Collect or Play

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

the_b1ues

Collect or Play

Post by the_b1ues » Wed May 19, 2010 2:09 pm

So recently with less time on my hands i find that i seem to be playing retro less and less and mainly sticking with the 360, is there anyone else on here that collects more than they play?

C=Style

Re: Collect or Play

Post by C=Style » Wed May 19, 2010 2:27 pm

Other way around for me, less 360 but way more retro. hehe

davekam

Post by davekam » Wed May 19, 2010 2:30 pm

I think it is a good mix for me. I tend to stockpile up on games, but I do plan to play all of them eventually.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed May 19, 2010 2:31 pm

Yeah, I tend to buy for older systems but only spend time with newer ones. Not sure why :?

Montytom

Post by Montytom » Wed May 19, 2010 2:48 pm

I collect and also play it's a waste otherwise it's what they are for

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Wed May 19, 2010 2:58 pm

I play a lot, don't get me wrong, but collecting is a major part of my gaming interest. I love finding and purchasing difficult to find games. Saying that, I won't go and buy something rare if I've no interest in playing it, so no Barbie Horse Adventures in my Xbox collection then ;)

Right now I'm very focused on collecting up games for consoles approaching the end of their natural shelf lives. I'll probably go through a spell soon enough of saving up money for whaterver, and its at times like those where I'll give quite the bit of attention to those games I've accumulated during big spending periods.
Nintendo DS games: 41

KillingRaptor

Post by KillingRaptor » Wed May 19, 2010 4:18 pm

Here it's also collecting and playing. And it really changes from time to time if my interest goes to current gen consoles or retro, right now it's retro again.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed May 19, 2010 4:19 pm

I have all my imports in clear dvd sleeves, and because of this I can't be bothered to play them anymore. :lol:

Thus all I have to play is SSFIV and Tekken 6 PAL. :mrgreen:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed May 19, 2010 5:14 pm

No point in collecting games if you're never going to play them :| You may as well collect pieces of string.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed May 19, 2010 5:15 pm

I er

do. :lol:

Most are installed to my PS2 HDD, don't worry. :P
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Wed May 19, 2010 5:31 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:No point in collecting games if you're never going to play them :| You may as well collect pieces of string.
But pieces of string haven't got fancy box art though :D

No really, collecting for me is so I can have a library of games to play when I get the inclination. Oh, I feel like Tennis *pulls out Mario Tennis*. I feel like jet-skiing tnight *pulls out Wave Race: Blue Storm*. I feel like an epic RPG adventure *pulls out Chrono Trigger*, etc.

I suppose you can always go on eBay and buy a given video game when you want one, but its nice to have the games on the shelf, ready to go.... I always make sure I only buy ones though that I know I want to play at least at some point in the future.....

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed May 19, 2010 5:51 pm

Mr Vengeance wrote:No really, collecting for me is so I can have a library of games to play when I get the inclination. Oh, I feel like Tennis *pulls out Mario Tennis*. I feel like jet-skiing tnight *pulls out Wave Race: Blue Storm*. I feel like an epic RPG adventure *pulls out Chrono Trigger*, etc.

I suppose you can always go on eBay and buy a given video game when you want one, but its nice to have the games on the shelf, ready to go.... I always make sure I only buy ones though that I know I want to play at least at some point in the future.....
I don't want to get into another arguement with the 'collectors' on here...obviously we don't completely see eye to eye, so lets just leave it at that :lol:

but....

That being said, that's the kind of 'collecting' I don't mind, games that you actually want and at least have the intention of playing, although that makes you more of a 'player' than a 'collector' IMHO. What I don't get is people who just like to put the games on their shelves and leave them there, frozen like ornaments, never even once firing them up to appreciate all the hard work and effort that was put into making them (much more so than just designing the cover art).... :?
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Thu May 20, 2010 7:25 am

ToxieDogg wrote:
Mr Vengeance wrote:No really, collecting for me is so I can have a library of games to play when I get the inclination. Oh, I feel like Tennis *pulls out Mario Tennis*. I feel like jet-skiing tnight *pulls out Wave Race: Blue Storm*. I feel like an epic RPG adventure *pulls out Chrono Trigger*, etc.

I don't want to get into another arguement with the 'collectors' on here...obviously we don't completely see eye to eye, so lets just leave it at that :lol:

but....

That being said, that's the kind of 'collecting' I don't mind, games that you actually want and at least have the intention of playing, although that makes you more of a 'player' than a 'collector' IMHO. What I don't get is people who just like to put the games on their shelves and leave them there, frozen like ornaments, never even once firing them up to appreciate all the hard work and effort that was put into making them (much more so than just designing the cover art).... :?
Well I suppose it does make me a player, but I do like to "collect" and have games that are noteworthy. I do agree that buying games without ever playing them is possibly going a bit far... but whatever turns people on, right? Its there money after all, no matter what others think.

I think "complete" collections are probably a waste of money, as you end up buying games that are rubbish, and that money would be better put into decent games on other formats. I said this the other day that there are exceptions, for example, a complete NeoGeo Pocket collection is fine as its a superb format, with only a couple of duffers, that really won't drain you, but going for say, a complete Game Boy Advance collection would be mad in my book as its got far too much rubbish on it to justify it!

Sealed games collections are another thing I'm a bit miffed at. But a I said, its their money so who are we to judge what they do with it? At least they make for some interesting YouTube videos! :D

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu May 20, 2010 7:31 am

I'm more of a player tbh. I only buy what I know I'm going to play, otherwise it's a waste.
I do collect SOME things though. For instance, I tend to collect my favourite games on all platforms I can get them for (Street Fighter II especially) but that's as far as it goes.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu May 20, 2010 7:37 am

I like to look at games on my shelf. They make me feel good.
PLUS I know I have the option to play any of them, at any time I like.

Sweet.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.