Pick 1 game to play forever

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

eggman1973

Re: Pick 1 game to play forever

Post by eggman1973 » Sat May 01, 2010 10:05 pm

Rainbow Islands, either on the MegaDrive or an Amiga (with a SMS / MD joypad)... Happy days indeed, though I still can't beat it!

:D

lostSUNDAY

Post by lostSUNDAY » Sun May 02, 2010 2:29 am

Argh, hard call. A part of me would pick an arcade game, you can get alot of replay value when chasing hi-scores. Something like DoDonpachi maybe.
But my inital feeling was actually Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. It's just such an amazing game, and there's so much to do. Im one of those ppl that can beat an RPG and then reroll as a different class and beat it all again. Over and over and over...
Play for Today My SEGA youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/lostSUND4Y

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Sun May 02, 2010 4:20 am

Swos (PC) or Champ Manager 2001/2.
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun May 02, 2010 5:00 am

STILL playing World of Warcraft after nearly 6 years. I've been involved since the closed beta. :lol:

I've seen an enormous amount of changes with the game since way back when, and I can see exactly how it's influenced (and still continues to influence) modern MMORPG design. I'm not going to get dragged into a discussion on that (as it's a subject that deserves a thread in it's own right) but it HAS changed (and changed the nature of MMOs in general) enormously.

While World of Warcraft won't be around forever (current estimates put it at 1-2 years left, before it goes F2P) I'm almost certain to go with Blizzard's in-development MMORPG. Even though it's nothing to do with the Warcraft franchise I'm still interested. Especially as World of Warcraft's Chief Dev Jeff Kaplan, or "Tigole Bitties" as he called himself left to head up the project. Kaplan is a vociferous evangelist of Hardcore raiding, and since Wrath of the Lich King (Warcraft's last expansion) made Raiding very very casual-friendly, I'm expecting the new MMORPG to be very Raid-centric indeed.

*For those who don't know; a "Raid" is basically where you get lots of players together for an epic sprawling Dungeon romp that can take several hours - or even days - to complete. Very fun with your friends.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Chelsea NW

Post by Chelsea NW » Sun May 02, 2010 5:56 am

X-Com Ufo on the pc/laptop. Completed this classic many times but still play it regularly.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Sun May 02, 2010 6:46 am

MMM, thats hard, but i have narrowed it down to one of 3 games.
1. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, will take you forever to fully complete.
2. San Andreas, because its massive and never gets old.
3. Shenmue, because its a classic.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sun May 02, 2010 10:36 am

Freestyler wrote:STILL playing World of Warcraft after nearly 6 years. I've been involved since the closed beta. :lol:

I've seen an enormous amount of changes with the game since way back when, and I can see exactly how it's influenced (and still continues to influence) modern MMORPG design. I'm not going to get dragged into a discussion on that (as it's a subject that deserves a thread in it's own right) but it HAS changed (and changed the nature of MMOs in general) enormously.

While World of Warcraft won't be around forever (current estimates put it at 1-2 years left, before it goes F2P) I'm almost certain to go with Blizzard's in-development MMORPG. Even though it's nothing to do with the Warcraft franchise I'm still interested. Especially as World of Warcraft's Chief Dev Jeff Kaplan, or "Tigole Bitties" as he called himself left to head up the project. Kaplan is a vociferous evangelist of Hardcore raiding, and since Wrath of the Lich King (Warcraft's last expansion) made Raiding very very casual-friendly, I'm expecting the new MMORPG to be very Raid-centric indeed.

*For those who don't know; a "Raid" is basically where you get lots of players together for an epic sprawling Dungeon romp that can take several hours - or even days - to complete. Very fun with your friends.
For fear of it taking over my everyday life, owing to my addictive personality, I decided a few years ago to never play World of Warcraft, as I simply could not handle it, and I wouldn't have any time left to do other things or pasttimes.

The Internet is addictive enough without throwing gameplay into the mix :shock:
Nintendo DS games: 41

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun May 02, 2010 11:45 am

Mr Vengeance wrote:For fear of it taking over my everyday life, owing to my addictive personality, I decided a few years ago to never play World of Warcraft, as I simply could not handle it, and I wouldn't have any time left to do other things or pasttimes.

To be honest I don't blame you in the slightest. Most MMORPGs are a massive timesink, even the so-called "Casual" ones.
Even though you might only be Raiding from 8PM (let's say) there's usually a lot of "behind the scenes" work that needs to be done to get into the raid in the first place. Potions need to be gotten. Scrolls, Flasks etc. Money has to be earned for repair bills.

No wonder MMOs are always considered "No-Life" games. Even if the life you do eventually get is mostly Virtual to compensate.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sun May 02, 2010 1:40 pm

Freestyler wrote:
Mr Vengeance wrote:For fear of it taking over my everyday life, owing to my addictive personality, I decided a few years ago to never play World of Warcraft, as I simply could not handle it, and I wouldn't have any time left to do other things or pasttimes.

To be honest I don't blame you in the slightest. Most MMORPGs are a massive timesink, even the so-called "Casual" ones.
Even though you might only be Raiding from 8PM (let's say) there's usually a lot of "behind the scenes" work that needs to be done to get into the raid in the first place. Potions need to be gotten. Scrolls, Flasks etc. Money has to be earned for repair bills.

No wonder MMOs are always considered "No-Life" games. Even if the life you do eventually get is mostly Virtual to compensate.
I'd image though you get some serious enjoyment out of WoW. Its a sacrifice I have to make - when you're spent many thousands of hours playing RPGs in the past, going online and playing with like-minded individuals would be really too much for me!

Some day maybe ;)
Nintendo DS games: 41

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Sun May 02, 2010 3:30 pm

One game to play forever. Blimey.
Torn between Ridge Racer Type 4 and Fallout 3.
I'll go with Ridge Racer as the world of Fallout is a blasted gloomy one, considering how it'd be my ONLY game :)

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Mon May 03, 2010 12:12 am

I'm leaning towards Super Mario World because I've always said it was gaming perfection. Civilisation would also be a good option because it's a different game every time you play...

james82

Post by james82 » Mon May 03, 2010 8:07 am

imaxeroker85 wrote:WWF NO Mercy for the n64...been playing it for almost 10 years non stop, gone through 2 nintendo consoles just to play it some more
one of the best wrestling games along with wwf smackdown 2

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Mon May 03, 2010 9:56 am

I've been playing Chaos on the Speccy for the past 25 years now that is a life time for some people. Everygame has been different!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon May 03, 2010 10:38 am

One game forever? Would have to be one without a story , as I'd get bored of even the best eventually.

A game I'd need a lifetime to master?

That'd be Kick Off 2 then! :D
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon May 03, 2010 3:42 pm

no. I couldn't play one game forever....doesn't matter how good it is. That would mess with my sanity.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)