Best GameBoy Hardware?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TheNewMonkey

Best GameBoy Hardware?

Post by TheNewMonkey » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:49 am

Been playing a lot of original GameBoy games lately, i have pocket,colour & advance hardware, i find myself using the colour the most.
I might invest in an advance SP if its worth it.
just wondering whats everyones favourite console to play the original GB carts on?
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Rayne

Re: Best GameBoy Hardware?

Post by Rayne » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:04 am

Personally I always use the SP because of the backlight, one you see it you can't go back to the others :)

clarance

Post by clarance » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:11 am

I have a soft spot for the GBC, but the lack of a back-light lets it down rather.

Generally speaking the GBA SP is the best all rounder - lit screen, can play GB, GBC and GBA games, although the screen can seem a little dull. The Micro is lovely, wonderful screen, but a little too small, and only plays GBA games.

The GameCube Gameboy Payer is fun, and a TV screen can really work well with certain games.

Personally, I'm looking for one of those U.S. SP's with a brighter back-lit light, that would be just about a perfect combination.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:10 am

I use a silver GameBoy Pocket for original GB games. I really like the d-pad on it and just think it 'feels' right when playing GB carts.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:20 am

Gameboy Light for original GB carts. it has the massive advantage of being properly backlit (it was waaaaay ahead of it's time), whilst giving the authentic monochrome display :D ( screen looks really cool when it's in dark surroundings too)

I'd definitely get an SP anyway though.
Rayne wrote:Personally I always use the SP because of the backlight, one you see it you can't go back to the others :)
You have a backlit SP? I can't find one, for love nor money! :(
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Dam

Post by Dam » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:24 am

nokgod wrote:Gameboy Light for original GB carts. it has the massive advantage of being properly backlit (it was waaaaay ahead of it's time), whilst giving the authentic monochrome display :D ( screen looks really cool when it's in dark surroundings too)

I'd love to get a gameboy light, and I don't really do handhelds. The GBA SP screen may be good, but I totally hate the way the d-pad feels, with very small amount of travel.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:30 am

DMG-01.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:47 am

Is the gameboy micro any good?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:01 am

resident paul wrote:Is the gameboy micro any good?

IMO no. I think it's way too small to be comfy or to play games to any level of competence and the trigger buttons feel really cheap and nasty. The screen is laughably small, you'll do some damage to your eyes looking at that for too long. People say it's a great quality screen and while it's quite clear it's not very bright and suffers from backlight bleed. I wish I hadn't of bought mine and got an SP instead, which is what I'll be doing,. but most likely an American backlit version.

I also like the GB Pocket, I bought one when they were first released with a copy of Zelda Link's Awakening and I have to say it's a lovely bit of kit. As Mire Mare said it feels just right, shame it's not backlit though.

The original brick GB is also still a good way to play GB games.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:55 am

Dam wrote:
nokgod wrote:Gameboy Light for original GB carts. it has the massive advantage of being properly backlit (it was waaaaay ahead of it's time), whilst giving the authentic monochrome display :D ( screen looks really cool when it's in dark surroundings too)

I'd love to get a gameboy light, and I don't really do handhelds. The GBA SP screen may be good, but I totally hate the way the d-pad feels, with very small amount of travel.

The light is the perfect size too, halfway between the pocket and the original, very comfy on the mitts. Thats the only problem with the micro and the SP...they can turn your hands into claws with extended use. I have a muti cart adapter that plugs into the SP, which helps me out no end as it increases the size of it considerably. Useless for what it's supposed to do but i've found it a godsend. No more cramp! :D

Here's a pic...i have posted it before somewhere. Ignore the way the carts stick out the side...that was just to show the slots, it only accepts GBA carts which sit flush. Like i said....useless, yet brilliant :lol:

sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:51 am

I actually just picked up a tribal edition SP this morning (14 quid off a business seller on eBay, carry case and charger) and I'm quite impressed with the quality of the screen. It's obviously not as good as a backlit screen, bit the front light seems to work fine. Is good enough quality in daylight as well.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:19 pm

The Gameboy Light is a piece of kit I would very much like to own but whenever I remember to search Ebay I turn up a blank. How does the d-pad compare to the Pocket Nokgod?

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:40 pm

I'm going to get a GB Pocket at some stage to play the old GB games in proper monochrome. Would love a Light myself.

As everyone knows I adore handhelds, so getting all of Nintendo's systems would be great. I have boxed and complete: 3 GBCs (2 of which are the lovely Pokemon ones), a white GBA, a Zelda GBA SP, and a DS Lite white (and a PSP 1000).

I've love to get a backlit GBA SP, a GB Phat (broke my first one as a kid!) a Pocket, a Light and a Micro.
Nintendo DS games: 41

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:12 pm

I fitted an Afterburner kit to my Gameboy Advance a long time ago, and it's wicked. Plus I use a charger pack so it doesn't kill batteries like no tomorrow.
To be honest I actually prefer to play GBA games through it still, over running them through the DS. I much prefer the shape.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:32 pm

I would agree - the shape on the GBA is superb - feels much better than the SP I believe. I like the Micro a lot as well, but overall, my favourite GBA is the first one, though each is good in different ways.

I feel the best way to play GBA games is on the DS Lite however - they look superb on it, and control very well. For the best overall authentic feel, the GBA is the way to go mind!
Nintendo DS games: 41