DSi XL Any good?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Nemesis

DSi XL Any good?

Post by Nemesis » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:42 am

Ok, I've got a DSi & it's pretty good but personally I find it a bit creaky/fragile compared to the DS Lite. Having wondered into John Lewis the other day, I managed to hold an DSi XL in my hands & thought it was pretty nice. First thing that hits you is the larger screens, but because it has a more substantial girth (ho ho!) the XL does feel more solid & durable than it's older sibling. Together with an improved battery performance it is a tempting proposition, plus I haven't bought any DSi ware titles with my own money at present.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

speedlolita

Re: DSi XL Any good?

Post by speedlolita » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:47 am

Honestly, it's too heavy.

I had one and the screen is nice - but for portability and actually playing games with minimal effort the DSi is the superior console which is why I traded down.

I think the XL is marketed at older people really.

Just my opinons.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

takesages

Post by takesages » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:43 am

I wonder if Nintendo could possibly make a system revision people wouldn't want?

Hey, doods. Here's a console. Now you have to pay to make it smaller. Oh, now you have to pay make it bigger again! Coming soon: Nintendo DS XL Micro

There's not much to the XL really. It's price is so close to the DS thats it's just about personal preference. If you think the bigger screens make up for the extra bulk, go for it. Personally I have no problems with the size of the screen as it is and I felt the XL was just a little big too big to be considered pocket friendly.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:24 pm

I didn't buy the DS Phat when it came out cause of the poor line-up of software initially (bar the outstanding Zoo Keeper), and only bought the DS when the DS Lite launched - stunning little system.

Had no real interest in the DSi really cause the camera just didn't appeal and the DS Ware that I seen wasn't really what I'm into.

Again when the DS XL appeared I had no interest at all - just looked like a bigger DS - then I seen one in the flesh in HMV :shock: Its massive! The screens are incredible! I really want one and am very tempted.... whilst the DS Lite is super-portable, the DS XL is very much like a system designed to be used at home. Price is quite high though but if have the money and a big interest in the DS in general, I'd go for it! :D
Nintendo DS games: 41

giss

Post by giss » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:09 pm

I really like the idea, to be honest. Thinking about buying one (I've never owned a DS).
I only want to use it at home anyways, I'm not planning to carry it around so it's a good version for me.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:13 pm

I'd be all over it like a rash having seen it, and I didn't have the Lite one already.....

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:21 pm

I was one of the people who got stung by Nintendo when the Lite came out. Now my phat in unkool. :?
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:33 pm

Loser :lol:

That thing was like a bogey prototype :?

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:56 pm

I really like the original E3 model honestly.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:14 pm

"too heavy"? :lol: I will admit it's not the most portable console going but then neither is the PSP in all fairness. They're both a far cry from a GB Micro. But I think the DSi XL is a superb hand held. I can tell you that the diffrence the screen size makes is amazing.

The graphics pop out at you and I think really make the most of the DS visuals. The bigger screens are the most crisp I've seen on a handheld, with very high contrast, absolutely no motion blur and good battery life. The extra size makes playing some of the more fiddly games a lot better in my view and Speccy DS looks incredible on it with more room for the stylus to move about in the menus. It's defensibly a proper update over the older models, also the sound is incredibly loud too for such a little machine.

The only thing is I don't think it's worth the money in all honesty. If you can get one for under £150 then cool. But I certainly don't regret buying mine, it's the best portable system I've owned yet.

ps. I went for the Chocolate brown colour, it looks really nice in the flesh. I wasn't a fan of the wine red one but this could be down to taste.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 pm

C=Style wrote:"too heavy"? :lol: I will admit it's not the most portable console going but then neither is the PSP in all fairness. They're both a far cry from a GB Micro. But I think the DSi XL is a superb hand held. I can tell you that the diffrence the screen size makes is amazing.

The graphics pop out at you and I think really make the most of the DS visuals. The bigger screens are the most crisp I've seen on a handheld, with very high contrast, absolutely no motion blur and good battery life. The extra size makes playing some of the more fiddly games a lot better in my view and Speccy DS looks incredible on it with more room for the stylus to move about in the menus. It's defensibly a proper update over the older models, also the sound is incredibly loud too for such a little machine.

The only thing is I don't think it's worth the money in all honesty. If you can get one for under £150 then cool. But I certainly don't regret buying mine, it's the best portable system I've owned yet.

ps. I went for the Chocolate brown colour, it looks really nice in the flesh. I wasn't a fan of the wine red one but this could be down to taste.
Thanks for your comments C=Style, I was hoping somebody was going to comment on the screens & other advantages. I've now got some serious thinking to do! :) By the way, how do you get a Spectrum emulator on your DSi, I thought you needed one of those R4 cart thingies & a DS Lite/DS Phat?
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:00 pm

Certain flashcarts work on the DSi XL :wink: I have an AceKard 2i and it's great.

Foolishly I spent over £200 on mine from Gamestation with a game and 2 years extra warranty (they saw me coming LOL) but even then, it's still a worthwhile purchase for me. I've enjoyed the games so much more this time around from when I had a standard DSL before. I think the large screens make a terrific difference tbh.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:44 am

I really want one :(

But then again I want loads of censored :roll: You's all know what I'm like at this stage :lol: I want one of everything :shock:

Realistically, I'd probably be better off holding out on the system for a while - the 3DS will be out later this year, and I'll likely get one of those if its any good. Or if its not, I might be able to snag a cheap DS XL. I must be patient! But still, if I didn't have any DS right now and bit bit of cash, I'd get the XL in the morning!

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:33 pm

We've skipped over the DSi (from DS Lite) and will be getting a DSi XL (what a bloody mouthful to say. Sounds like you're giving a censored ALGEBRA lecture! :roll: ) soon.

Obviously it won't be for outside. My kids arms aren't that strong. :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:53 pm

Mr Vengeance wrote:Loser :lol:

That thing was like a bogey prototype :?
The phat is awesome - solid build quality (especially those buttons) and looks pretty sophisticated with it's sleek silver finish.

The Lite may have been technically better (the screens) but it feels like a cheap piece of crap compared to the original. the buttons feel cheap and wobbly/loose and the whole thing feels like I could snap it in two with a single sneeze.

Don't know how similar the DSi is though because I never fell for that one :wink:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.