Seymour

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

CrookieMonster

Seymour

Post by CrookieMonster » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:10 pm

Does anybody remember the Seymour games? They were like Dizzy but in more realistic environments. Did you enjoy them?

SexyWayne

Re: Seymour

Post by SexyWayne » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:16 pm

I played Stuntman Seymour to death when it first came out, pretty good New Zealand Story clone

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:18 pm

i remember them,they were good.I remember seymour goes to hollywood
Last edited by Fred83 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

fgasking

Post by fgasking » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:04 pm

Super Seymour Saves the Planet was a pretty neat Bombjack clone too with some awesome backgrounds:

I never really got into the adventure games though, even though they were very similar to Dizzy.
Hunting and reporting on lost/unreleased games...

C64 - http://www.gtw64.co.uk
All formats - http://www.gamesthatwerent.com (Inc links for Amiga, PC, 3DO)
My blog - http://fgasking.wordpress.com

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:11 pm

Was there not a short demo version that was given away with a mag just before the first game hit? iirc it was basically it's own small game, really loved it but never really bothered with the actual Seymour games.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:12 pm

I've got all of them on the Speccy.

Seymour Goes To Hollywood was great, only really let down by the annoying 'maze' bit in between the studios.

The weakest game of the bunch was Wild West Seymour....way too easy, and it hinted at a follow up that never came... :(
Elgin_McQueen wrote:Was there not a short demo version that was given away with a mag just before the first game hit? iirc it was basically it's own small game, really loved it but never really bothered with the actual Seymour games.
Yeah, that was Seymour: Take One, given away free with Your Sinclair and, I think, Amstrad Action. Was a pretty cool little freebie :)
Last edited by ToxieDogg on Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:13 pm

woundnt mind a retroinspection on it now,like we had with dizzy :D

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Sat May 01, 2010 4:53 am

ToxieDogg wrote:I've got all of them on the Speccy.

Seymour Goes To Hollywood was great, only really let down by the annoying 'maze' bit in between the studios.

The weakest game of the bunch was Wild West Seymour....way too easy, and it hinted at a follow up that never came... :(
Elgin_McQueen wrote:Was there not a short demo version that was given away with a mag just before the first game hit? iirc it was basically it's own small game, really loved it but never really bothered with the actual Seymour games.
Yeah, that was Seymour: Take One, given away free with Your Sinclair and, I think, Amstrad Action. Was a pretty cool little freebie :)
Yeah it was on Amstrad Action. I wasn't aware it was on another magazine as well...

merman

Post by merman » Sat May 01, 2010 11:21 am

SexyWayne wrote:I played Stuntman Seymour to death when it first came out, pretty good New Zealand Story clone
Actually, it's more a clone of CJ's Elephant Antics (which was inspired by NZS, or more accurately Choice Software's unfinished conversion)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sat May 01, 2010 11:29 am

Well I thought most people would be more familiar with NZS than CJ :P :wink:

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat May 01, 2010 5:55 pm

Enjoyed Seymour but loved CJ. Both elephant antics and in the USA were very good.
Dj Puff was good too. Amazing music.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

fgasking

Post by fgasking » Sat May 01, 2010 7:54 pm

Speaking to the dev of Stuntman Seymour (and DJ Puff), Duncan Kershaw, a while back- he told me that he was great friends with the Genesis crew who did the CJ games. They found it hilarious that he took the basic CJ engine (Well, via his own code) and did various spin off titles and would quite often take the censored out of him for it :)

However, Duncan conceded that he couldn't quite do as good a job like with CJ, as his map compression techniques were crap in comparison. As a result, you'll notice that later levels for Stuntman Seymour and DJ Puff are quite empty/sparse in comparison to the earlier ones - which was literally because he ran out of memory :)
Hunting and reporting on lost/unreleased games...

C64 - http://www.gtw64.co.uk
All formats - http://www.gamesthatwerent.com (Inc links for Amiga, PC, 3DO)
My blog - http://fgasking.wordpress.com

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun May 02, 2010 4:01 am

Dizrythmia wrote:Yeah it was on Amstrad Action. I wasn't aware it was on another magazine as well...
It was probably a deal with the publisher....Your Sinclair and Amstrad Action were both Future Publishing magazines :)
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun May 02, 2010 9:06 am

There was a time when I'd buy anything released by the awesomness known as Codemasters! :lol:
CJ and Seymour were great fun.
It also helped that a lot of Codemasters games were within reach of my pocket money at the time! :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

sdaonline

Post by sdaonline » Mon May 03, 2010 2:51 am

I liked the Hollywood one but I could never finish it or figure out what I had to do, nor could I finish a Dizzy game for the same reasons. By the time I have a vague idea, I'd run out of lives!