Games that scared you

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

I AM WALKING THE COW

Games that scared you

Post by I AM WALKING THE COW » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:50 am

I remember being a kid when the first silent hill game came out on the ps1 and it genuinly scared the sh!t out of me, not only where there bits in the game that made you jump but the game also created an atmosphere that not many games have ever come close to in my opinion

Another game which had me scared sh!tless was the suffering: ties that bind on the ps2

Also nightmare creatures on the ps1, on the graveyard level the first time I saw a ghost rise from one of the graves I was genuinly shaken up :lol:

So...
Which games over the years have not so much made you jump, but made you feel quite uneasy playing them???
Image Image Image Image

speedlolita

Re: Games that scared you

Post by speedlolita » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:52 am

Alien Trilogy for PlayStation. Those bloody facehuggers climbing up the screen all pixelated scared the hell out of me. :lol:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:54 am

silent hill on ps1 still scares the censored out of me.

Although the most scared i've been is in resident evil 2 whent he licker jumps through the police glass wall (interoragting room) didn't know it was going to happen and actually scared the censored out of me

I AM WALKING THE COW

Post by I AM WALKING THE COW » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:12 am

retrojc wrote:silent hill on ps1 still scares the censored out of me.

Although the most scared i've been is in resident evil 2 whent he licker jumps through the police glass wall (interoragting room) didn't know it was going to happen and actually scared the censored out of me
Not forgetting when the fukkin dogs jump through the window on the first resi, I swear I jumped a mile when that happened

Been playing one of the alone in the dark games for the first time on the ps1 and that made me jump too the other day :lol:
Image Image Image Image

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:47 am

Not so much scared, but for that 'damn uncomfortable' feeling...In no particular order: Doom (Music) PS1-Baby wailing, Silent Hill 1+2, Project Zero 1+2, System Shock 2, Eternal Darkness, Call of Cuth. Dark corners of the earth (xbox)-For really being made to feel like you were being hunted, Fear and AVP Jaguar (Aliens lurking in the shadows,Predator mocking you etc)-All that spring to mind just right now.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:50 am

Yep, Silent Hill 1 (the school!) and 2 (the hospital!). Alien Trilogy on the PS1 was a test of nerves.

Aliens on the Spectrum as well was scary - the beep of the radar was a brilliant use of limited sound. What a game! I never did finish it.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Juggernaut Headcrush

Post by Juggernaut Headcrush » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:12 am

+1 Silent Hill
+1 Aliens (UK) on the Speccy (especially when the lights go out)
+1 Eternal Darkness

Silent Hill 2 as well...the first time I saw one of those leg beasts slither away after I beat it up, and that long staircase down with moans and groans coming from the other end...

Special shout-out goes to Alien Breed 3D; the first time I saw that end-of-game baddie that stands about 3 storeys tall? :shock:

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:46 am

Rise of the robots
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:20 pm

Kuon on the PS2 scared me what a evil game that was..

Also all 4 Project Zero games partically the PS2 Tortmented and the Wii version
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:24 pm

I've found plenty of games atmospheric over the years, whether it be Driller on the speccy, Super Metroid or Metroid Prime on the Snes or GC, and even had worrying moments/jumps from the likes of ED's 8 bit Aliens, HL2, Resident Evil and System Shock 2.

Only one game has actually properly scared me though, and that was the original Project Zero. Only game I've ever got to a save point and not continued because it was getting to me too much. Its not even the ghosts themselves, although they are suitably creepy, or even how the game forces you to let them get close in order to damage them.

Its in the continual bad vibe the game generates, and the expectation of something really indefinably unpleasant happening at any moment. Its almost a relief when ghosts appear and release the tension somewhat, even though the combat itself is taut, edge of the seat stuff.

I might even grow a pair and finish it properly one day... :wink:
Last edited by AlleyKat on Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:25 pm

Also, Battle Zone. The noise the drill makes with it's sheer speed used to scare me.

That was before I even had a PlayStation.. Wow.. :lol:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:10 pm

I'm quite easy to scare, the first time I played Resident Evil I was scared. Then 5 years later when I eventually completed the game, it scared me again! Any first time RE boss fights are nerve-wracking, especially when the Tyrant slams the missile out the way, or when Birkin evolves for the 43rd time.

Also the T-Rex from Tomb Raider....DID NOT expect that one.

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:24 pm

Definitely Project Zero for me! System Shock 2 comes second, and Clive Barker's Undying third.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:27 pm

None ever..

Must be too cynical
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

dste

Post by dste » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:33 pm

A bit in Resi: Code Veronica where a guy is banging on the glass in the dark and one of those things with the stretchy arms smashes his face against the glass, made me jump like hell first time it happened.

Also been finding Dead Space on the 360 to be quite tense.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!