Call of Duty Black Ops

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

SpiffierRabbit

Call of Duty Black Ops

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Sat May 01, 2010 12:23 pm

Last edited by SpiffierRabbit on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SexyWayne

Re: Call of Duty Black Ops Teaser Trailer

Post by SexyWayne » Sat May 01, 2010 3:43 pm

Looks like its definately gonna have some sort of Cold War setting, judging by the SR-71 Blackbird in the trailer, and Vietnam with the Bell UH1 chopper, also looked to have a cockpit shot of a Huey Cobra

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat May 01, 2010 4:51 pm

Is it 3D?

It is?

Meh, not interested :evil:

:lol:
Nintendo DS games: 41

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Sat May 01, 2010 5:01 pm

In depth trailer in slow mo... http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gt-po ... l-of/65165

Quite gory in places, some dude loses a leg!

My guess, is that its Soap and his past missions via flashbacks.
Either way, I want it!

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat May 01, 2010 5:26 pm

Sure it will be fine but I have so many Call of Duty games already that I'm not particulalry desperate to own it. I would guess that the Game Trailers website is one that most of us check into very frequently anyway and they will (as they always do) post way too many little details about plot and characters and stuff that even I'm that not that much of a saddo to care about.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sat May 01, 2010 5:30 pm

As much as I love the COD series, and have shown that many times with rants in threads ;), I really don't like Treyarch. The IW COD gams have all been superb, the others have been interesting but missing that certain something.

MC1

Post by MC1 » Sat May 01, 2010 5:55 pm

I wonder if Treyarch are capable of making a game where the enemy dont throw 3 thousand grenades at you on every level.

I bet if you could go for a $hite on an a spaceship, they'd have someone throwing grenades over the top of the bog!

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Sat May 01, 2010 6:14 pm

MC1 wrote:I wonder if Treyarch are capable of making a game where the enemy dont throw 3 thousand grenades at you on every level.
Like waht IW did in COD 2 & 4?

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sat May 01, 2010 11:10 pm

Naah...Although the IW games are known for the shower of grenades you get attacked by, the Treyarch games did it much worse. The first 2 consoles games were pretty poor when compared to the PC games (not including COD 2 on the 360, natch), and COD 3 did the same. And don't even get me started on World at War.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun May 02, 2010 9:07 am

Do I have to shoot people in this one too?
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Sun May 02, 2010 9:40 am

Ill admit that World Of War was actually a really decent game when i finally decided to play it. I bought the game at the right time, just as they patched the multiplayer to stop people going under the maps, so maybe this Treyarch game will be ok. Thing is, i have played all the Call Of Duty games, and played the Modern Warfare games so much that im actually board of Call Of Duty now, what ever form it takes. Im actually prefering Battlefield these days.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun May 02, 2010 9:50 am

Treyarch are in a good poition to make the multiplayer even better than MW2.

If they address the balancing issues and tweek the online code, to eliminate corner shots for example, it'll be great.

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Sun May 02, 2010 10:22 am

It looks quite nice, but then they always do with teaser trailers, same with Medal of Honour.

If Treyarch iron out the issues from thier previous releases, especially the mega death grenade sessions, the inability to shoot through clearly visible areas within the scenery & dumb AI then it will be a good starting point.

I still think they have a good opportunity on this one though to release a very good war game within the Vietnam setting!
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue May 11, 2010 7:22 pm

A few details released today...

* Four-player co-op is confirmed.
* You'll play at least two characters in multiple international conflicts.
* American and Russian black operatives have been consulted. Given the above points, we reckon that means you might play on both sides of the conflict
* Exact setting dates haven't been revealed, but the game will play out over a long period of history.
* As black ops teams were privy to superior intelligence and had free access to any equipmenent they wanted, weapons and ammo will be more varied this time around. A military crossbow has been confirmed so far, but it's not just for sniping. CoD:BO (unfortunately aromatic acronym) allows on-the-fly ammo changes for some of its weapons, so the bow can also be fitted out with exploding arrows.
* There's also an AUG assault rifle that will take multiple attachments.

* The SR-71 Blackbird is the new AC-130. During one level, the recon plane is used to observe terrain from above, with the player directing the squad below with a pointer in order to help them avoid enemy Russian convoys. Immediately after this, you'll take control of the squad on the ground.
* Treyarch head Mark Lamia has said that the game is 'epic in scope', being focused around a story that 'has meaning and character and will be multi-threaded'. Perhaps more of an indication that Treyarch will be giving the Cold War an ambiguous, mutli-sided treatment?
* CoD: BO is using the same full-actor motion-capture technology as Avatar. That means that not just gestures, but whole performances are captured, right down to facial expressions and line delivery. Expect some serious emoting this time around.
* It looks like Treyarch is following Modern Warfare's lead in terms of big action movie set-pieces. Cliff-diving and rappelling through windows are already in.

thl

Post by thl » Fri May 14, 2010 11:10 am

More gameplay details available on this link:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=246541