Worst Neo Geo Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SushiSunshine2000

Worst Neo Geo Games

Post by SushiSunshine2000 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:16 pm

I've been thinking about getting a Neo Geo CDZ sometime (the one with the faster loading times) once my overtime comes back..

But to get to the point, whenever I hear people talk about the Neo Geo they always talk positively about this console. They're always talking about classics such as King of Fighters, Metal Slug, etc..

So I was wondering are there any really bad Neo Geo games that have disgraced the system? Are there any really bad ones I should avoid when I buy my CDZ?

Or is the Neo Geo just generally THAT good?

Just curious!!

- Sushi
Check out Sushi Sunshine 2000 on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/SushiSunshine2000

Fred83

Re: Worst Neo Geo Games

Post by Fred83 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:51 pm

dont get an cdz,they apparently meant to overheat and die if played long enough due to design flaw in ventilation,pick up the more common toploader model,its a nice machine even its plagued with terrible loading times,personally i think,due to this recession,and if you can stretch your budget a bit further you might be able to pick up an aes instead,and yes it is a great machine and good games,check out videogamecritic reviews of neo games

SushiSunshine2000

Post by SushiSunshine2000 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:59 pm

Fred83 wrote:dont get an cdz,they apparently meant to overheat and die if played long enough due to design flaw in ventilation,pick up the more common toploader model,its a nice machine even its plagued with terrible loading times,personally i think,due to this recession,and if you can stretch your budget a bit further you might be able to pick up an aes instead,and yes it is a great machine and good games,check out videogamecritic reviews of neo games
Thanks for your advice.

The reason why I wanted to buy a CD Based Neo Geo was because the CD games were not only cheaper but also because of the HUGE size of the Neo Geo carts (so small they make MegaDrive/Genesis games look like little babies) I was kinda worried there wouldn't be much shelf space for them.

But DAMN I had no idea about the CDZ's overheating. Maybe I'm better off getting an AES with only some REALLY GOOD games. Maybe the King of Fighters or Metal Slug games would be a good start.

I've downloaded KOF 94 on the Nintendo Wii but I think buying a proper Neo Geo would be better. Plus on the Wii it ran in 50hz.
Check out Sushi Sunshine 2000 on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/SushiSunshine2000

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:04 pm

The cd versions would sometimes have mixed music. Gallerys an odd bonus feature.I like the cd system.Beauty as well you can use the aes sticks on the cd system if you rather not use the small pad.Its worth noting as well if you have a sega saturn,snk released some titles like king of fighters 95-97 on the sega saturn.Which made use of the ram cart to speed up loading times.Kof 95 came with its own rom cart so make sure to get that with it if you wish to purchase it.The later editions can use carts like action replay cart.
Last edited by Fred83 on Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:09 am

I always found Magician Lord to be a bit of a stinker, myself. I probably expected too much from it, but it just seems a bit sloppy and cheap, play wise.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:01 am

Legend of success Joe is one of THE worst games ever

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:52 am

SushiSunshine2000 wrote:
Fred83 wrote:dont get an cdz,they apparently meant to overheat and die if played long enough due to design flaw in ventilation,pick up the more common toploader model,its a nice machine even its plagued with terrible loading times,personally i think,due to this recession,and if you can stretch your budget a bit further you might be able to pick up an aes instead,and yes it is a great machine and good games,check out videogamecritic reviews of neo games
Thanks for your advice.

The reason why I wanted to buy a CD Based Neo Geo was because the CD games were not only cheaper but also because of the HUGE size of the Neo Geo carts (so small they make MegaDrive/Genesis games look like little babies) I was kinda worried there wouldn't be much shelf space for them.

But DAMN I had no idea about the CDZ's overheating. Maybe I'm better off getting an AES with only some REALLY GOOD games. Maybe the King of Fighters or Metal Slug games would be a good start.

I've downloaded KOF 94 on the Nintendo Wii but I think buying a proper Neo Geo would be better. Plus on the Wii it ran in 50hz.
My CDZ never overheated. The ventilation was fine - ironically my originally top loader did, but it was an issue with the step down more than anything. Like any console - don't keep it on the carpet and it's fine. It does load games noticably quicker and looks a bit more flash.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:55 am

Also remember a lot of awesome games never made it to neo CD due to the size - so you can't get any KOF game passed 99 and even then you have loading between each character which really ruins the flow, and you can't get any Metal Slug past 2 or Blazing Star, or Mark of the Wolves, etc.

Check the list on here -http://www.neo-geo.com/

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:25 am

Riding Hero complete pants, a sub Super Hang On Clone, picked it up for £6 complete on the AES. Don't buy it the controls are shoddy, the gameplay is limited, it's just awful - trust me.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:51 pm

sengoku stinks like vomit on fresh turd.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:35 pm

Yeah my CDZ never overheated or had any problems....i would 100% go for a CDZ as the loading is twice as fast, and considering its slow in the first place you will be glad you did!
There's not many BAD games for the Neo Geo, a few average ones and lots of series games, you could always try before you buy via the iso route (no copy protection on the ngcd)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:35 pm

Mootown wrote:My CDZ never overheated. The ventilation was fine - ironically my originally top loader did, but it was an issue with the step down more than anything. Like any console - don't keep it on the carpet and it's fine. It does load games noticably quicker and looks a bit more flash.
Suppose it's one of those things...just like some people's launch 360's not RRODing. Surprising that a console revision is actually worse than it's predecessor durability-wise though :lol:

Anyway, I agree that Magician Lord and Sengoku are pretty crappy games. Also never really rated Burning Fight. One of the poorer Final Fight clones imo.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:41 pm

Some of the earlier games really are terrible. The best route to go is MVS overall - the biggest selection of games at the best prices - but these games aren't as "collectable" as their AES counterparts.

The Neo Geo platform isn't worth buying unless you live 2D fighters and shooters. If you do its the bestest thing ever :)
Nintendo DS games: 41

GazHazSkills

Post by GazHazSkills » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:28 pm

I think the great games outweigh the bad ones by a long way but i am a fighter fan. I like magician lord but perhaps it's a nostalgic thing because anyone else i have shown the game to hates it.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:00 am

Ninja Combat is pretty dire...
SushiSunshine2000 wrote:Maybe I'm better off getting an AES with only some REALLY GOOD games. Maybe the King of Fighters or Metal Slug games would be a good start.
You're gonna need to do a sh!tload of overtime if you want to buy an AES with some Metal Slug games mate! :lol:
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)