Anybody collect DS games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Re: Anybody collect DS games?

Post by ShadowMan » Sat May 15, 2010 6:07 pm

Mr Vengeance wrote:
Anyway Shadowman, I noticed a real lack of Megaman games on my travels. I've been through literally thousands of DS games across Dublin, but have only encountered one Megaman game - wasn't one of the shooters I don't think. Didn't buy it as it was a bit beat-up. Just €20 though.
Yeah, the later MM games for the DS got nearly no distribustion here in England either. ZX Advent was impossible to find (got lucky and got it off of eBay later for £2.50!) and I'm 99% sure that Star Force 2 never saw a release here like it did in other parts of Europe (or if it did, it only had about 3 copies of each released!). You might get lucky and find the original ZX though, I have seen that pop up a couple of times where I live. I have a feeling Megaman Zero Collection will have a similar distribution problem when its released in a couple of months, this time I'll make sure to pre order it so I don't have the same problems with tracking down a PAL copy!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sat May 15, 2010 7:21 pm

Rayne wrote:I wouldn't say the PSP didn't have quality, it just didn't have as big an install base. In future more people will have had a DS & have fonder memories, more games have been released on DS, etc etc.

There's a few PSP games out there that fetch a few bob, Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness springs to mind...
The PSP, as I was saying before, was my favourite current-gen handheld up until recently. Games like Ridge Racer, Everybody's Golf, Gitaroo Man Lives, Lumines, Every Extend Extra and Wipeout are all tremendous titles, so I'm not trying to discredit the system in the slightest. However on the DS, you have mainstream games and many many titles that are near masterpieces (though admittedly, some of these are ports like Chrono Trigger). The sheer quantity of mere "excellent" or "very good" games is staggering on it as well.

As great as the PSP is, I don't think in the long term its software will be as highly regarded as the DS's finest - games like Mario Kart DS, Brain Training, Professor Layton, New Super Mario Bros. etc - these are not only great games, but they cross boundaries between core and casual gamers. So whilst I love the PSP, as a system I don't believe its quite up to the DS in terms of sheer quality or cultural impact - the DS really is an astounding system.
ShadowMan wrote:
Mr Vengeance wrote:
Anyway Shadowman, I noticed a real lack of Megaman games on my travels. I've been through literally thousands of DS games across Dublin, but have only encountered one Megaman game - wasn't one of the shooters I don't think. Didn't buy it as it was a bit beat-up. Just €20 though.
Yeah, the later MM games for the DS got nearly no distribustion here in England either. ZX Advent was impossible to find (got lucky and got it off of eBay later for £2.50!) and I'm 99% sure that Star Force 2 never saw a release here like it did in other parts of Europe (or if it did, it only had about 3 copies of each released!). You might get lucky and find the original ZX though, I have seen that pop up a couple of times where I live. I have a feeling Megaman Zero Collection will have a similar distribution problem when its released in a couple of months, this time I'll make sure to pre order it so I don't have the same problems with tracking down a PAL copy!
So what your saying is, none of the Mega Man games are in anyway common on the DS then? Whatever that game was, I might go back and get it :)
Nintendo DS games: 41

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat May 15, 2010 7:36 pm

The Starforce games are fairly common (and terrible :lol: )

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun May 16, 2010 3:42 am

I think I've only ever come across Starforce Peagasus in a shop before, but Leo and Dragon dom pop up in eBay for cheap a lot of the time. Starforce 2 though is extremely rare in UK packaging so in the unlikely event you do see either it would be a good idea to pick them up!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sun May 16, 2010 12:50 pm

Are they any good to play Shadowman?

I'll be honest with you, I haven't played a Mega Man game since Mega Man 3 on the NES :oops:

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Sun May 16, 2010 12:54 pm

I never much liked ZX. I'm Endgame now, but it seems... Eh. Too non-linear for my tastes, I expected to be thrown straight in, akin to MM and MMX.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sun May 16, 2010 1:04 pm

I don't know all that much about the Mega Man series, outside of it being the vastest series of games known to man :shock: Shadow did recommend me have a look at the X series on the SNES and Saturn though - on inspection of said games on YouTube, I was very impressed :)

The DS ones didn't get great reviews though, being a bit Metroidvania, which Mega Man games aren't really designed to be like. You've got those Battle Network style ones too on the DS right?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun May 16, 2010 2:32 pm

You know, if I did decide to move on to another console after my N64 collecting, I think I'd probably choose the DS as well. It's gotta be one of the best Nintendo consoles ever for sheer quality/originality of games. The problem is, time I get round to doing that all the best games will be rare and super expensive no doubt.

All this Nintendo goodness means I don't have time for the current gen, even my Wii get's neglected now, let alone my 360 which is hardly ever switched on, and why would I? All the best games are on the N64/DS/Wii. :mrgreen:

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun May 16, 2010 2:37 pm

Although PS2 is my biggest priority I'll move on to DS as well, starting with this beauty I saw in store today :D

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 16, 2010 2:41 pm

My local co-op has Megaman ZX (the regular version not the 'advent' edition) for less than £10 new.

I'd buy it but their storage system is so retarded, having to pay for an empty case then take it and the receipt to another counter, wait for eons for somebody to come over THEN get the innards.

It's the only reason I haven't snapped up their cheap copies of Demolition Girl and Gunbird for the PS2 :(
Last edited by Megamixer on Sun May 16, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Mr Vengeance

Post by Mr Vengeance » Sun May 16, 2010 3:17 pm

C=Style wrote:You know, if I did decide to move on to another console after my N64 collecting, I think I'd probably choose the DS as well. It's gotta be one of the best Nintendo consoles ever for sheer quality/originality of games. The problem is, time I get round to doing that all the best games will be rare and super expensive no doubt.

All this Nintendo goodness means I don't have time for the current gen, even my Wii get's neglected now, let alone my 360 which is hardly ever switched on, and why would I? All the best games are on the N64/DS/Wii. :mrgreen:
My 360, as great as it as, isn't even hooked up at the minute - I've just had enough of it now for a while. Love the system dearly, but I just don't want to play western action and first person shooters right now. Will get back into the 360 in the autumn.

Regarding your DS collection aspirations C-Style, as you can tell, I'd highly recommend it. I feel that regarding my current plight of trying to round up Nintendo's finest, its quite difficult, so if I were you I'd start trying to pick up games now as soon as possible from the wild if I were you. Naturally, there are many second hand games on eBay that will be available for years, but as you know, prices are likely to go up. I have a bit of an issue however with second hand DS games - you've often had kids owning them, and thus the condition can be pretty bad, so that's why I'm going for new as much as possible. I had to go second hand for 2005 release Meteos, but luckily it was dirt cheap, and mint :mrgreen:

I actually think I arrived a little late to the DS collecting scene. I think if I'd have decided to go DS last year I'd have been better off, loads more available then. In those days, shop shelves were full of DS titles, sadly not the case now! :(
Rayne wrote:Although PS2 is my biggest priority I'll move on to DS as well, starting with this beauty I saw in store today :D

Tasty scratchy!!

Another one to get there for myself. Apparently there are over 1,000 games out there for the DS BTW :shock:

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Sun May 16, 2010 4:20 pm

I think I'm going to be buying DS games for the foreseeable- Ive been picking up Japanese GBA games recently as well, so I've really got the Nintendo handheld bug.

Fun, not especially expensive, plus the practical prospect of filling in many hours of commuting- triple win, basically :)
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun May 16, 2010 4:29 pm

When I start my new job soon (waiting for the CRB to come through) I should be able to put in a fair few hours during the night shift. A hand held system is essential to kill the hours.

At my last job I must have put in around 4 hours every night, if I wanted to be really unsociable I could put more in. Was great to catch up on so many top games heh. Most of the other staff I worked with had DS so we had some fun times on wireless Mario Kart and that Pictonary type game I forget the name of. DS is so good for wireless multiplayer.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Sun May 16, 2010 4:41 pm

Mario Kart DS is unbeatable if there's 3 or 4 of you, despite the blue shell issue.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun May 16, 2010 5:28 pm

Mr Vengeance wrote:Are they any good to play Shadowman?

I'll be honest with you, I haven't played a Mega Man game since Mega Man 3 on the NES :oops:
It varies depending on which one you play. ZX is a good game but has flaws which can ruin peoples enjoyment of the game. It mimics the Metroid and recent Castlevania stuff by giving you a large map to explore and as you gain more abilities you will be able to reach new areas etc. Unfortunately its pretty hard going working out just where you are supposed to go on many parts of the game and the map is extremely vague and is of little help.
ZX Advent pretty much fixed the above problem and is a better game because of it. I personally enjoyed the bosses and levels more than ZX as well plus it has a bunch of replayability thanks to the boss medal challenges. Both can get pretty tough later in the game as per most Megaman games.

Megaman Battle Network 5 DS is excellent if you like the BN series or are a fan of RPG's. It has both versions of BN 5 on 1 cart (the main difference is you fight different bosses and get different allies based on the version). This is also one of my favourite BN games (not to mention leagues better than the disapointing BN4)

Starforce is an odd series. Really the only thing that is Megaman related is the name and the vague design of the Megaman character. Bar that there's no returning characters or villains from other series. Its an RPG again that shares simularities with the BN series though the battle system got quite a make over. Each successive sequel is better than the last. Unfortunately SF3 never made it across to Europe so you'd need to import that one if you want to play it.