Do you care about packaging?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Mask Seller

Re: Do you care about packaging?

Post by The Mask Seller » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:08 pm

I like my stuff to be complete and in mint condition if possible, I'm a bit OCD* and like things to be 'nice'. However, I only collect for PSone era onwards so it's quite easy to pick up games in this condition without bankrupting myself. Also, I'm not a serious collector, I just have the thirty or so games I want for each system, it'd be way too expensive to maintain my standards if I took collecting seriously.

* I once had to trade in a PSP at a loss because it had one stuck pixel I couldn't repair.
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:28 pm

Yep im like that too. Complete and minty.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 pm

For me it depends entirely on the system: SNES cart only, GC complete, Atari 2600....anyhow it comes, GB/GBC/GBA anyhow it comes, NGPC complete.

I mean i have Pocket Reversi as a cart, but don't consider it part of my collection....i'm a bit strange like that because if i apply that logic to the SNES, i don't have any games at all :roll: :lol:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:35 pm

With consoles / games I mostly buy NTSC-J and I like everything to be boxed and complete, mainly because I like the manual / packaging artwork. Although im not anal about condition, as long as the packaging / manual is good condition then im happy.

I now avoid buying stuff in mint condition. As I'm a gamer and not a collector (although I do have a gaming collection, if you know what i mean), I find it difficult to keep the packaging in mint condition no matter how careful I am, esp Nintendo's cardboard boxes, only the other day I was playing Conkers BFD on N64 and I stood on the box which was in pristine condition and now its all squished.

When It comes to arcade games I don't care about complete kits but sometimes I pick up some of the paperwork, move lists, sickers etc again if like the artwork, plus I like to keep all my MVS games in shock boxes with custom inserts, I just wish there was someting similar for CPS2 games.
My trade/sale thread (Includes my feedback)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=23510

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:35 pm

Playing the game>looking at its box
Ohh such pretty/terrible pictures

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:10 pm

I have to have all my games complete. It really annoys me when you pick up a rare PS2 game for instance and the second CD holder containing a soundtrack or bonus disc is completely missing. How do people 'accidentally' rip those out and lose them? How?

As for consoles themselves, I really don't care about the boxes - take up a lot of room.

There's always the added bonus too that if you ever needed to sell your games for an emergency then you'll raise a lot more if you've collected them in good/complete nick.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:14 pm

^ That's pretty much how I see it. Years ago when I traded in a load of Saturn games at Gamestation, the guy serving me was gobsmacked with how pristine my games were. What he didn't notice was the small Sonic sticker I had put on the bottom corner of the Sonic Jam case - I did however notice it when I saw they decided to sell a few of my games as 'new'.

Uaithne

Post by Uaithne » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:55 pm

If it's a game I want for my collection (eg, Doom etc), I want it with case, book, extras etc etc etc.

However, if it's a game I want to play, then I don't really care. I'd be happy to have two copies of some games - one cart only (even with dodgy/missing labels) to play; and one complete etc for the (eventual) display case.

At the same time though, if I'm buying games for Master System, Mega Drive, Saturn, PlayStation (1-3), XBOX etc (really anything that originally came in a plastic case), I'd prefer to pay the extra bucks for everything rather than just a cart/disc.

Bought a complete, near mint ZELDA: A LINK TO THE PAST a couple of weeks back - Cost me a packet (about AUD$90), but it's one that I always wanted.
"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be a child forever" -Marcus Tullius Cicero, 46BC

Wants List | Items for Sale

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:01 pm

DPrinny wrote:Playing the game>looking at its box
Might as well pirate it then.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:12 pm

speedlolita wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Playing the game>looking at its box
Might as well pirate it then.
Nar as then I wont have anything of a hand held size to caress.
Stroking a harddrive just isn't the same
(But stroking a manual will probably get you a paper cut)

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:38 am

When I first started collecting I wasnt too concerned about packaging. However over time I have replaced most of my loose items for boxed ones. If your after rare stuff buy a loose cart/cd then hunt for the box on ebay, this is always much cheaper.
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:51 am

Neilos626 wrote:When I first started collecting I wasnt too concerned about packaging. However over time I have replaced most of my loose items for boxed ones. If your after rare stuff buy a loose cart/cd then hunt for the box on ebay, this is always much cheaper.
Very good idea, something I've done in the past. It's mostly manuals on ebay...or even buy a good box with sh!tty cart and then a loose great cart. Then sell the sh!tty cart on.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:01 pm

i assume the jap cd games fans like the spines with their games :)

GazHazSkills

Post by GazHazSkills » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:22 pm

I'm really bad. I have to have my retro games in mint condition. In the past i had to buy a new box for games (earthbound) because the one i had wasn't nice enough for me. Also as i have a neo geo aes all my games i buy have to be perfect, i have lost count of how many times I ask ebay sellers a million questions. But this is not only on old games, I won't buy a game from a store unless the plastic wrapping is still on because I know for a fact Game has sold me a Ds as new - but it wasn't and had pictures of a person and their family on the hard drive. They had simply put their own sticker over the corners of the pre-owned box and sold it knowing it wasn't new.

the_retro_bear

Post by the_retro_bear » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:25 pm

Loose carts are ok with me - as long as it doesn't look like someone has been mixing beef dripping with it. I collect cos I like games so a lot of my carts are loose, though I have a fair few in boxes.

Bringing Past To Present at http://www.retrosection.com

On YouTube - watch my lame gamesplaying at : http://www.youtube.com/TheRetroBear