sega Saturn or the X-Box.

Bought the Saturn of a mate for 50 quid with Night's, Sega Rally, Daytona USA, Virtua Racing, Panzer Dragoon, Euro 96 and Virtua Fighter 2, played on it once and it's been in it's box ever since.

Bought the X-Box from a guy at work for 60 quid with a few games most of which I have no intention of playing, I think the only redeeming factor are the retro compilations it's got, Capcom Classics, Taito Legends etc.
If you bought the X-Box with no intention of playing those games and only playing retro compilations, why is it disappointing?

kiniki

Post by kiniki » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:49 am

I would have to say that the PS1 & PS2 were dissapointing for me...

I don't think its particularly the console itself.. Just that the roster of games for both (whilst huge and there are loads I should have played but didn't) never interested me.

I always liked Nintendo's & Sega's games. So when I got the PS1 & 2 I really missed the charm of the games.

Again I haven't played every playstation game.. But something about all the ones i did play just felt cheap to me.

Even my little PSP which I love, still doesn't make me feel as warm as playing my DS...

It's something I can't explain well but there is a warmth to Nintendo/Sega consoles that the others just don't have.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:22 pm

Hopefully the Turd that is my PS1 will be gone. YAY!!!!

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:46 pm

Saturn
Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

CrookedMouth

Re:

Post by CrookedMouth » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:22 pm

MonkeyPete wrote:
Nebagram wrote:I was one of those suckers who got a 32X, so my answer would be the 32X.
I've been racking my brains trying to come up with a defence for the 32X but the best I can come up with is Knuckles' Chaotix.

I liked it anyway... :oops:
I bought a 32x brandnew and it came packaged with doom and the sale included 1 free game. I chose virtua racer. all for $39.99. I thought it was great. Virtua Racer was worth it alone, just to hear the guy say "fastest lap" you gotta hear it to understand what i mean.would an expansion module be considered a true console anyway?

my worse console i'm afraid is the Saturn. not to say i didn't enjoy the hell out of it. there was a game called hylide or something that was great fun, it was a 3rd person action rpg. plus it had the best sports games. I'ts just that my other consoles were atari2600,intellivision, sega genesis,turbographix16,and PS1.

I think I just wasn't the right gamer for the Saturn.

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:49 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:SNES because the price of cartridges was ridiculously high
When Street Fighter II first came out on the SNES, it was priced £64.99 at all stores. It was indeed way too expensive and I wouldn't spent a lot on one cartridge.

Eleven

Post by Eleven » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:32 pm

The PSP. I bought one and a DS within about a week of each other, and a half-dozen games for each. Even the more nobby DS games were a bit of a laugh, but I spent more time watching loading screens on the PSP -- hang your head in shame, WWE Raw vs. Smackdown -- and being put off by the shitty graphics on most games. Ridge Racer and Lumines were fun and pretty, but jaggedy low-res textures somehow look so much better on the DS, are done with more flair and understanding. Mario Kart being a fine case in point.

felgekarp

Re:

Post by felgekarp » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:13 pm

broton wrote:
felgekarp wrote:It's either the Sega Saturn or the X-Box.

Bought the Saturn of a mate for 50 quid with Night's, Sega Rally, Daytona USA, Virtua Racing, Panzer Dragoon, Euro 96 and Virtua Fighter 2, played on it once and it's been in it's box ever since.

Bought the X-Box from a guy at work for 60 quid with a few games most of which I have no intention of playing, I think the only redeeming factor are the retro compilations it's got, Capcom Classics, Taito Legends etc.
If you bought the X-Box with no intention of playing those games and only playing retro compilations, why is it disappointing?
It's not that I had no intention of playing the games to start with, it's just that's what it came with, I was disapointed to find that the majority of the games on the X-Box where FPS's, not that I dislike them, but where are the scrolling shoot 'em up games like you get in the arcades, only it seems on the retro compilations. Hence in my eyes, they are it's redeeming factors.

Re:

Post by * » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:17 pm

muse hunter wrote:Disagree about the ps2, the jap ps2 is as good as the jap saturn when it comes to quality old school games, the ps2 kicks ass when it comes to traditional shooters and 2D fighters
Agreed. I treated myself to a PS2 Slimline a couple of days back, and after about 3 days of R Type Final, Gradius V, Outrun 2006, and Taito Legends 2 (not to mention the pleasantly reduced load times on my PS1 games), I am massively impressed with this system and kicking myself for sticking with the Gamecube (the only Cube games that still hold my attention are F-Zero GX and Ikaruga. I'm considering trading the rest of my collection in because I just can't muster the willpower to play the sodding things for more than a couple of minutes at a time)...
So I suppose that in a roundabout sort of way that means that my most disappointing console is the Gamecube. :lol:
Nice controller though.
thl wrote:

Erm... On what grounds do you disagree that he was underwhelmed by the SNES? And why should we compare the SNES to the Virtual Boy? :?

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:56 am

It's between threee ......

The Commodore C64GS - why did I ever buy one of these, purely the hype made me purchase this unsupported piece of junk!

The Nintendo DS - not exactly retro, but I was expecting a bit better than a GBA with a touch screen (cos basically that's what it is!)

The Sony Playstation 2 (PS2) - yet again, not exactly retro, but great games, great graphics, great sound, great cosmetic looks all let down with ....... f :evil: :evil: :evil: ing s :evil: :evil: t reliability (those DVD/CD-ROM drives keep f :evil: :evil: :evil: ing screwing up)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:23 pm

I didn't buy either,but the Commodore and Amstrad consoles have to have
disappointed anyone who purchased them,simply for the fact that they were so poorly supported by software houses
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:36 pm

* wrote:
thl wrote:

Erm... On what grounds do you disagree that he was underwhelmed by the SNES? And why should we compare the SNES to the Virtual Boy? :?
The Virtual Boy was so terrible that it didn't quite delivered at its very best. What's the point wearing that goggle? The colour is in black and white!!

The SNES deserved to be a global success. Lots of top quality titles that are unmissable.