Your rarity/price guide references

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Britpop95

Your rarity/price guide references

Post by Britpop95 » Sun May 23, 2010 4:47 am

Evening chaps/chapettes, just wondering what people tend to use when it comes to checking out rarity guides out there for their collection (any format).

Just starting to get my old PS1 collection (amongst others) back on track and could do with some up-to-date reference sites to make sure that i'm not paying over the odds and perhaps even finding out if some of the games that i do have are worth a few bob, too.......

I'm aware of digitpress.com although it does tend to be A) a little out of date and B) concentrated around the American/NTSC scene

Whilst I am in the States, i'm not collecting NTSC so that site is about as much use as a bag of spiders.......

Anyone got any recommendations?
Into the Wonderful

Antiriad2097

Re: Your rarity/price guide references

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun May 23, 2010 6:51 am

Ebay.

Loads on ebay = not rare.

Its probably the quickest and easiest rule of thumb for common stuff.

Anything not on there you want to check out a bit further, just in case its worth a few quid.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Britpop95

Post by Britpop95 » Sun May 23, 2010 8:01 am

Well yes, eBay is useful to a degree but I was thinking more of a complete (or near as) list for immediate reference. As I say, Digitpress has one for American users and I know the Amiga Hall of Light website has a relatively decent rarity guide but tracking PAL console rarity/price guides down on the internet isn't as easy as I thought it would be.......
Into the Wonderful

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sun May 23, 2010 8:54 am

I'm sure RetroJC can give you some pointers as he seems to be the man for the job when it comes to PS1 collecting...that's if he's not too embarrassed after last night's posts ;) :lol:
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sun May 23, 2010 11:09 am

haha by all means ask away

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sun May 23, 2010 11:11 am

If it exists, buy it!

Right? :wink:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sun May 23, 2010 11:32 am

haha, nahh theres only around 200 ps1 games that you should own, the rest ae just censored or too common

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Sun May 23, 2010 1:50 pm

As ant says use ebay. There are few enough lists for even US stuff as it just takes so much work to maintain them. Perhaps why the RG price guide hasn't changed!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 23, 2010 5:46 pm

Oh and if you're using ebay prices as a reference? Only check completed auction listings because BIN's are always wrong :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun May 23, 2010 5:56 pm

Megamixer wrote:Oh and if you're using ebay prices as a reference? Only check completed auction listings because BIN's are always wrong :lol:
true. I always take an average of several completed listings. That'll give you something approximating its actual value.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Sun May 23, 2010 6:11 pm

Just don't pay more than a fiver unless you know that it's worth it, I'd say.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 23, 2010 6:58 pm

nokgod wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Oh and if you're using ebay prices as a reference? Only check completed auction listings because BIN's are always wrong :lol:
true. I always take an average of several completed listings. That'll give you something approximating its actual value.
Well take Marvel Vs Capcom 2 for example. BIN's have you believe that it's worth over £20 yet I sold a mint Xbox copy for £9 this month on auction.

At the end of the day though, just because a BIN is there at a certain price, doesn't mean it will sell or that anybody is willing to pay that much. I reckon that's what you need to keep in mind since anybody can list anything for £XXX.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sun May 23, 2010 7:00 pm

I got about £15 for my PS2 copy.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 23, 2010 7:01 pm

speedlolita wrote:I got about £15 for my PS2 copy.

Same-ish. I sold a near-mint PS2 copy for £16. It's really not worth as much as people have you believe.

On a side-note, I was stupid to sell the PS2 version so I had to buy another copy :oops:

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sun May 23, 2010 7:02 pm

XBLA version is better.
Logged out 15/07/2014.