Time Pilot Tips and advice

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Mire Mare

Time Pilot Tips and advice

Post by Mire Mare » Sun May 23, 2010 7:07 am

A pretty tricky game but hellishly addictive! Any tips and general advice?

Also, Spooky's current challenge (thanks for starting it Spooks) is a time limited game so any tips for this would be good. I understand collecting the parachutes multiplies each time if you don't crash and burn in the process but are there other ways of increasing score?

Spooky

Re: Time Pilot Tips and advice

Post by Spooky » Sun May 23, 2010 8:45 am

Mire Mare wrote:A pretty tricky game but hellishly addictive! Any tips and general advice?

Also, Spooky's current challenge (thanks for starting it Spooks) is a time limited game so any tips for this would be good. I understand collecting the parachutes multiplies each time if you don't crash and burn in the process but are there other ways of increasing score?
Cheers! I'm really enjoying this challenge, I've had to improve my best score at least 4 times to take back the 1st place... still a few hours left, maybe I'll have to do it again?

Anyway, as for tips, as you mentioned, getting the parachutes gives you a nice score boost. I've also noticed that in the 2nd level, shooting the bigger planes gives you 1,500 pts each.

And of course, in a 2 minute-challenge, never losing a life is a big help!
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sun May 23, 2010 1:15 pm

2 minutes! :shock: Is that all!?! It felt much longer! :lol: I'll practice some more later but won't have chance to try at the challenge again. Lets have another one! :)

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sun May 23, 2010 1:21 pm

Mire Mare wrote:2 minutes! :shock: Is that all!?! It felt much longer! :lol: I'll practice some more later but won't have chance to try at the challenge again. Lets have another one! :)
Absolutely! I've really enjoyed this challenge, so it'd be great to have another one. :wink:

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun May 23, 2010 3:07 pm

Hmm....tips and advice for Time Pilot....

Don't send Time Pilot challenges to me if you're trying to win the challenges achievement.... :wink: :lol:

Seriously though, best advice is tackle things head on, don't try and avoid conflicts...hammer the fire button and you can usually fly straight at a wave of planes and take them all out no problem. Try to collect all the parachutists...the bonuses for these actually accumulate....the first one is worth 1000, the next 2000 and so on. This will carry on until you die or finish the wave. If you hear a different sound effect, that means you'll get a bonus for quickly destroying every plane in the formation currently on screen so remember that too.

When you get to 1970 and beyond...make sure you watch for rockets and missiles, keep an eye on those more than the enemy planes/helicopters as these will follow you around more and can cause more problems.

And, particualarly on the first couple of levels, don't kill the 'boss' straight away when it appears, try to dodge it for a while and carry on racking up points first :)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun May 23, 2010 3:39 pm

And another tip for myself....don't be so smug when Spooky sends you a challenge. :lol: :lol:

I couldn't quite beat you at the end there, well done! :)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun May 23, 2010 3:45 pm

A 2 minute challenge on Time Pilot is the sort of thing I would have loved... if I'd been around to even take part in it. Ah well, maybe next time...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Mon May 24, 2010 5:08 am

Mayhem wrote:A 2 minute challenge on Time Pilot is the sort of thing I would have loved... if I'd been around to even take part in it. Ah well, maybe next time...
I'll send you an invite next time. It's a shame you can only challenge seven friends at a time... But I'll do this one again!

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon May 24, 2010 6:35 am

I tend to fly up the screen as much as possible. Vertically is better than horizontally as you see more of what's coming. And if you're going up, you can intercept the parachutists quicker. That and on the first level at least, the bombs fall away quicker.

David GP

Post by David GP » Mon May 24, 2010 10:06 am

I'm not home yet, but at least I have access to a PC.

Time Pilot is one of those games I have been playing for ages, but which I have always failed to master. Despite the years, I still find it extremely hard to negotiate the last stage. Dodging bullets and UFOs is nerve wracking - everything goes way too fast.

A few tips:

- Flying upwards is easier in stage 1. Bombs never reach you, and enemy planes are just bigger (when they fly left to right or right to left, they are not as bulky and easy to shoot down).
- In stages 3 and 4, use that vertical screen to your advantage! Fly to the right, and missiles will often disappear from the play area as they desperately try to turn in the right direction.
- It is usually a good idea to dodge homing missiles at the last moment by performing a simple loop.
- Keep spraying the screen with bullets. If you fly upwards, stir your plane left and right and left again so your bullets hit most targets ahead.
- You cannot get more than 3 or 4 parachutes in a stage unless you lose a life.

This game is absolutely brilliant. I wish I could play those 2 minute challenges with you people!

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Mon May 24, 2010 11:22 am

David GP wrote:I'm not home yet, but at least I have access to a PC.

Time Pilot is one of those games I have been playing for ages, but which I have always failed to master. Despite the years, I still find it extremely hard to negotiate the last stage. Dodging bullets and UFOs is nerve wracking - everything goes way too fast.

A few tips:

- Flying upwards is easier in stage 1. Bombs never reach you, and enemy planes are just bigger (when they fly left to right or right to left, they are not as bulky and easy to shoot down).
- In stages 3 and 4, use that vertical screen to your advantage! Fly to the right, and missiles will often disappear from the play area as they desperately try to turn in the right direction.
- It is usually a good idea to dodge homing missiles at the last moment by performing a simple loop.
- Keep spraying the screen with bullets. If you fly upwards, stir your plane left and right and left again so your bullets hit most targets ahead.
- You cannot get more than 3 or 4 parachutes in a stage unless you lose a life.

This game is absolutely brilliant. I wish I could play those 2 minute challenges with you people!
I've seen your high score and I'm not sure I'd stand a chance in any challenge... :lol:

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Mon May 24, 2010 11:23 am

ToxieDogg wrote:And another tip for myself....don't be so smug when Spooky sends you a challenge. :lol: :lol:

I couldn't quite beat you at the end there, well done! :)
Cheers! You really brought the best in me on this one... I always I'd keep the lead, being proud of my score, and yet, I've had to do better at least 4 times! :lol:
You did beat me on my Mega Zone challenge, so I guess we're even! :wink:

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Mon May 24, 2010 6:25 pm

Great tips guys! I'm off to have a few games before ZZZzzzzz time :)

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue May 25, 2010 9:22 am

What are you all playing it on? On the arcade board (or MAME) you can set the DIP switches for difficulty. For example, on the hardest setting, some baddies shoot bullets as early as level 1. Just wondering what setting you're all playing at.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue May 25, 2010 1:24 pm

Spooky wrote:I'll send you an invite next time. It's a shame you can only challenge seven friends at a time... But I'll do this one again!
Probably also cos you dropped off my friends list... re-added... I wish Microsoft would add more friends slots...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...