What was your most disappointing console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:07 am

Good dit in this months RG about the released virtual boy being the worst of the bunch of possible designs but was used as a "corporate favour".

Damn office politics!!!!!!!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

roberthazelby

Re:

Post by roberthazelby » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:43 am

Sabreman wrote:The N64. I really don't like it. Mario 64, F-Zero X and Ocarina of Time blew me away through sheer quality of vision and creativity but everything else on it was a horrible blurry garish mess. I felt that Nintendo tried to do too much with a limited technology (cutting severe corners in terms of resolution and texture capabilities) and a medium far too limited for the kind of games that were being made on it. Everything felt like it had been compromised in some way. In the end I just got sick of seeing fuzzy games with ugly colour schemes.

Also, the pad - which many people worship - was a right wonky effort. If you held it the way it's 'supposed' to be held you render a whole third of it essentially redundant (the D-pad and left shoulder button). Why on earth it had that three-pronged design I'll never understand.

I have no love for the N64.
I couldn't have put it better myself!

I loved Mario 64, Zelda, and Banjo Kazooie, but the system just wasn't powerful enough to do run the games that we're being shoved on it. The graphics were terrible even for their time. Instead of the crisp textures we got on the Saturn and PS1 we were 'treated' to a horrible out of focus mess.

The game prices were also stupidly high compared to the Saturn and PS1, and certainly not worth the extra dosh.

I did buy a CD64 to experience more titles without having to fork out lots of money, but found myself constantly returning to my Saturn and SNES.
Xbox Live: roberthazelby | The Retro Ranch | The Retro Ranch Blog

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:55 am

GameCube. It's a great console with some great games, but they're ALL SO EXPENSIVE.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Ritchardo mkII

Post by Ritchardo mkII » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:30 pm

GX4000.

They said it was going to be a 16-bit console system that would stick it to Sega, Atari and Nintendo.

They lied...

With some more support and a better cart producing plant, they just might have pulled it off too...

ended up a victim of lazy porting.

They only person I ever saw play one was Martin Fowler on Eastenders... kind of says it all really...
Am I Not online? Try: www.cpczone.net

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:34 pm

Ritchardo mkII wrote:GX4000.

They said it was going to be a 16-bit console system that would stick it to Sega, Atari and Nintendo.

They lied...

You didn't see the big hint on the box? ITS AN AMSTRAD!

Opa-Opa

Re:

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:17 pm

SirClive wrote:

They lied...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You got to feel sorry for the poor fools who belived that by sticking a CPC inside a Cylon fighter shaped plastic case it would become an amazing Nintendo / Sega beater :lol: :lol:

Magic Knight

Post by Magic Knight » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:36 pm

It would have to be the GBA for me. I was expecting gaming heaven but the screen made it virtually unplayable in anything other than perfect lighting.

If I had bought a 360 tho that would win hands down. I honestly think they rushed it out to get a head start on Sony. Almost 12 months down the line and the number of decent games available is shocking.

thl

Post by thl » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:18 pm

The Gameboy particurlarly had been re-modelled so many times. You're likely to change your mind on the current design. :?

thl

Post by thl » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:23 pm

The Game Gear for me was quite a decent handheld console, except it's too big to get a grip on and took so much AA batteries. :(

Ritchardo mkII

Re:

Post by Ritchardo mkII » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:04 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:
SirClive wrote:

They lied...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You got to feel sorry for the poor fools who belived that by sticking a CPC inside a Cylon fighter shaped plastic case it would become an amazing Nintendo / Sega beater :lol: :lol:
Pah! We would've gotten away with it too if it wasn't for that pesky hedgehog!
Am I Not online? Try: www.cpczone.net

roberthazelby

Re:

Post by roberthazelby » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:27 pm

pottyboy wrote:Mine has to be the Game Gear. Got it for christmas 1984 with Sonic 2 and a Game Genie.
1984?!

Blimey! ;)

Moving back on topic, and I see that there have been a number of mentions for the 360, and for me this is a weird one.

If it was for the number of boxed titles that were worth getting I would possibly have this included on my list, but because of the whole Live Arcade 'thing' I'm having at least as much fun with this machine as any of the last generation of machines.
Xbox Live: roberthazelby | The Retro Ranch | The Retro Ranch Blog

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:35 am

Game Gear and Sonic didn't exist then

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:39 am

Duh!! :wink:
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Nebagram

Post by Nebagram » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:33 am

I was one of those suckers who got a 32X, so my answer would be the 32X.

muse hunter

Re:

Post by muse hunter » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 pm

revgiblet wrote:GameCube. It's a great console with some great games, but they're ALL SO EXPENSIVE.
are you trying to say that the neo geo is sh!t?