Spectrum Allstars Volume 1

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroTrader.Com

Spectrum Allstars Volume 1

Post by RetroTrader.Com » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:26 pm

Guys dont forget you can now buy Spectrum Allstars Volume 1 , which is 50 classic Sinclair Spectrum games running in a easy to use menu driven emulator system , on your current PC , with games such as 3D Ant Attack on it !!

Volume 2 will be released in a few weeks also with classics like Skool Daze on it !!

They can be bought through the www.retrotrader.com online store , Amazon , Play.com next week , and rolling out through the high street as well over the coming weeks , or make sure you go in your local games store and order one through them , supporting both them and us !!

C64 Volume 1 is not far off either , plus dont forget our other PC games already out and coming out soon , such as the cool Shokrok Throwdown , the real fun Spacetanks , which is made by Yawsoft the C64 guys , and ETROM which scored a four stars out of four stars review this week in NUTs magazine , the same score as Premier Manager 2006-2007 !! So dont miss out on these games , they really are good , and most of them are budget priced at just £4.99 !!

Thanks !

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:06 pm

Don't forget you can now pay us for someone else's hard work!

I'd like to see the mechanics of the money going to the original authors and publishers for this.

And what exactly this offers me that's easier than downloading a .tap from world of spectrum and doing "File" "open" on a just as easy to find emulator.

(The website of the "product" rather helpfully appears to be the W3C, which I find unlikely)
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

devilman

Post by devilman » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:30 pm

I imagine that fifty Spectrum games don't exactly make much of a dent on the capacity of a CD either.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:31 pm

I got 4000 speccy games and 2000 C64 games +emulators for a tenner. That was before I realised I could download them all for free.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:03 pm

An actual list of the games would help sell this to me. Its only 50 games, it wouldn't take much effort. I can see Moon Cresta in there and its swaying me, but not quite enough on its own...

When do we see the Retro Gamer review? Next issue?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:05 pm

Yes but you could download it from world of spectrum and give exactly as much to the original author I suspect.

Hell, if you're really confused I'll email the sodding thing to you.

If royalities are going in sensible quantities to the original copyright holders then I'm willing to publically apologise.

But if this is what I think it is then I REALLY dislike people profiting off, basically, piracy.

And if it is what I think it is, there's no way RG will touch it.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:58 pm

Does retrotrader deal with piracy? It's possible to get the rights to sell these games from the original publishers for next to nothing. I'd assume that's what's happened.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:12 am

And I'd be interested in the answer on that.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:11 am

I seem to remember from an earlier post of his that he has obtained the rights.

I may be wrong though....

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:36 am

They're not all old games, Loco Bingo and Mister Fruity were only written last year and both of those are quite different to anything you've played before. It's certainly a great opportunity to introduce - via the back door - new Spectrum games to people who wouldn't otherwise know about them. We all know that old machines are still supported, but unless he reads Retro Gamer Joe Public doesn't just yet.

It's an odd feeling to know that there are new Spectrum games in the shops in 2006, and they're a little bit more original than some of the modern console crap out there.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:38 am

Retro Gamer is reviewing this in issue 29...

RetroTrader.Com

Post by RetroTrader.Com » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:49 am

All games on the discs are licensed from the respective rights owners , contracts in place , etc. and yes everyone gets the approp' cut of the profit yes. Without wishing to start the flame war , currently we have not asked WOS to remove 95% of the games from their site which we have the rights to , you may also have noticed amazon no longer allow the pirate versions on their site , we have a very good working relationship with Amazon , Commodore International , The C64 rights owners , I in fact have a meeting this week coming with the Amiga rights owners , etc etc. if you check out the www.alten8.com site , or the offshot www.retro-soft.co.uk site you will see that we hold over 500 retro game licenses and more in progress , that is without the expanding list of PC games , GBA and DS on the way PLUS mobile phone games and some other secret projects with some international companies which are under NDA at this point. We are in real terms only just moving into the realms of actual real sales , as after being let down badly by a publishier last year , we decided to go it alone and place a huge chunk of MY personal money into the Alten8 project. This is now , afterover 18 months of real hard work now turning into reality. With the first GBA game in the shops (GT Racer) the first four PC games in the shops , PSP items coming , DS games in development , and over 40 PC games / compliations backed up to release. So to sum up -

* ONLY licensed content / under contract content on Alten8 releases

* All people get paid :0)

* Quality games but at generally budget prices

* Retro and all new content , in fact one of the only companies to REALLY sign up homebrew / indie games and put them into the shops AND give them the best percentage of net profit in the world I would say...

* We have so many surprises just around the corner , you will be shocked at some of DS games signed and in the making which will excite you retro gamers big time.... all in good time !

Hope that fills in the blanks , do pop on over to the Alten8 site and take in some of the video trailers and see a few of the things coming up - NUTS magazine this week scored ETROM at four stars out of four stars , the same score it game Premier Manager 2006-2007 in fact even.

merman

Post by merman » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:44 pm

Dudley in ill-informed hasty posting shocker! :lol:
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:23 pm

If what retrotrader says is true (and I have no reason not to believe him) then its great news. That is unless they do demand WOS remove the downloads :?

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:16 pm

Then I unreservadly apologise and will go and order a copy right now.

I would only add you might have wanted to make that clear up front given the number of these crap ones available and also that you might want to fix the link on your site, and make the above very clear.

EDIT : I'm not entirely convinced by your interpretation of the distance selling regs btw but it's very smart.