Collect or Play

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Space_turnip

Re: Collect or Play

Post by Space_turnip » Sat May 22, 2010 8:11 pm

I've read the thread with interest too. Slightly amusing.

Maybe i'm just getting old and cynical, but 'getting a life' now means discovering women and drink? A lot of people on this forum found both of those when they were teenagers, continued with both of them and haven't stopped collecting games to do it. If a woman (or man) takes up so much money that you can't collect games there's something wrong there!

At the end of the day, I collect games, play what I can when I can and still have hundreds lying around not played. I've not done it for Kudos on the board, and i've still managed to 'have a life'. If you have to make a choice between one or the other there's something wrong somewhere.

And 20/30 quid to get pissed? Drink some proper drink you bunch of soft wankers, get some Thatchers down you and it won't cost that much! ;)

Edit: Amusingly, wankers is not censored on the forum, so my 'clever' use of the censored has turned into an insult against people. It wasnt meant to :lol:

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sat May 22, 2010 8:48 pm

I agree fully with Mr Turnip.

And I'll ask a question... How come it's socially unaccceptable for me to buy a load of games yet when I open the wardrobe a 100-weight of handbag falls on my head?

Women are just as bad as men, it's just we don't make them feel bad about the plethora of shoes and accessories they buy (except me, I'm always complaining :lol:).
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sat May 22, 2010 8:59 pm

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat May 22, 2010 10:21 pm

Space_turnip wrote:I've read the thread with interest too. Slightly amusing.

Maybe i'm just getting old and cynical, but 'getting a life' now means discovering women and drink? A lot of people on this forum found both of those when they were teenagers, continued with both of them and haven't stopped collecting games to do it. If a woman (or man) takes up so much money that you can't collect games there's something wrong there!

At the end of the day, I collect games, play what I can when I can and still have hundreds lying around not played. I've not done it for Kudos on the board, and i've still managed to 'have a life'. If you have to make a choice between one or the other there's something wrong somewhere.

And 20/30 quid to get pissed? Drink some proper drink you bunch of soft wankers, get some Thatchers down you and it won't cost that much! ;)

Edit: Amusingly, wankers is not censored on the forum, so my 'clever' use of the censored has turned into an insult against people. It wasnt meant to :lol:
Good post. :)

I don't know if I'm included in your bunch of 'wankers' there, but I barely drink anyway :lol: , I was just using what retrojc said as an example....it could be going for a meal, going to the cinema, whatever....whatever constitutes just spending quality time with your other half as opposed to spending the time and money on yourself. I've never said that you shouldn't spend any time or money on yourself, and I'm sorry if people thought I did. :? And fair play to you for finding that balance. You're right that there's something wrong if you don't....I am talking from experience after all, and I don't feel that I did. It is, of course, entirely likely that I was just simply married to the wrong person and she's made me feel so bad about myself that I wonder if I could've prevented the inevitable by giving her all of my time and cash instead of just a part of it, but that's a different story.

And I've seen similar things happen with usually level headed people around me as well. Remember that Retromaniacs website I was involved with last year that went belly up? The guy I was running it with went a little crazy and deleted all the content one evening. Although he p!ssed me off, I understand why he did it...he was getting obsessed wth doing stuff to the site to the point where he was either on it, or thinking about it almost 24 hours a day. It took a real threat of divorce from his wife to give him a wake up call.

We're not all the same, and there's not one single person I can think of on this forum who I think should 'get a life' as such. I was more saying (although it constantly seems to come out wrong) that in a hypothetical situation where I now had a choice between, say, spending £90-+ on a copy of Radiant Silvergun, which I'd only want because it was rare and would look nice sat on my shelf doing nothing, not because I had any intention of playing it much, or taking my missus away for the weekend, then I'd have to go for the latter. If I did actually badly want to play it at some point in my life, then I'd feel differently maybe. I wasn't digging at anybody in particular or saying it's a situation I see going on here (it isn't) but we all know there are people like that in the world. The same goes for people on forums who collect games just to show off to other forumites. I don't know anybody here who does that. If you're collecting for your own enjoyment, then fair play to you. But there are plenty of other people around the world, on other forums, who are into the 'oneupmanship' culture. These kinds of people have even been mentioned in Retro Gamer mag....the 'gaming illimunati' I think the feature referred to them as :lol: I remember reading a while back about a copy of the Resident Evil 1.5 beta turning up as well...it's unclear as to whether it was a hoax or not but the guy claiming to have it certainly seemed to enjoy just making other people believe that he had it and boasting about it.

They're the kinds of people I really have a problem with. People like you, AngryJock or anybody else, collecting games for their own personal satisfaction is fine. I may think at times that you're odd if you buy what I consider to be a rubbish game just for the sake of 'completeness', (and other people may think that I'm odd for not having certain games in an otherwise complete collection) but it's not meant as an insult, and the world would be a boring place if we were all the same, and I don't think badly of anybody asides from those 'gaming illiminati' idiots I mentioned above. I don't want to have games I don't like in my collection, so I don't buy them even if I haven't got a copy of them. And I normally refuse to spend much over the RRP on any game, especially a second hand one, even if it's 'rare'. For me personally, the only point of doing so would be to show off, because I would otherwise get no enjoyment from them. I've never thought that this was the case for everybody else who buys them though. But by the same token, you can't deny that it does happen.

That's gonna be the last of my massive War & Peace style rants on this subject, honest. :lol: Much love! (spoken in a Terry Tibbs style voice)
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

WildWillyWilson

Post by WildWillyWilson » Sat May 22, 2010 10:46 pm

Mixture of collect and play for me. PS3 wise I buy games I really want to play after reading previews / reviews etc... Stuff like Heavy Rain, GTA IV, Fallout 3 etc...
Mega Drive wise I'm trying to go for the full JP set so that means buying some games that I cant play due to the language barrier- like strategy games etc... However a big part of the reason I'm collecting for the MD is the fantastic artwork, some of them are worth collecting for that alone (I dont expect everyone to understand) and even though I cant play them it's nice to see/hear the graphics/music in these games- things like the intros etc...
I enjoy looking at the games all lined up on my shelves also with the fantastic colourful spines- again a lot of people wont understand this but it makes me happy and that's all that counts!
Nostalgia plays a huge part as well, the MD was my favourite console and it's great to dig up games that I never even heard of as a kid. I do have a tendency to be quite obsessive (most people going for a full collection will probably admit to this) but then I'm obsessive about other things in my life not just games! I'm just generally a big fan on the console and I'd like to own and sample everything that was released JP wise for the machine.

Dont go the emulation route as I want that feeling I had as a kid popping the cartridge into the slot, flicking the power button across and seeing what greets me on the screen. Cant beat it...

I play the MD games I have in my collection but there's a lot I still need to devote some more time to that's for sure, the internet / you tube etc... can be very time consuming + work commitments etc...
My younger brother stays over every few weeks though and we have 2 player co-op / versus gaming sessions on the MD which is a good laugh.

Also collect old favourites on the PS1 & PS2 and I've got my Amiga with original games as a kid.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sat May 22, 2010 11:32 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
Good post. :)

I don't know if I'm included in your bunch of 'wankers' there, but I barely drink anyway :lol: , I was just using what retrojc said as an example....it could be going for a meal, going to the cinema, whatever....whatever constitutes just spending quality time with your other half as opposed to spending the time and money on yourself. I've never said that you shouldn't spend any time or money on yourself, and I'm sorry if people thought I did. :? And fair play to you for finding that balance. You're right that there's something wrong if you don't....I am talking from experience after all, and I don't feel that I did. It is, of course, entirely likely that I was just simply married to the wrong person and she's made me feel so bad about myself that I wonder if I could've prevented the inevitable by giving her all of my time and cash instead of just a part of it, but that's a different story.
I wasn't calling anyone a censored, just to clear that up! :lol:
I get what people are saying - spending quality time with the other half is important, aye, but I don't see that there should ever be a 'this or that' divide. I collect a huge amount of games, I spend 5-6 hours a day doing a project that, truth be told, only me the other half and a few others will probably ever read. My girlfriend is fine with it because she realises that we're both individuals, and it's the way i've always been (not with retro stuff, granted, as that came within the last few years, but with music and gigging, which took my time up just as much, with something she didnt have a huge amount of interest in). If anyone has to change to suit a woman (or man) there's something wrong there, definately, which is why I find it odd when people suddenly 'discover' life to be something different than the things they've enjoyed for years. Of course retro games are never as important as my girlfriend, that's a given, but i'd never give it up, even if it is collecting loads of tat, to please anyone. And i'm also not saying I have a perfect relationship - we argue like mad! But retro games have never been an issue, mainly because we appreicate each others individuality. If I spent all my time with her, with no time to myself, I doubt very much we'd of lasted this long, and I think the same is for every couple. Like Jock said, if a woman buys tons of clothes or shoes, or anything which hasn;t got the stigma video games have, it's never seen quite as bad, and there's this weird faintly victorian leftover thinking that a man must buy stuff for his other half even though chances are nowadays that the woman will be earning the same sort of money as the man. I say bring it on, let both sides of a couple buy what makes them happy then maybe when they're together things will go a lot smoother!
And I've seen similar things happen with usually level headed people around me as well. Remember that Retromaniacs website I was involved with last year that went belly up? The guy I was running it with went a little crazy and deleted all the content one evening. Although he p!ssed me off, I understand why he did it...he was getting obsessed wth doing stuff to the site to the point where he was either on it, or thinking about it almost 24 hours a day. It took a real threat of divorce from his wife to give him a wake up call.
Ah but even though the internet does crazy things to people (I should know); getting obsessed with stuff is an age old thing, and the single biggest thing that peple get obsessed over is women (or men...I keep quantifying this, but I feel it's important, just to show we're not all middle aged balding men here ;)). I have mates who have found women and suddenly everything they loved before is 'childish' or whatever. That to me is a bigger problem than becoming 'obsessed' with games. And I can guarentee if we did a poll here then more people will say they've done stupid things to please women that they regret afterwards, than becoming obsessed with games. Yeah I know the luke Morse guy is the current subject of a thread in off topic and he's an example of the bad side of things, but if it wasn't games it'd be something else with him. Yeah if someone spends all their time stopping collecting or playing games rather than with a baby or their partner, then something is wrong - but pre-empting any of that by completely stopping doing something you like, thats just as dangerous. Besides, when I have kids, they're going to be brought up to know what a controller is - I'll be spending more time with my family due to my games collecting, a baby will probably be the only person willing to sit and watch me play :lol:
That's gonna be the last of my massive War & Peace style rants on this subject, honest. :lol: Much love! (spoken in a Terry Tibbs style voice)
Don't think it's a rant mate, and I'd like to point out that nothing in my post was directed at you (or anyone in particular!). My only real point was that I feel sorry for those, especially the younger members of the board, who feel that discovering life means spending all their hard earned cash on drink or food or going out. I think anyone who decides to give one thing up that they enjoy to do something else is making a mistake. Yes, some people can get obsessed with it and then maybe they need to take a step back, but chances are that person will be the same with everything in their life, games themselves have nowt to do with it.

I stand by my point that those 'discovering' alcohol need to drink some good West Country Cider. It'll cost a lot less to get to your threshold of alcohol (although granted, the morning breath it creates may not appeal to the fairer sex!) ;)

Britpop95

Post by Britpop95 » Sun May 23, 2010 12:33 am

Controversial perhaps but I tend not to play the games that I actually 'collect' because invariably the gaming experience is far less enjoyable than a modern day 360/PS3 title.

Now that's obviously not to say all games of a certain era are awful and all games in the current era are fine and dandy - there are clearly some belters of old that hold up remarkably well when it comes to playability and conversely there are some absolutely shocking modern games - but from my own perspective, my 'collecting' is really down to nostalgia.

Let's take a random example off the top of my head:

Chase H.Q. II: Special Criminal Investigation (Amiga) - hardly a classic and probably quite forgettable for many - might fetch a tenner or so on eBay but when I see that cover, physically hold that box and glaze over the screenshots it IS 1992 all over again....... deep down I know the gameplay will be shoddy in comparison to your average modern game for obvious technological reasons but it's academic because sentimentally it's far more impressive.
Into the Wonderful

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun May 23, 2010 4:20 am

Space_turnip wrote:I've read the thread with interest too. Slightly amusing.

Great post mr turnip agree fully with what your saying there.
Each to there own and it's all about balance the cash/games/playing/collecting/missus and family stuff.Whatever makes you happy at the end of the day as long as it's hurting no one else or affecting your family life who gives a fuck what anyone else thinks.
Last edited by aztecca on Sun May 23, 2010 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sun May 23, 2010 4:42 am

Space Turnip has hit the nail on the head again.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sun May 23, 2010 5:15 am

I think, if it's affecting your quality of life - then you've gone too far. Spending beyond your means is just dumb.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sun May 23, 2010 6:19 am

Thing is, i wrote tht all wrong...

At 3am, i found myself murdering the toilet, truth be told beer is bad.

To clarify my night of drinking went like this...

10 Budweisers in the garden,
1 litre of this shitty alcopop.
And 1/2 litre of vodka.

LIfe was great untill 3am.

Mind you regurgitating Burgers was equally awesome.

But I just think i found myself in a hole where i was spending more than i could afford. Trying to get game xxxx 'cause xxxx had it. Etc. Trying to get games cause others wanted them. THen somthing amazing happened, I looked around saw i had a decent family and friends, not to menation a great lady; Then i looked down and noticed i didn't need to buy items to make up my willy (don't you just love puberty?).

Anyway, revision for me now, But i do enjoy your comments. Clearly i'm a lightweight drinker, which is great. Next, let's compare censored sizes.

P.s Aztecca, Angry Jock; if i was gay...

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Sun May 23, 2010 6:20 am

speedlolita wrote:I think, if it's affecting your quality of life - then you've gone too far. Spending beyond your means is just dumb.
Exactly. And that goes for gaming or drinking. Or, well, anything :)

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sun May 23, 2010 6:26 am

speedlolita wrote:It costs more than £20 to get me pissed, but I guess I only ever drink in pubs - and I live in London. Go figure.

I enjoy it all the same though. :mrgreen:
I figure...

You can drink a whole litre of Vodka for £9.99?
Then buy a on offer create of lager for £9.99?

and sit in a pub and drink them?...

and have 2 pennies spare to save up for your next bad gaming purchase. And more importantly, be sober at the end of the night. You're a hero

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun May 23, 2010 6:28 am

retrojc wrote:
Well you never know there bud you seem to be having a confusing time at the mo.So there is plenty of time for that yet.
I would like to pass on your offer though if that's OK.I am sure TheAngryJock may take you up on it though :lol:
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sun May 23, 2010 6:29 am

retrojc wrote:Thing is, i wrote tht all wrong...

At 3am, i found myself murdering the toilet, truth be told beer is bad.

To clarify my night of drinking went like this...

10 Budweisers in the garden,
1 litre of this shitty alcopop.
And 1/2 litre of vodka.

LIfe was great untill 3am.

Mind you regurgitating Burgers was equally awesome.

But I just think i found myself in a hole where i was spending more than i could afford. Trying to get game xxxx 'cause xxxx had it. Etc. Trying to get games cause others wanted them. THen somthing amazing happened, I looked around saw i had a decent family and friends, not to menation a great lady; Then i looked down and noticed i didn't need to buy items to make up my willy (don't you just love puberty?).

Anyway, revision for me now, But i do enjoy your comments. Clearly i'm a lightweight drinker, which is great. Next, let's compare censored sizes.

What do you mean if?

You arent half talking a load of old sh*te :lol:
Retropassion reborn