What was your most disappointing console?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Shin_Gouki

What was your most disappointing console?

Post by Shin_Gouki » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:25 am

We've all been let down by various games, but looking back, which console disappointed you the most - whether it be performance wise, lack of support or over-hype?

For me it was the GBA. I expected a portable SNES... boy was I off the mark. Don't get me wrong, there are many great releases on the GBA but I also thought a fair few SNES faves would also be released... :cry:
真・豪鬼

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:34 am

It's the Master System for me

I remember it being hyped up in C+VG at the time.This was going to be a machine with arcade quality games.I was seriously underwhelmed

Having said that , I don't consider it to be a bad machine (although the NES was far better) It was just the most disappointing
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mr. Pointless

Post by Mr. Pointless » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:44 am

The N64. Great console. Stupid game prices. Plus the TV cable on mine died. :?
Amiga: "Insert Disk 7"
User: "When I work out how to magically pull that out of my **** I will, because it's not in the box."

Xbox 360: Mr Pointless | PSN: Mr_Pointless | Steam: Mr Pointless

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:45 am

every console released by sega after the Mega drive , I bought them all and got shafted every time.
the master system and the megadrive were fantastic in their day, although they had mighty competition in the form of the NES or Snes console wise.
in those times I was still in love with my C64 and amiga though then and still love them both more than the consoles of the day.
Retro when it wasnt cool

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:49 am

Sega Saturn. I bought it for Sega Rally, and I was really disappointed with it. The only games I really enjoyed were SFA2,Virtua Fighter 2 and Athlete Kings.

Most of the games weren't up to scratch.

And I hated Nights.

Sureshot

Re:

Post by Sureshot » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:13 am

The Last Ginja wrote:Sega Saturn. I bought it for Sega Rally, and I was really disappointed with it. The only games I really enjoyed were SFA2,Virtua Fighter 2 and Athlete Kings.

Most of the games weren't up to scratch.

And I hated Nights.
Blasphemy!

Mine probably has to be the Neo Geo Pocket. Came with so much promise that I encouraged the boss in my old games shop job to get a bunch in with a load of titles on a nice big display thingy. Luckily when it flopped, the wholesalers were taking stock back at the same price (or at least very similar), so I didn't get fired :twisted: Not that I probably would have anyway.

Jazzem

Re: What was your most disappointing console?

Post by Jazzem » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:14 am

Shin_Gouki wrote:For me it was the GBA. I expected a portable SNES... boy was I off the mark. Don't get me wrong, there are many great releases on the GBA but I also thought a fair few SNES faves would also be released... :cry:
Really? There were the best of both worlds, SNES ports (Although they did miss out on a few) and new original games, some of which wouldn't have looked out of place on a SNES anyway. I'm glad they didn't re-release too many, we don't want the SNES becoming redundant with all of it's games re-released.

Oh, and I can't think of a console I've been terribly disappointed with, perhaps the utterly bizarre 'Pokémon Mini'. It was lovely in many ways, very tiny and portable, had a great battery life, the games were good fun, but there weren't enough of them! After the initial four, Nintendo forgot the dinky little thing existed (Although I think Japan had several more games for it).

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:28 am

SNES. Because the price of cartridges was ridiculously high, so I ended up with about 3 games for it and kept playing Atari ST instead.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Shin_Gouki

Re: What was your most disappointing console?

Post by Shin_Gouki » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:48 am

Jazzem wrote:
Shin_Gouki wrote:For me it was the GBA. I expected a portable SNES... boy was I off the mark. Don't get me wrong, there are many great releases on the GBA but I also thought a fair few SNES faves would also be released... :cry:
Really? There were the best of both worlds, SNES ports (Although they did miss out on a few) and new original games, some of which wouldn't have looked out of place on a SNES anyway. I'm glad they didn't re-release too many, we don't want the SNES becoming redundant with all of it's games re-released.
True, I suppose my retro roots were showing even back then, but I just wasn't impressed with the new releases either. :?
真・豪鬼

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:23 am

A mate of mine was the first in our group to graduate from a Spectrum by buying a SEGA MASTER SYSTEM (mainly to play Out Run). I thought the Master System and Out Run and were a bit crap.

Later, after he bought loads more crappy arcade ports, he got Fantasy Zone. I was impressed with that.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:55 am

It's either the Sega Saturn or the X-Box.

Bought the Saturn of a mate for 50 quid with Night's, Sega Rally, Daytona USA, Virtua Racing, Panzer Dragoon, Euro 96 and Virtua Fighter 2, played on it once and it's been in it's box ever since.

Bought the X-Box from a guy at work for 60 quid with a few games most of which I have no intention of playing, I think the only redeeming factor are the retro compilations it's got, Capcom Classics, Taito Legends etc.

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:50 am

The Sega Mega-CD (okay it's an add on so I cheated a bit.)

I was disappointed mainly due to the fact that there was so much potential that was never fully realised, adding to that, the ridiculous price and delay on a UK release. Although there were some obviously stonking games available on it, Dragon's Lair, The Terminator and Ground Zero Texas to name but a few, it never really got off the ground which was a big disappointment for me.

And I remember reading an article in a mag once about Street Fighter 2 being one of the first games to be released on it.... :roll:

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:43 pm

The N64. I really don't like it. Mario 64, F-Zero X and Ocarina of Time blew me away through sheer quality of vision and creativity but everything else on it was a horrible blurry garish mess. I felt that Nintendo tried to do too much with a limited technology (cutting severe corners in terms of resolution and texture capabilities) and a medium far too limited for the kind of games that were being made on it. Everything felt like it had been compromised in some way. In the end I just got sick of seeing fuzzy games with ugly colour schemes.

Also, the pad - which many people worship - was a right wonky effort. If you held it the way it's 'supposed' to be held you render a whole third of it essentially redundant (the D-pad and left shoulder button). Why on earth it had that three-pronged design I'll never understand.

I have no love for the N64.

devilman

Post by devilman » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:45 pm

3DO or CD-I. I've not enjoyed a game on either.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:56 pm

Mine has to be the Game Gear. Got it for christmas 1984 with Sonic 2 and a Game Genie. The game didn't play anything like (or even as good as) the Mega drive one. I could never find the TV adapter, and the stupidly short battery life ruined it too. Also, I found it very hard to stick with my Game Gear games after playing Tetris, Road Rash, Star Wars and Ren & Stimpy: Veediots! (I was, and still am, a fan of the show) on many of my friends' game boys.

In the end I sold it after two years. What a tragic waste :cry:

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood