reccomend a new console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Submerge

reccomend a new console

Post by Submerge » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:21 am

ok, so xmas is on its way and the missus has finally relented and allowed me to grab myself a console (im not under the thumb, honest :D )

what are people saying, xbox 360 or ps2. OR hold out for a ps3.

I know absolutely nowt about modern console gaming tbh, the last i had was a ps1 at uni, and that was 8 years ago now.

in terms of gaming im really looking for 1st person shooters (esp historic ww2 types).

any advice would be much appreciated
'Let his name be praised' - Lo Ray, Body Blows.

CraigGrannell

Re: reccomend a new console

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:26 am

Submerge wrote:what are people saying, xbox 360 or ps2. OR hold out for a ps3.
Given the choice between those... I'd go for a DS.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:42 am

Submerge wrote:in terms of gaming im really looking for 1st person shooters (esp historic ww2 types).
Considered getting a new PC instead?

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:06 am

Submerge wrote:in terms of gaming im really looking for 1st person shooters (esp historic ww2 types).
If you're serious about only wanting to play these types of games then I'd go for the WW2 veteran's console of choice - the PS2. There are about 5 million WW2 shooters out for it.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:36 am

Sureshot wrote:
Considered getting a new PC instead?
Yes, first person shooters are for the most part, only worth playing on PCs IMHO. Much better controls than those clumsy control pads. :D

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:54 am

Get a Wii and forget all this FPS nonsense.

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:46 am

my own meanderings on your question

it depends on what you want to spend really , a decent PC will set you back about a grand, a great gfx card alone is about £400 then you have the SATA drive , the DDR2 , the CPU , the good quality motherboard , the silent PSU the fancy case etc..

and in 2 yrs itll be obsolete whilst your console of choice will be riding high still for another 3 yrs after that id reckon

however the PC is the choice I would make , being still a bit of a computer rather than a console lover.

The Xbox 360 is a fantastic machine, far and away better than the PS2 and the original Xbox, and of course you have the very good looking call of duty 2 on there which is also a fun game, especially on hardest setting.

The PS3 is not far away though and Call of Duty 3 is looking pretty damn sexy.

I think that the PS3 is going to win the crown of king of consoles when it hits the shelves. it will have the graphics and the games will I am sure be great - gran turismo 5 will sell the console to millions alone, also there is the new blu-ray tech included which means huge games I guess ,dont they hold something like 90GB or something daft.

The Nintendo offering will be the cheapest and will sit in the background in a similar fashion to how the cube has, delivering some fantastic games with great playability/fun and probably not that fancy in the gfx department. whatever you buy I'd have this as the spare. The cube has seen more quality play time than either my Ps2 or my xbox and its younger brother I am sure will deliver.

you have to weigh it all up and see what you want to do , Im in Uni at the mo so im sticking with my rubbish PC second hand Ps2,Cube and Xbox games but when i leave next summer and get a full time job i'll just buy all three next gens and budget for a game a month on each say - so long as it doesnt restrict me from getting a nice retro bargain or two :P.
if I had the cash right now for a console though I'd buy a 360 and wait for the other two to fill up a catalogue of good games , the release titles are almost always crap after all and the 360 is doing a good job at the mo, only criticism is the games are all a little too easy now.
Retro when it wasnt cool

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:09 am

Wait for a Wii or get a JAP PS2. Or a DS. Or a PSP. Just don't get a PAL PS2 or a crappy Xbox360.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:33 am

Lindopski wrote:my own meanderings on your question

it depends on what you want to spend really , a decent PC will set you back about a grand, a great gfx card alone is about £400 then you have the SATA drive , the DDR2 , the CPU , the good quality motherboard , the silent PSU the fancy case etc..
It's been a long time since £1000 was true.

I just massively overspecced a PC to replace my old one and I still only spent £600. And this is using the middle of the range of 5 Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs that literally just came out.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:02 pm

I guess you can stick together a decent enough machine for £600 or so , that would do me fine. but the gamers at my LAN would disagree the x1950 gfx card alone is £300 (very fast gamers card) and some of the greedy buggers want 2 :O
then a good Asus or gigabyte board with bells and whistles is around a ton , not sure on CPUs at the mo but they cant be that cheap.

probably kingston or similar memory etc..

but as you point out you can game on the cheap if you get mid range bits.
its what i have done for a while now.
my 2.4 ghz , 1024 MB ram , radeon 9600 xt , heap still runs oblivion and BFME2 ok so im happy
Retro when it wasnt cool

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:29 pm

I've had the pleasure of playing the new Metroid FPS on the Wii and I can tell you that it works a treat. It uses the nunchuk controller like a mouse, ie - to look around and shoot. The attachment controller is used to move forward, back and sideways. It took around 5-10 mins to get used to it but after that it was just like playing FPS on the PC. Plus you'll be able to download and play a big back catalogue of Nintendo games as well as Megadrive and PC Engine games. Plus its cheaper than any of the other machines. I'd definitely go for the Wii.

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:32 pm

Mantas wrote:I'd definitely go for a Wii.
OK, but hurry back :lol:

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:17 pm

Of the options given......

If money is short, grab a 2nd user PS2.

If you have a reasonable budget, grab a 360 (if you must)

But if you really like FPS upgrade your PC.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

necronom

Re:

Post by necronom » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:23 pm

Kaede wrote:Just don't get a PAL PS2
Huh?

So you recommend people get a NTSC machine that has crap picture quality and none of the games you buy from the shops will work :roll:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:04 pm

Get down to Gamestation

Get a SNES with Super Mario World , Legend of Zelda , Pilotwings , Mario Kart , Super Metroid and Yoshi's Island for £50-£100

and laugh at people buying a PS3 with one game for £400-£500 who won't get anywhere near the same playability out of Generic Formula 1 game or
Generic FPS game
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"