Do you care about packaging?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rolan

Do you care about packaging?

Post by rolan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:24 am

Personnally I just find it annoying paying extra on second hand stuff that has a box... and prefer loose carts/cds as its cheaper.... as an example I got shining force 3 for 20 quid without a box as all the collectors were busy bidding on complete versions for £100+ :lol:

But yeah.. just interested as I keep any packaging I get in good condition (even if it is annoying lol) as I feel I kind of have to...

TyronW

Re: Do you care about packaging?

Post by TyronW » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:43 am

It all depends really, if you collect Shining Force games go for the box. If you like SF games but dont mind having it loose, go for the cheaper option.

I'm a huge RE fan, so when I paid £47 for Gaiden last week it was justified - in that I collect any RE games.

Tbh £47 is the most I've ever spent on a game...and hopefully it's the most I'll ever spend on a game.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:03 am

TyronW wrote:It all depends really, if you collect Shining Force games go for the box. If you like SF games but dont mind having it loose, go for the cheaper option.

I'm a huge RE fan, so when I paid £47 for Gaiden last week it was justified - in that I collect any RE games.

Tbh £47 is the most I've ever spent on a game...and hopefully it's the most I'll ever spend on a game.
Wow that's a lot for a boxed gamboy cart , 2 yrs ago I paid 4 euros cart only in a german retro fair.

vorhees

Post by vorhees » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:15 am

If I have the packaging I'll look after it but am never bothered about owning it when buying, loose carts are fine for me - each to their own though and I will admit boxed collections look much nicer than a row of grey carts

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:29 am

For all cart stuff - except Mega Drive I don't care if it's cart only.

For CD games, I want everything obviously. When buying consoles I don't care about boxes either.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:30 am

resident paul wrote:
TyronW wrote:It all depends really, if you collect Shining Force games go for the box. If you like SF games but dont mind having it loose, go for the cheaper option.

Wow that's a lot for a boxed gamboy cart , 2 yrs ago I paid 4 euros cart only in a german retro fair.

Well like I said, I'm a RE nut :D

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:39 am

For my Nintendo stuff it has to be boxed and complete as has always been that way since I had my NES.

For my Sega stuff I wasn't really fussed as only been picking up stuff for about the past year but now i'm slowly swaying to at least boxed stuff with how easy it is to pick up a lot of Sega stuff.

New consoles it's always boxed and complete stuff.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:57 am

Collectors look away now... :twisted:

Any games I've got that had big cardboard boxes (hello Amiga), i flatpacked and binned the boxes, kept the floppy discs in shoeboxes, CDs on a spindle and manuals in plastic pockets in a ringbinder.

I don't have very much room!

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:58 am

Yes and no...

I like my games to be complete (I'm VERY picky when it comes to extras. If a game is supposed to have a soundtrack or something then I want it included with the game) but I also like to root through the clearance sections of my local game. I've found Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Dark Cloud, Hack//Infection & more that way :D

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:16 am

Rayne wrote:Yes and no...

I like my games to be complete (I'm VERY picky when it comes to extras. If a game is supposed to have a soundtrack or something then I want it included with the game) but I also like to root through the clearance sections of my local game. I've found Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Dark Cloud, Hack//Infection & more that way :D

Thats the only way I shop ;) Nothing better than handing over a pound coin for something you've wanted for absolute yonks.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:31 am

TyronW wrote:
resident paul wrote:

Well like I said, I'm a RE nut :D
I'm going down that slippery slope as well as I bagged bio.hazard 1 & 2 complete for PS1 in a german retro fair this year for 15 euros. :D

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:36 am

resident paul wrote: I'm going down that slippery slope as well as I bagged bio.hazard 1 & 2 complete for PS1 in a german retro fair this year for 15 euros. :D
I've already got RE1, 0 and 4 US gamecube games - the artwork just amazed me how it can vary between regions.

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:51 am

If it comes in a nice hard plastic case (GC, DS, Wii), I only buy it if the box is included. For the NES, SNES, GB and N64 stuff... it's so hard to track down a boxed copy that's not been squashed or torn (and if you can find one, the seller usually wants top dollar) that I just think 'sod it'. I'm quite happy to buy loose carts for those machines.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:52 am

TyronW wrote:
resident paul wrote: I'm going down that slippery slope as well as I bagged bio.hazard 1 & 2 complete for PS1 in a german retro fair this year for 15 euros. :D
I've already got RE1, 0 and 4 US gamecube games - the artwork just amazed me how it can vary between regions.
You right about that the inlay booklet for bio.hazard 1 has kinda comic book/manga style pictures in it.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:44 am

I'd rather have boxes than not, put it that way but it's not important to me.

With the N64 I'll admit there's just something really satisfying about picking up a game with a really mint box after all these years. But I do ask myself why pay extra for just a piece of cardboard though. I only store them away and keep the carts out seperate, so I may even think about giving that up as I want to try and curb this geeky behaviour, don't want to go down that road thankyouverymuch! I think that money could be better spent elsewhere tbh.