please help me find these classic games!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

romany8806

please help me find these classic games!

Post by romany8806 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:01 pm

Hi all,

My first ever post...

I've been trying to track down 4 games from my childhood, and I'm hoping someone can help me:

1. A game that I think was called Tanglewood Tales - I found it on an unlabelled disk when I got my first very own computer (a Medfly Apple II compatible!) back in the 80s. It was a side-scrolling RPG set in a series of trees, where you collected fruit, gliding capes and other miscellany while avoiding monkeys and system crashes. I'd love to find it again, but Google isn't coming to the party.

2. Another Medfly/Apple game which had you driving a VW Beetle (or similar) on an isometric road network, collecting multi-coloured flags. You couldn't stop, but you could speed up, slow down or jump from road to road. There were other cars to avoid and you kept lapping through the same stage until you had collected all flags, then you'd automatically segue into the next stage. I have no idea what it was called.

3. An old Apple game (probably early 80s) called SeaFox - this was a sub game where you could shoot vertically and horizontally. Each stage was set on a single screen. There were similar Arcade games (Sea Wolf?), but SeaFox was king. Once again, I've never been able to find it...

4. An Arcade game from the late 80s. I think it was called King of Beasts - a sort of fantasy wrestling/fighting game where you could choose from a heap of characters like minotaurs etc. I think it came out just before King of Dragons. The best MAME sites I've been able to find have been unable to help me!

Sorry about the looooooooooooong post - I'd be really grateful if anyone could help me out by confirming a game title or even posting a link to a download!

Thanks,
Rom.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:37 am

Found 'Tangles Tales' for the Apple II which i presume is what you mean ? Thats widely available on rom sites

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:24 am

Fairly sure that number 2 is 'Up 'N' Down'. I had it on my C64. Great game.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:36 am

Yup, I skipped when I was reading the format, 2 sounds like def Up N' Down. Have it on MAME.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:40 am

1) Could be Tangled Tales by Origin. Also available for the C64 (as I own it).

2) Defo sounds like Up 'n Down.

3) Seafox is also available for the C64 if you want to go try it, released by Broderbund, it was one of the earliest cartridges for the machine.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

demon cleaner

Post by demon cleaner » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:48 am

2 IS Up'n down, used to play that a lot at the time when I was young. The music was so repetitive, but great.

Elgin_McQueen, you have it on MAME??

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:50 am

4. May go under the name of Mutant Fighter

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?let ... me_id=8797

Mantas

Re: please help me find these classic games!

Post by Mantas » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:19 pm

romany8806 wrote:
4. An Arcade game from the late 80s. I think it was called King of Beasts - a sort of fantasy wrestling/fighting game where you could choose from a heap of characters like minotaurs etc. I think it came out just before King of Dragons. The best MAME sites I've been able to find have been unable to help me!

Thanks,
Rom.
I've been trying to remember this game for ages. Thanks for posting Rom. It is definitley called Mutant Fighter (thanks felgekarp). I remember playing this game in the arcade and I wanted to finish it but ran out of money. A few guys had gathered round watching it and as I was about to walk away one of them put in some credits and asked me to carry on. I didn't know him so it was a really cool thing to do.

yoshi

Post by yoshi » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:54 pm

hi guys great forum by the way! just wondered can anyone tell me the name of this game, you are a spaceship and you drop down from the mothership, you have to use thrusters to land safely and then you have to get back to mothership, each level has different gravitys. any ideas fellas?

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:30 pm

Sounds like Lunar Rescue to me.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

romany8806

Post by romany8806 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:36 pm

Wow, what a great response! I'm stoked, all four games remembered and identified.

I'm going to go looking for all of those right now, freshly armed with your expertise! Thanks everyone.

Incidentally, does anyone have a top 10 Master System games list they want to share?

Mine are (not necessarily in order):
1. Phantasy Star
2. Fantasy Zone
3. Psycho Fox
4. Ultima 4 (I think I've played every version of this, and this is actually my version of choice! First game I ever actually bought, back on the Apple II)
5. Wonderboy III: the Dragon's Trap
6. Spellcaster
7. Alex Kidd in Miracle World
8. Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
9. Danan: Jungle Fighter
10. Bubble Bobble

I'd be really curious to see which games other people remember fondly.[/list]

mel the bell

Re:

Post by mel the bell » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:04 pm

romany8806 wrote:Wow, what a great response! I'm stoked, all four games remembered and identified.

I'm going to go looking for all of those right now, freshly armed with your expertise! Thanks everyone.

Incidentally, does anyone have a top 10 Master System games list they want to share?

Mine are (not necessarily in order):
1. Phantasy Star
2. Fantasy Zone
3. Psycho Fox
4. Ultima 4 (I think I've played every version of this, and this is actually my version of choice! First game I ever actually bought, back on the Apple II)
5. Wonderboy III: the Dragon's Trap
6. Spellcaster
7. Alex Kidd in Miracle World
8. Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
9. Danan: Jungle Fighter
10. Bubble Bobble

I'd be really curious to see which games other people remember fondly.[/list]
speedball 2
desert strike
fantsy zone
alex kidd
sonic2

i have loads on cart but not played em all tbh
im more of asnes / megadrive guy :P
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap