What was your most disappointing console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

martin_lovick

Post by martin_lovick » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:06 pm

atari lynx 2, no decent games support :( a shame as it had a reasonable spec (for the time), also by that point gameboy was ruling the roost

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:34 pm

Sabreman wrote:The N64. I really don't like it. Mario 64, F-Zero X and Ocarina of Time blew me away through sheer quality of vision and creativity but everything else on it was a horrible blurry garish mess. I felt that Nintendo tried to do too much with a limited technology (cutting severe corners in terms of resolution and texture capabilities) and a medium far too limited for the kind of games that were being made on it. Everything felt like it had been compromised in some way. In the end I just got sick of seeing fuzzy games with ugly colour schemes.

Also, the pad - which many people worship - was a right wonky effort. If you held it the way it's 'supposed' to be held you render a whole third of it essentially redundant (the D-pad and left shoulder button). Why on earth it had that three-pronged design I'll never understand.

I have no love for the N64.

I agree with the fuzzy graphics-have you played Orcarina on GC ? It's
like playing it properly for the first time!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Jazzem

Re:

Post by Jazzem » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:59 pm

Sabreman wrote:Also, the pad - which many people worship - was a right wonky effort. If you held it the way it's 'supposed' to be held you render a whole third of it essentially redundant (the D-pad and left shoulder button). Why on earth it had that three-pronged design I'll never understand.
The whole idea behind it was so it would switch to the dpad+L button combination for games that used the dpad, and as far as I know the Z button was used to make up for the redundant L button when using the analogue stick. It is all quite clumsy and overwhelming, but it's clever in that respect, making it a pad designed for both 2D and 3D games. Just a shame the system recieved so few games of the former dimension.

Utini

Post by Utini » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:38 pm

GBA - that screen was a complete and utter nightmare.
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

MrCrusher

Post by MrCrusher » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:40 pm

I would have to say the Jaguar- so much promise and potential went to waste. I mean, there's probably more interest and activity now that it's "dead" than when it was alive.

The technology was capable of so much more, the peripherals and expansion options at the time were way underused (those that got a release). What about the planned VR headset and modem, the link up play,etc.

The games I thought, were previews of what was to come in future. AvP- poss the first game to introduce real tension as a deliberate plot device, BIWN- although not complete, the precursor to GTA3 perhaps.

A system killed off before reaching it's prime, possibly a victim of it's own hype or more likely, the lack of support by the developers believing the Sony and Sega hype.

Could have done with a few more units in the shops for people to buy as well- again, a vision of what was to come with all future consoles.
Love

MrCrusher

preownedgames.co.uk

Post by preownedgames.co.uk » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:01 pm

Strangely enought it was the SNES when it came out. I played starwing and decided to sell it to buy a megadrive.

Hey, I was 12 years old. And an idiot.
Preowned Games - Buy games that other people are bored with.

Utini

Re:

Post by Utini » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:02 pm

preownedgames.co.uk wrote:Strangely enought it was the SNES when it came out. I played starwing and decided to sell it to buy a megadrive.

Hey, I was 12 years old. And an idiot.
Well... the Megadrive was a fine machine :)
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:55 am

Sega Saturn. Got one last year and was a little underwhelmed.

muse hunter

Post by muse hunter » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:50 am

There is too much blasphemy on this forum, xbox, neogeo pocket, saturn, dreamcast, n64, GBA (although i do agree about the original model's poor screen, but the games were golden), and goddamn it someone actually mentioned the ...the...the SNES! (*breathe in, breathe out*) Do you poeple actually like videogames?

My nomination goes for the ngage, was a decent idea, which eneded up being extremely sh!t, both a horrible design and a horrible selection of games (tomvb raider was okayish though), all for a £200+ price, i think i'll stick with my GBA thanks

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:33 am

There was this one time a few years ago when I bought an Atari 2600. Granted, I didn't get any good games with that deal but I had to get rid of it as soon as I could. I hate the majority of that system's library and I hate it's joysticks.

I got rid of it and bought ''Activision Anthology'' for my Playstation 2 instead. I belive I did the right thing.

I don't agree with what was said of Nintendo 64 and SNES. I believe myself that they were the best consoles of their generations.

I would've been very disappointed if I got:

-GBA SP. Front lit screen washing out colours in most models and headphone jack only accessible via inconvenient attachment? Ouch.

-Sega Mega Drive. Actually I appreciate this console's library a lot more now than I did when I was a kid when I thought ''mega drive - sonic = crap''. Yeah I definitely would've been an unhappy kid if I got this. Plus, shops would sooner put FIFA on the shelves than Ristar or Gunstar Heroes.

-The 32x and mega cd attachments. I would've been furious if I paid full whack on these before knowing what really became of them.

-Sega Saturn. Again I appreciate this more now but at the time I was loving the N64's 3D games. No real new Sonic platformers either.

-Game Boy Micro. I have a DS Lite and a Game Boy Player. I guess I don't fit the description of that image conscious niche market they had in mind when they brought this out.

-Sega Game Gear. Very heavy, poor battery efficiency and again, only really good for sonic.

-Xbox. I don't play online games. Nothing else warrants buying this over the competition for me.

-Xbox 360. A part of me still believes this thing came out too early. I would've been disappointed if I got this at launch.

Other consoles I have been disappointed by:
Playstation and Playstation2. Some good games but loading times suck. Plus it's hard to find said good games when the gamestore shelves are overflowing with playstation diarrhea. Getting a playstation was definitely a huge step down but I felt the need to broaden my horizons.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:55 am

N64 - As mentioned, great games but no RGB support??? WHAT???????!!!!

Jaguar - Initially disapointing but after I'd collected a few decent games, not a bad console.

Game Gear - Fuzzy Fuzzy totally inadequate screen - only console where emulation is better than the real deal.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:49 am

The MegaDrive was a fine machine and I loved it, some great titles and lots of hours of fun were spent on my machine. The 32x came out with a very sexy looking version of star wars and an updated version of virtua racing which had impressed me no end on the megadrive.
but that was it pretty much then sega canned it, the Mega CD was the same a few interesting titles then its binned by Sega.
I bought a saturn on release with a bundle of games, the playstation come out not long after and I bought one of those too , Sega saw the psx was good and canned the Saturn, then did it again with the dreamcast in the battle of PS2.
I wouldnt dream of buying another Sega so its good they have sacked off making consoles for a living.
Retro when it wasnt cool

thl

Post by thl » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:55 am

I'd say the Atari Jaguar because the console itselfs doesn't felt like a 64MB machine at all. It's very much near 24-32MB. :?

Also why did the manufacturers made the controller so big? :?
It's so difficult to handle and it's uncomfortable.
Last edited by thl on Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:57 am

thl wrote:I'd say the Atari Jaguar because the console itselfs doesn't felt like a 64MB machine at all. It's very much near 24-32MB. :?
Because of the complicated hardware set-up, it has always been under question whether the Jag really is a true 64 bit machine (before an argument follows, i don't care one way or the other).

I do think that it had some pretty good games though whether it was 128bit or 1bit!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

thl

Post by thl » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:04 am

Don't forget the Virtual Boy. It's possible that your eyes could get strain while wearing that goggle all the time. And most of all the screen are in black & white. :shock:
Last edited by thl on Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.