Taito Ninja Warriors

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

subzero

Taito Ninja Warriors

Post by subzero » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:24 am

This three screen game always sticks in my head, fair enough the gameplay wasnt brilliant but it had an edge, three screens and great music, just downloaded the soundtrack from it and the music is still brilliant. I can remember taking a portable cassette recorder to my local arcade just to record the music from my favourite games!!!

I miss my childhood!!

C=Style

Re: Taito Ninja Warriors

Post by C=Style » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:29 am

I was lucky enough to have a very local arcade and pool club where I grew up and they had one of these machines in there along with some other great games like Chase HQ, Robocop, Street Fighter, Zybots, P47, Super Sprint.

The only problem I had with this in the arcade is that it was insanely hard, at least that's how I remember it. But it had a really catchy tune, I remember that and the 3 screens were pretty cool.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:38 am

Woah.I remember playing this on the Amiga , then seeing the MCD version getting a hammering in Mean Machines. :wink:

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:02 am

Looked nice, but boy was it boring.... some nice touches tho such as your degrading suit as you took damage

Nice music too, I especially like the C64 music

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 pm

PC Engine version was pretty groovy as I recall

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:48 pm

There's also a SNES game, it's not really a port but more a sequel. It's better than the original but I still wouldn't say it's a great game or anything, well not from what I've played.

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:04 pm

I actualy dont mind this game, for a scrolling beat em up, simple but fun, the stupid crouched over guys with the metal arms always blocked your shirikun so had to go in for a knife attack...the damage system was pretty inventive at the time, I used to like getting down to the bare robot underneth and seeing how much further I could progress, simple times lol

I remember they had a three screen version at wonderland in cleethorpes and would keep pumping my 20p's in. Top music as well.

The sequal on the SNES isnt that bad, just typical of the time, bright big and bold, so wasnt a massive fan of it....oh and got boring fast...

I used to love the Taito 3 screen system, can only remember this and one of the DARIUS games using it, but was there others!?!?
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:21 pm

I remember playing the three screen version of this in 2 player with some guy in Torquay's Leisure 2000 really hard but I liked scrolling beat em ups and it looked nice.. The PC Engine on the other hand was really easy in comparison and looking at a 1 life Super Play of the arcade game not Arcade Perfect..

I also own Ninja Warriors again on the Super Famicom and can't understand how people think its limited.. It had loads of moves and special moves that are preformed with fireball and Dragon punch motions and proper tactic's for beating all the bosses.. In the review in Super Play 'Tony Mott' gave it 89%
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:42 pm

i had it on the mega cd..still have the mini soundtrack cd that came with it. very catchy tune but the game was dreadful!!

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:06 pm

tekaotaku wrote:I used to love the Taito 3 screen system, can only remember this and one of the DARIUS games using it, but was there others!?!?
There were only four games that used this system (apparently called TAITOVISION):
Darius
Darius II (also came in a two-screen version)
The Ninjawarriors
Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga Episode III (two-screen only)

Unfortunately I've never seen this game in the flesh (I've only ever seen a three-screen cab once- it was Darius and two of the monitors were broken. Turns out you can't really play the game like this) so I have to rely on emulation and it's certainly interesting- the amount of detail allowed by the huge resolution is nice, and your ninja loses armour depending on where they're hit. The ending is also surprisingly dark for a Taito game.

It's a bit basic, though, as there's not much game to it. You can jump, block, swing and throw shurikens and that's it. Doesn't help that some parts are obnoxiously difficult- the tank on the second stage springs to mind- and for a game like this, the stages are perhaps a tad too long. Still, it looks nice (check out the soulless red eyes on the soldier dudes- that's attention to detail!) and the three screens give you plenty of time to see what's coming towards you, which is neat!

The music is pretty ace, too.
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:12 pm

I had a tape with the music on from a magazine, use to love the tune. The game was well hard though, never saw the 2nd stage.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:23 pm

Tepid Snake wrote:
tekaotaku wrote:I used to love the Taito 3 screen system, can only remember this and one of the DARIUS games using it, but was there others!?!?
There were only four games that used this system (apparently called TAITOVISION):
Darius
Darius II (also came in a two-screen version)
The Ninjawarriors
Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga Episode III (two-screen only)

Unfortunately I've never seen this game in the flesh (I've only ever seen a three-screen cab once- it was Darius and two of the monitors were broken. Turns out you can't really play the game like this) so I have to rely on emulation and it's certainly interesting- the amount of detail allowed by the huge resolution is nice, and your ninja loses armour depending on where they're hit. The ending is also surprisingly dark for a Taito game.

It's a bit basic, though, as there's not much game to it. You can jump, block, swing and throw shurikens and that's it. Doesn't help that some parts are obnoxiously difficult- the tank on the second stage springs to mind- and for a game like this, the stages are perhaps a tad too long. Still, it looks nice (check out the soulless red eyes on the soldier dudes- that's attention to detail!) and the three screens give you plenty of time to see what's coming towards you, which is neat!

The music is pretty ace, too.

Does Buggy Boy count as a 3-screener?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:27 pm

paranoid marvin wrote: Does Buggy Boy count as a 3-screener?
Ah! Very nicely spotted! You are correct- Buggy Boy and TX-1 also used multiple screens, as well as Warzaid (Konami lightgun shooter with 2 screens), Driver's Eyes (Namco racer with 3 screens) and probably more I've forgotten. I made the mistake of specifically thinking of the Taito games that used that system.
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

roberthazelby

Post by roberthazelby » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:57 pm

I almost added the arcade of this to my collection a few years ago.

Unfortunately, the machine is so deep, the I would have had to have knocked part of the garden wall down to get it into the house (the house wasn't the issue as I had patio doors).

In the end I came home with a nice twin linked OutRunners set up.

To this day I wish I'd have been able to get this into the garden/house.
Xbox Live: roberthazelby | The Retro Ranch | The Retro Ranch Blog

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:41 pm

C=Style wrote:There's also a SNES game, it's not really a port but more a sequel. It's better than the original but I still wouldn't say it's a great game or anything, well not from what I've played.
I quite like Ninja Warriors on the SNES actually, it's a very decent side scrolling slash 'em up with a good level of challenge. Nice graphics too.

I wasn't the world's biggest fan of the original, but it was an OK game, the big screen made it stand out in the arcades and the music was excellent (probably what sticks in my mind most about it :) ). I mostly played the Speccy version of it which was a fair attempt at squeezing the game onto an 8 bit, but ultimately way too ambitious....black and white graphics with way too much going on on the screen, and the only real way to may any progress was to 'crouch walk' all the time and keep hammering the attack button. :(
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!