PSP vs DS for emulation

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mantas

PSP vs DS for emulation

Post by Mantas » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:57 am

Can anyone tell me which machine is best for retro emulation? I have a GP32 which works fine and I’m not too keen to get a GP2x if the PSP or DS can do the same/similar thing.

I’m guessing the PSP will be the better machine but I have no proof of this. Also, what would I need in terms of flash cards/ pass through cards, software etc or do I just need to copy the emulators and roms to a flash card and run it like that. I’ve had a poke around the net but haven’t found a site that says I need XYZ.

Thanks

miner2049er

Post by miner2049er » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:17 pm

If it's just for emulation I'd go with a GP2X even though I don't have one.

I'm happy with emulation on my DS but it obviously doesn't do it straight out of the box.
http://www.jamesonline.net
Now I just need an amusing tag line.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:22 pm

The PSP does a much better job, but you'll need to find one with firmware version 2.6 or lower for now.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:39 am

Cant comment on the other two but the GP2X is excellent. One of the main reasons i got one was the great TV Out which works very very well. You have a multi console in your hands which you can link up to the TV !

The Neo Geo/MAME/SNES emulators are some of the best for the GP2X

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:56 am

Go with the GP2x
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

White Demon

Post by White Demon » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:55 am

Yep get a GP2X. I got one and they're the best for emulation.

On the DS the screen res is too small to emulate properly and on the PSP you have to play 'spot the buggy firmware' with Sony.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:37 am

"Please help me choose between a PSP and DS"

"Get a GP2X"

Well done people, very helpful.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:54 am

i have a psp and it emulates the gameboy , spectrum and megadrive very well and its easy enough to use. But like mentioned above you have to keep the firmware down below 2.6.

miner2049er

Re:

Post by miner2049er » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:41 pm

Dudley wrote:Well done people, very helpful.
"I’m not too keen to get a GP2x if the PSP or DS can do the same/similar thing."

They can't, not as well. Get a GP2X.
http://www.jamesonline.net
Now I just need an amusing tag line.

markopoloman

Re:

Post by markopoloman » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:01 pm

Dudley wrote:"Please help me choose between a PSP and DS"

"Get a GP2X"

Well done people, very helpful.

Correct Dudders, we are helping :D

Go for the GP2x - its the muts nuts for emulation :roll:

mel the bell

Post by mel the bell » Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:06 pm

psp is more powerful, emulates more stuff

but im happy with my ds, supercard and dspec emu

having a touch screen speccy keyboard is unbeatable :)
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:40 pm

I thought I'd update this thread. I now have a PSP ver 1.5. At the moment on the 32MB card I have the C64, Speccy, Intellivision, MD and MAME running on it. I haven't tried the SNES, Atari ST, Amiga, Atari 2600, GBA or the N64. All the games I've tried run at full speed (sometimes a little too much speed) and sound. They look stunning on the PSP screen and I haven't encountered any control issues - although none of the games I've played are highly dependant on the diagonals.

So yes the PSP does do good emulation and is worth getting.

will2097

Re:

Post by will2097 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:40 pm

Mantas wrote:I thought I'd update this thread. I now have a PSP ver 1.5. At the moment on the 32MB card I have the C64, Speccy, Intellivision, MD and MAME running on it. I haven't tried the SNES, Atari ST, Amiga, Atari 2600, GBA or the N64. All the games I've tried run at full speed (sometimes a little too much speed) and sound. They look stunning on the PSP screen and I haven't encountered any control issues - although none of the games I've played are highly dependant on the diagonals.

So yes the PSP does do good emulation and is worth getting.
I had a 1gb 2.70 PSP (I bought it like that) and over the weekend I took it up to 2.71 and then down to 1.50 and i have to say the emulation on the PSP is pretty good - but not great.

MAME emulation is a serious case of 'look what you could have had'. Annoying little things like Asteroids works, as does Battlezone but Starwars doesn't. Some mid-80s stuff works fine, Dragon-Ninja (Bad Dudes) works fine but could I get Jackal to work? The answer is no.

The Megadrive emulator is pretty nifty but requires some technical hacking around to get the exploit working and MD games don't 'do it' for me.

The Neogeo emulator is very good but only on the earliest NeoGeo games. Metal Slug 1 is brilliant - Metal Slug 5 is sluggish. Although Aero Wings 2 emulates brilliantly and my boring train ride to London whistled away thanks to this. But also to get some of the ROMS converted you have hack around again.

It's the first time I have emulated away from the PC and it is a very "peaks and troughs" experience. To be fair I found the PC experience pretty mediocre. I prefer the later games, late 80's to mid-90's and these don't emulate well on anything.

I was talked out of a GP2x because of the very poor build quality - apparently! Which is a shame.

I'm beginning to think a Jamma board and NeoGeo MVS are the real answer...

Will

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:51 pm

The PSP is good for emulation covering a wide range of computers and consoles. Admittedly MAME is a bit ropey at present but with all the other emus around this isn't much of a hardship. Emulation is great for the Speccy, C64, Colecovision, NES, GB/GBC (and the GBA emulator is coming along very nicely). I've never had any problems in playing MD and SNES games with full sound and speed.

I upgraded my N-gage to this and didn't regret the decision.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:53 pm

I really like the MD emulation.

So have the got a downgrader for 2.7 now then :shock: