What's your favourite version of Mario Kart?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mr Vengeance

What's your favourite version of Mario Kart?

Post by Mr Vengeance » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:49 pm

As some of you may be aware from reading my posts in the 'currently playing' thread, I've been at the Mario Kart series quite a bit recently. Anyway, I thought I might put it out to you lot and see which is your favourite in the series and why.....

Consider Super Mario Kart on the SNES, Mario Kart 64, Mario Kart: Super Circuit on the Game Boy Advance, Mario Kart: Double Dash!! on the Cube, Mario Kart DS, and Mario Kart Wii if you will. And if you're lucky enough to have played them, the arcade versions as well...

I really don't have an opinion right now myself - I like the games in different ways for their different features - I like the DS game's online racing, the handling and Time Trial of the SNES game, Mario Kart 64's single player cups and the outstanding Battle Mode present in Double Dash!! (The only one I don't own is the Wii version, I'll be interested to hear peoples' opinions on this one).

So then, I'll belt up now and let you lot get on with it ;)
Nintendo DS games: 41

SirClive

Re: What's your favourite version of Mario Kart?

Post by SirClive » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:51 pm

Double Dash. I like the fun (but very limited) co-op.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:55 pm

I never liked any of them tbh..

Snes version I never liked just can't get on with it. Balloon Multiplayer used to bore me

N64 Version I liked it apart from that Rubber band physic and how it was impossible to lap anybody been a while seince I played it..

Gamecube version I never played

DS everybody used that Skeleton Koopa in Multiplayer and they where all cheating gits

Mario Kart arcade came first place with Peach, then it says add £1 to continue :cry:

Wii I did play it can't remember much about it other than you could use the Fairy of Mario Galaxy as a selectable character
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:00 pm

N64 version.

Underrated IMO.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:01 pm

I've only played the original but I keep hearing it's still meant to be the best. You should've done a poll :)

dste

Post by dste » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:01 pm

For me it has to be Super Mario Kart, I personally think that bar Super Circuit the series has got progressively worse to the extent that I pretty much never play on the Wii version unless it's against friends online as it frustrates me too much. You can pretty much 99.9% guarantee that if you are in first you will get hit by numerous blue shells to the extent that it takes the censored.

I love that fact that Super had the feather for some pretty cool shortcuts and to use right at the last second to avoid shells and I like collecting the coins for the extra speed, for me it's just a great game.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:05 pm

I'd probably have to go with Double Dash as well, spent more time playing that with friends than any of the others.

I do like Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart Wii an awful lot too.

imaxeroker85

Post by imaxeroker85 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:10 pm

I played some Mario Kart wii tonight, every few months i think " wow i have mario kart sitting here should give it a go" but i'm dissapointed almost everytime. the n64 version was the best i sunk so many hours into it and the track designs were the best. the only thrills i get out of MKwii is the noises and few n64 tracks represented, i hate the controls and the weapons just replace all racing skill with luck.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:04 pm

The DS version all the way... most iterations have been great but I never liked the GBA version for some odd reason.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:10 pm

64 by a million miles.

I didn't feel Mario Kart Wii or Double Dash even feel much like a kart game.

The GBA version or DS version would be second in line for me.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:11 pm

Sir Hilary Bray wrote:N64 version.

Underrated IMO.
my favourite too....almost purely for the 4 way split screen balloon bursting game!
that added to my lazy (and at the time stoned) nature ruined my third year of college but I still love it to this day :lol:

playing 24hr sessions on the original as a kid at "sleepovers" is also a great memory

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:09 pm

My favorite by far is Mario Kart 64, so many memories and records. Heck I was in Nintendo Power with a top score, even got a Mario Kart phone card for one of em.

Mario Kart Wii IMO could have been great but failed by allowing the Blue Shell to pop up too frequently. Having to stay in 2nd place until the end isn't the way to play Mario Kart.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:23 pm

For me I'd still say the original game is the most purest Mario Kart experience, it's the game that fully rewards skilful players. I had endless fun playing that co-op and vs back in the day. It's an absolute classic.

I would say MK DS is right up there with it though for sheer playability and overall enjoyment, it's bloody marvellous. I've heard people saying the game is full of cheats online using the snaking technique but I've only ever played it multi-player via local wireless and it's never been a problem (ignorance FTW).

The Wii version is a very fun and playable game, but it's at it's best when you play to have fun rather than to win, I've played quite a bit online and had I taken any of the races seriously then I'd probably have no hair left now lol.

Double Dash and Mario Kart 64 are the MK games I'm least familiar with in terms of multiplayer, so really can't pass any true judgement on them but I like MK 64 single player. Didn't really get on very well with Double Dash though I hear it's got some very fun multiplayer modes!

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:32 pm

Get an NTSC copy of Mario Kart 64. :)
Logged out 15/07/2014.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:52 pm

I've just discovered Mario Kart Wii recently and I reckon it could be one of the best in the series if it wasn't for those f**kin blue shells :evil:

The inclusion of tracks from the other games is brilliant and some of them race even better than they did in the originals, Sherbert Land from MK64 is one of the stand outs..